1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Science - It's life Jim but not as we know it...

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Treble, Feb 4, 2022.

1. brb

brb CR250

<laugh>

You were lucky then, I was going to put up a complex guitar version of it, basically some shhite a couple of reasonably intelligent guys had put together, but I thought nah, 606 won't be able to handle that lol. But yes it was bolloxs in the sense, whether it's piano or guitar, it's just people manipulating numbers and shifting away from the fixed formula to enable it to work. I found it interesting from the point of a memory game, what can I create from this memory of numbers, which afterall is what musicians do, just remember musical formulas, which is why so many songs always sound like another piece, you see me mentioning it often on the music thread. Well that's how my head works anyway.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Your main point is interesting in regard musicians but like you said the manipulation makes the point they are trying to make about the numbers pointless.

brb likes this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

They can only manipulate it so far though, due to the link between rhythm & math and between tone and math, break that and it becomes noise rather than music.

brb likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

I've got a bookmark on my laptop, called the Circle of Fifths, I generally use it to keep sort of theory stuff under or fret board layout and scales, well as we are on the subject of music and mathematics, this is the video from CoF... it's a long video, so just watch the first two minutes, and then choose whether to watch for longer...

5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Like hip hop? <whistle>

6. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

This is a brilliant, brilliant series. This episode especially so. If you haven't plugged into David Eagleman yet, then you really should.

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

See this is where I would say, 'I don't' to him - I don't image a blue bird, I just THINK of a bird, but I'm not actually visualising anything. It's a bit like when people talk about counting sheep, I don't. I struggle to understand how people visualise things, I never even use to know that people did visualise these things, I thought it was something that was just a saying, like an old wives tale because it wasn't something I experienced and the only way I eventually found out about it, was via a similar video to this.

I even struggle to understand how people write fictitious novels, how they make up things to such in-depth or create movies - so as he says in the video, everyone has a different experience and not all people can visualise pictures. So I'm Aphantasia, sounds gay as Sucky would say. I even have trouble describing people. I think if I could do that my brain would overload and explode lol. I have enough trouble unjumbling words and misreading stuff, the last thing I neeed is pictures confusing me even more.

Edit: and I get tired of having to edit my posts. <laugh>

Prince Knut likes this.
  8. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

As you'd maybe guess, I'm the complete opposite. I used to get told off for daydreaming and doodling in class, but I was trying to visualise the stories, facts and so forth they were telling me. It worked for most subjects apart from maths - I really struggled until later life when I did a GCSE with all the visual aids you get from the BBC and Youtube and suchlike.

We're all different, and that's the way it should be. My daughter is a mental health nurse though, and she reckons I'm autistic and 'neuro-divergent', whatever that means. I just know that watching Eagleman and various other neuro-physicists over the years has been a billion times more illuminating than doing a psychology A Level 30 years ago - just wish I had the resources at my fingertips then as I do now. Problem is that I watch documentary **** on the telly almost all the time I'm not walking or at the gym. Still, there's worse ways to ebb away your retirement years, I suppose. :biggrin:

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    brb likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

I can relate to your second paragraph. I'm far more interested in stuff now than I use to be - I want to learn now, which is just bonkers at my age. Like all the stuff I put up on here, and my music and other stuff I do such as languages. I just find it interesting. The more you learn, the more you want to learn, better than vegetating.

Prince Knut and Uncle Colm like this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'll watch that video in a bit but just on a general point I think I've heard somewhere before that some of us visualise through imagery and others see words? I might have that wrong.

Also when ppl are remembering something they'll look up to the left, and if they're lying they'll look up to the right. Because the right is accessing the imaginery visual cortex and the left is memory. I first heard of that when OJ Simpson was giving evidence. Long time ago so I might be misremembering it... which would be ironic <laugh>

In teaching, especially story writing we use LOTS of visual aids and strategies. So pictures, role play, talk for writing, even boxing up famous stories and characters to create your own etc. All from a very young age.

Prince Knut, Uncle Colm and brb like this.

11. brb

brb CR250

I don't see images or words, it's nothing just an empty space...

please log in to view this image

Uncle Colm and Treble like this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You've been listening to too much Phil Collins.

Uncle Colm and brb like this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

I only like him in the gorilla suit in the tv ad. <laugh>

duggie2000, Uncle Colm and Treble like this.
  14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

You aren't misremembering, but it was scientifically debunked about a decade ago.

Prince Knut, brb and Treble like this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The number of ppl who were wrongly convicted or exonerated. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Prince Knut and brb like this.
  16. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

People wont require an imagination soon anyways

AI will do it for you

17. Sucky

18. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

There is a drug going through trials that is expected to be widely available in 2030 that can regrow teeth. So if you have a tooth or teeth removed you can take the drug and your teeth will grow back.

Pretty cool.

19. Sucky

Saw that, sounds brilliant, would save dentist visits i guess

Widely available... Yeah at 500 quid a pack probably

Turbia Milk likes this.
  20. Sucky