1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheepfolds investment plans

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jan 20, 2022.

1. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to that ARC and its plans and why, it seemed to waste years , and why did the council turn its back on the Adelaide project a once in a lifetime chance ignored . I have attended a few council junkets and know what the fat cats like to spend money on,

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

The ARC fell down to the aftermath last f the crash and no one behind my willing to fund it. The other issue was that under the previous leadership they had a number of different papa so but no it me single strategic plan. The new leadership want d to pull everything together to into an overal vision to transform the city as a whole, hence the recruitment of a very good Chief Exec with experience of pulling big projects can s together. As a result the city is moving back n the right direction and attracting the funds to do it. Not government funds either.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Sounds good. <ok>

4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Bump. Approval for this one today, where Idols/Annabel's is/was......

5. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

There's a link in the article to the development masterplan that runs to 2040

Takes in both sides of the river and is mixed use, housing, offices and retail.

Its too big a file to upload but worth a look through

6. Oliver's Army

The new City Hall and hotel opposite look excellent imo. Big upgrade on what we had at the Civic. This culture house, plus the Fire Station, and if the 10k arena on Crowtree comes off the City Centre will be flying imo.

7. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

The masterplan really shows ambition and will hopefully be done quicker than 2040.

Plus I'm hoping that my place can get some work out of it :emoticon-0102-bigsm

8. Oliver's Army

Things seem to have picked up pace dramatically the last few years. Not just with plans and talk (we have had enough of those for years and years) but actual bricks and mortar and spades in the ground. Think there is something going up opposite the museum vaults just passed Vaux as well.
    Are you in the design/architecture field or building the stuff mate?

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  9. C Montgomery Burns

C Montgomery Burns Well-Known Member

Opposite the Museum Vaults is going to be a new multi story car park for the new eye hospital and the other offices to be built on Vaux. Behind that, going down Farringdon Row will be housing. The plans are pretty impressive.

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/06/25/mcalpine-wins-14m-sunderland-multi-storey-car-park/

https://faulknerbrowns.com/latest/news/riverside-sunderland-masterplan-revealed

I was at a meeting about it just before covid, and for the first time in my lifetime you could see ambition, but also an overall plan for the city. The masterplan covers both banks of the river, up to and including the area around the Northern Spire, as well as other areas of the city centre like Sunniside and the Civic centre site. 2040 might seem a long way off, but in reality it isn't and I think quite a few developments will come off much more quickly than people think.

10. Oliver's Army

Forgot about approval for the new eye infirmary, another great addition (joint venture with south Tyneside I think). There are a few things setting up on the south side of the spire bridge for the houses you mention, where Coles cranes was. I hope it all comes off mate, to see 10k rocking to a band in the City center and having it buzzing again would be brilliant. Let's have people getting the Metro TO Sunderland for a change.

11. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I'm. In the building the stuff camp, more specifically the flat roofs and cladding.

Going to try and follow up on this one with a couple of suppliers and get involved early doors with specs and assistance on current and future builds if we can.

You can do some stunning things with Roof areas and build them to last 50 plus years without repairs if you get people willing to listen and spend a little more at the start rather than pick the cheapest option now and have loads of issues medium term.

With this development and rumours of huge investment in other parts of the North East it could be an exciting few years and about time money was spent

12. The Professor

The Professor Well-Known Member

Just wish they would sort metro link to Durham. would link who of north east by rail, these zero emission plans are all well & good but loads of citys have poor transport links (yes i know i can get the bus) then poor parkimg options.

dont think council help the club the more the permit parking moves further out from the ground. understand must be frustrating for those living there but if yer buy a house next to a football ground what do you expect

13. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

it's about time stuff like this was done. Well done all involved.

Robertson likes this.
  14. Oliver's Army

Looks like they have slightly amended the design for the car park...

15. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

That looks bloody awful :azn:

Am I getting old :emoticon-0112-wonde

DH4 likes this.
  16. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought the building was already up wrapped in cling film.

Robertson and Makemstine Roger like this.
  17. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

I'm sure there'll be plenty moaning and complaining about it all. I remember "What's the point of a bridge there", when the plans for the Spier were being shown. Now its up, better access, I use it every day and cut my old 25 minute journey to work in half. Just one example there. Sunderland is starting to look better. Im sure there will be a few snide remarks here, but near by places like Hendon that are seen as rough areas anywhere else would be prime locations. 10 -20 minute walk along the road and you've got, Town centre, bars, park, international port, football stadium, metro / train link, cinema, bowling, beach etc. Anywhere else, housing there would cost double. It's about time Sunderland got a face lift and I'm glad it's happening.

18. Oliver's Army

They have started on the Train station as well.....

19. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I was walking from Penshaw to Coxgreen last Tuesday and Network Rail were there, not to service the bridge - they were looking along the lines. On Wednesday, I walked from Coxgreen to Mount Pleasant and noticed surveyors on the Fatfield Viaduct. An extension of either the Metro or the reopening of the route from Penshaw to Durham could be being studied.

20. Septem

Septem Active Member

I've heard that All Bar One are opening in new hotel. Wad talk about Lucianos going there but they preferred a national name. Apparently Lucianos have been offered where New Look is. Also heard As You Like It are opening somewhere around there and another couple of places I can't remember names of.