1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield Wednesday FC v Sunderland AFC – Monday 9th May 2022 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 7, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed May 9, 2022.
  1. Home win

5.1%
  2. Away win

41.8%
  3. Draw

53.2%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland visit Sheffield Wednesday in the Skybet League One Play-off Semi-Final
    SWFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0
    The Black Cats take a slender 1-0 lead to Hillsborough as they face the Owls in the return leg of the League One playoff semi-final.
    Alex Neil had called on the club, internal and external, to forget all that play-off heartache for now. There is nothing to be achieved by dwelling on that negativity, he had said. This is a good side who will turn up and give their all.
    Alex Neil is confident that Nathan Broadhead will feature in the return leg.
    Alex Neil:
    "I thought that we were excellent, it's live on Sky, it's a big game, but the players then have to take that expectation and atmosphere, soak it up, and try to put in a good performance, which I think they did.
    "The only disappointment from our point of view is that we didn't add to the scoreline. From half-time to about 75 minutes, we probably had two or three glorious chances to double the scoreline, and it certainly wouldn't have been any more than we deserved at that point.
    "I'm confident going into every game. I've won in big stadiums, the players have performed extremely well since I have been here, we carry a threat, and we are defensively solid. What's not to like?"
    “I really really enjoyed it and I thought that the fans were a credit to the club, so fair play to them, lets go and get the next win”
    Darren Moore:
    “We knew that it was going to be a difficult game today, it lived up to the expectation, they put us under a lot of pressure but credit the boys, it was difficult for us to get a foothold in the game because they kept us under relentless pressure.
    “I thought that after about the hour mark, with the energy that they’d put into the game, the pendulum then swung into our favour and we got more of a grip of it, but the first half was a ferocious pace, they played ever so well, Sunderland, credit to my boys, they stayed at it and we just had to make sure that we stayed in the game. That’s what they’ve done tonight.”
    “It didn’t go in our way tonight in what we wanted to do on the ball, but Sunderland didn’t allow us to do that. We regroup and then we go again on Monday. We’re going to have to try and get back in the game. If we want to wrestle it back we’re going to have to play better than we did tonight.
    form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    JAMES LININGTON
    Assistant Referees: Graham Kane and Rob Smith
    Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    (3-5-2) Patterson; Cirkin, Batth, Wright; Roberts, O’Nien, Evans, Gooch, Pritchard; Broadhead, Stewart.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Hoffmann, Doyle, Matete, Neil, Embleton, Clarke, McGeady
    Injured: Dajaku, Winchester, Willis, Huggins.

Sheffield Wednesday: (3-5-2) Peacock-Farrell, Dean, Storey, Hutchinson, Palmer, Johnson, Byers, Luongo, Bannan, Berahino, Gregory
    Subs: Gibson, Hunt, Dele-Bashiru, Windass, Dunkley, Paterson, Mendez-Laing
    Injured: Iorfa, Brennan, John-Jules

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    12/5 Sheff Wed 11/10 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    A good performance at a fantastic full Stadium of Light, just a shame that we didn’t get a second goal. This game is going to be even more tense than the last one, but I think that we will do it – just.

I’m going for a 1-1 draw.

No Live Stream as it’s Live – On SKY

Ha’way the Lads

2. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Another fantastic match thread @RTB

Personally think Broadhead will be on the bench to come on second half of he is needed.

Need calm heads to weather the initial storm

3. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Great stuff @RTB. I reckon your team is how the gaffer will go, if Broadhead is fit enough.

I was delighted he went 4 at the back yesterday as we had to be the offensive side at home and we played really well and had loads of control. Away from home I am sure he will look to have an extra man in the middle of defence. I think he will want it to be a more attritional game. We have to respect Wednesday's home record.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Clarke on the left instead of Roberts for his pace. First half yesterday I was tearing my hair out with him, but second half he was great. Defensively he tracks well too. Gooch will have more space as well in a wing back position to get forward and put crosses in. If Broadhead isnt fit I would play Embleton alongside Pritchard as two 10s and see if we cant pull their centre backs high and then play through them.

Cant wait for the game. Fancy us strongly to get the job done.

4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I think you are probably right - I'm hoping for a quick goal from us and then shut up shop.
    We'll probably pack the midfield and have Stewart up top on his own until 20 minutes to go.

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I trust Alex to get the job done <cheers>
    - it might be tense and ugly but I'll take that

6. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Another great thread RTB, here's hoping for 1 more! I think that under Neil we've learnt how to win ugly instead of trying to win playing great stuff all the time. As you said, I don't think it's going to be pretty and will have a battle on our hands but we now seem to be playing as a team who will fight till the end. Better get a stock pile of beers and finger nails in lads

7. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Aggregate victory is assured. Wednesday simply isn't up to it. In my 55-year affliction with sport, Sheffield is the sorriest collection of athletes I have ever encountered in any play-offs. We on the other hand, with the exception of our bashful left-winger, played like a band of brothers - willing to risk health and limb to aggressively challenge for every ball.

8. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

expect they will come out flying at us on Monday hopefully we can catch them on the break and get a goal sure Alex Neil will have a good plan Haway The Lads lets finish job

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  9. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

I like that side RTB if Broadhead doesn't make it from the start id play Embleton instead with him and Pritchard as 2 numbers 10's on behind Stewart

10. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Any news on damage to players (ours)?

Whittylad, RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

yet another cracking thread RTB, love the formation with Broadhead in, which i think will be too strong for them to cope with, cant see anything but another win and on to the final

12. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Cheers mate good post

13. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Took us to draw once again purely based on SAFC do not do easy. Although nerves will be shot I will take Ross to equalize in the 92 minute and put us through.

I also like the idea of Embers n Cliff playing behind Ross but think AN will go more defensive.

Superb again RTB. Looking forward to the last one of the season in a couple of weeks time :emoticon-0100-smile.

14. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Not seen anything - yet

Makemstine Roger and Oldsandy like this.
  16. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

And here we go again <laugh>

I wasn't impressed with their keeper, thought their defenders were clumsy and liable to dive in. With Stewart on penalties and Pritchard on free kicks I'd be telling Clarke/Roberts to just run at them, that'll panic them as it did last night.

One goal and I'd think that would be game over, I just can't see us conceding two, Neil has done wonders with this defence.

17. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Brilliant RTB!!! Just quick question from afar. End of 90 mins if it’s tied is it extra time or straight to pens?

18. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as always mate, I'm going to go for a nerve shredding 1-1 draw in this one. I hope we get an early goal and invite them out so we can play our stuff. I wasn't too impressed with them but they are better at home.

Wembley tickets on sale Tuesday morning I reckon <laugh>

HTL

19. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

The free cancellation on my Wembley hotel expires on Tuesday ...

20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

The winner of a semi-finals is decided by the tie's aggregate score after the two legs. If the aggregate score is level at the end of the 90 minutes of the second leg, an additional 30 minutes of extra time is played to try to create a winning team. If the score at the end of extra time is still level the tie is decided by penalty kicks. Away goals do not count in the play-off semi final matches.