1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sick Of Connolly

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by dontgonigel, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ChapelSaint07

ChapelSaint07 Member

Heard somewhere his mum died the other day, is true his mind obviously won't be on the game!

2. James G

James G Well-Known Member

Connolly made such a strong start to the season but after being out for a couple of games his form tapered off. Really he should be at the bottom of the pecking order now, he does offer a lot when he's fit and ready to go but for large parts of games he just looks out of fitness/sharpness. IMO we should put him with the U21 team. Let him be a help to the developing forwards and just concentrate on keeping him fit and ready whenever we really need him.

3. dontgonigel

dontgonigel Member

If that's true then it's an awful shame, but then you would have to question Nigel to identify his state of mind! He is an honest pro and maybe I was harsh last night but it was a frustrating display which I thought we deserved the win! Not happy with Kelvin wither, he flapped for the goal!

4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

fouled

5. saintern

saintern Member

A truly unbelievable thread.

Obviously people dont recognise the work he put in last night, true he didnt have his most effective game for saints, and yes his form has tapered off compared to earlier in the season. I also remember Lallana having several games where he was poor after he came back from injury (did we creat threads such as this) NO we didnt.

Connolly actually was involved in some of our better moves last night, no he didnt score, but then did he really have any chances of note, i can think of several opportunities to shoot by our midfield which they passed up the opportunity.

Really think some people who criticise that heavily have never really played football to any decent level. #clueless

Connolly is at the end of his career, we all know that. This time last season people were saying similar things, yet who had a HUGE hand in getting us over the finishing line when Barny was out, you know the answer to that.

He will go at the end of this season, and for me he can hold his head high as he has had a big input into alot of the good things we have done at saints the past two years.

6. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

Jonathan Forte had a huge hand in getting us over the line and has performed probably no worse than Connolly has over the last two games. Bring Jonno Quick back!

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Was on the bench for Notts County last night, they won away at Walsall. Hope he got some time on the pitch.

8. saintern

saintern Member

yes, cork was awful against leicester...ship him out too. cannot believe you are comparfing connolly to fortes 2 minute impact..... so connolly has two poor games and all of a sudden we are comparing him to Forte.... shaking my head in amazement.

9. saintern

saintern Member

14 goals in 54 games for saints..... hmmm for a striker who doesnt take penalties aswell...not too shabby for an old'un

10. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

It is true it was not one of DC's best games.
    I certainly do not agree with some of the statements on here re DC. He was brought in to do a job, we new he was injury prone, as it has proved to be. Yes he has got slower and yes his form is not anywhere near what he is/was capable of. He has though done a job for us although I don't think there is going to be to many more opportunities in the future. He does not deserve the vitriol he has received on here.
    Lee certainly looks like he wants to get into the side he certainly put some bite into the forward line looks useful.

11. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

As Guly wasn't playing tonight the fickle one's amongst us have to find another whipping boy.......rubbish thread

12. saintern

saintern Member

Beddy totally agree. People just have short memories. I thought last season wld be his last, he proved me wrong and I feel he has been fantastic for saints in his time here. Last night wasnt his best, leicester was awful all round. I feel Lee and Sharp will signal the end for connolly and he prob knows that. Hopefully he will end up on a freebie at bournemouth and help them come up next season (if they dont this season that is ).

Up the saints, things looking good and we have options now which we havent had in years!!!

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't know why Connolly should attract such vitriol. He has been a good player for us and was very important in getting us promoted last year. He has obviously moved down the pecking order, but may yet get important cameo roles as a sub. However, good other strikers are they are quite capable of getting injured. Having a poor game should not make you public enemy number 1. Also glad that Puncheon is doing well...never understood the hatred directed at him either (though sometimes posts were funny!). I believe in redemption and if it helps our push for promotion so much the better.

14. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

I also think this is a harsh thread. I look at the bigger picture from when we started to slowly improve and rise up from league one, and Connolly has played his part, no doubt about it, he's still part of the team, obviously.

Like others have said, yes, down the pecking order, probably to be eclipsed by Chung and Billy, but you never know when (fingerd crossed, touch wood) injury may strike.

15. TBD

TBD Active Member

Really like connelly his movement and intelligence is a real asset to the team. It didnt really go for him yesterday and I think he will be more usefull against lower half teams as they will be sitting back more which is where we need his movement to unlock defences yesterday I think the pace of Lee looked like having a bigger impact. But hes been a huge part of our season and is still a top player in my book.

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think you Connolly criticisers have been on the sauce. One bad game and he's crap. I must make a note of all your handles so as to totally ignore them from now on. ;)

I've never read so much twaddle.

17. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

were it only one game i'd just be disappointed as I was after the leicester game.

Seeing him carry on that form for 87 minutes, when puncheon who was working his socks off and keeping the ball was hauled off early, baffles me.

18. SFC5BAG

SFC5BAG Member

Great post by someone who recognises Conners qualities.
    He may not be scoring loads of goals at the moment but what he does off the ball and his positioning
    and little touches show what an experienced Pro he is.

19. SaintHardy20

SaintHardy20 Member

This. Agree 100%

20. settheSTandard

You guys who deem it OK to criticise Connolly, hang your heads in shame. He doesn't deserve some JCL's saying he's c**p By the way he plays it is there for all to see he has intelligence, do you not think he realises his opportunities in the first team have become diminished over this transfer window? Personally I would love it if the club found a coaching role for him when he does have to hang up his boots. He is an ideal candidate to work within the academy IMO.