1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Silverware

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JohnHumbles,tape recorder, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

JohnHumbles,tape recorder Well-Known Member

I, am not normally one for starting threads, but I feel this is a serious question that needs asking.

Should Newcastle take a serious look at the new Sunderland-system?

Have the mackems found the winning formula.

Do we need to rethink are approached/strategy moving forward.

Instead of struggling in the worlds top league...Should we copy the mackems copy their new
    Sunderland-system, and fall like a stone through the leagues and become a force in lower league football and pick up our share of the glory...

So my friends in this upside down world, is the Sunderland-way the new normal and should we embrace it with both arms.

After all said and done, they've only been down there for three years now and have already got one pot in the cupboard...

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  2. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

We've been saying for years that potentially we need to be relegated and sell all of our best players (potentially more than once) in order to rid us all of the cancer that is mike ashley et al. Sunderland have completed some of the steps but it remains to be seen how far they get and how long it takes them.

3. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I'd prefer to be supporting a team that is fighting to win whatever competitions it is in than one happy just to exist. Like Pouchy said on another thread, I'd prefer to see us competing in the Conference than the **** state of affairs that we have right now. The sooner Ashley is gone and someone who wants to try and win comes in the better.

4. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

I like ya thinking, going for the Conference league is there more silverware to be had lower down the tables?
    Sort of out Sunderland, Sunderland... takes their plan to the next lower level.
    I know they've got a few years, start on us, but a bit of real endeavor and drive we could do it<cheers>

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

If we just had some semblance of plan from the owner and manager, that would do. Its not much to ask.

I've said this for years. I remember saying it on here and being told by our own that you've got to be in the PL or you are basically nowhere. Like football doesn't exist outside of that. It has been the ultimate marketing success the PL. Now everyone in the show is under the illusion if you're not in the show you're ****. Everyone outside the show doesn't see it like that but then they get promoted into the show, and they start feeling the same way. I want Newcastle to compete at the highest possible level of sporting competition. The key words are compete, competition, and sporting. We are in the competition but we're certainly not competing and we certainly don't have a sporting focus. The word exist is the perfect word I think for PL malaise.

There have been 28 PL titles, 28 FA Cups and 28 League Cups since the PL came into force.

• 25 of the FA Cups have been one by Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man C.
    • 20 of the League Cups have been won by Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man C
    • 26 of the PL titles have been won by Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man C

In the previous 28 seasons we had 9 different winners of the PL. 13 different winners of the League Cup and 14 different winners of the FA Cup.

Aye the advent of the PL has done wonders for sporting competition in this country...

Only the league cup has retained any kind of unpredictability in that period. Well up until 7 years ago. Man C have won 5 of the last 7, with Man U and Chelsea taking the others.

Its getting worse with every passing year. Say it to one of the big clubs or a PL advocate. "Er....Leicester" <laugh><laugh><laugh>

6. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Pretty much agree with all of that!

I also want us to be competing at the highest level but, like you, I see the word competing as key. For me it's not even about how much money Ashley has spent. I don't care how rich he is or how much of his own money he puts in. It's more about how the money is spent and the free ride he takes with advertising. We are a marketing machine now and not a football club.

The money is less important than who spends it. Two of the managers who did best for us with using the very meagre money they were afforded by Ashley were Hughton and Pardew. Others have either invested badly (some with a very large transfer pot), failed to use the players available to their best, or both. I am probably in a minority of one on this, but I have serious reservations about us becoming a moneybags club if the Saudi takeover ever happened. All that does is make us part of the problem instead of fixing the problem. I want to celebrate us earning success rather than buying it. A 5th place finish earned would bring more satisfaction than a title bought.

Edit - I went off on a thought tangent mid post. Rafa also used the players he had well to make the most of them in the system he wanted to play

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  7. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Yes, it is indeed a prestigious title they've picked up there, one only competed for by the non league and bottom 2 tiers.

They've probably got their eyes on the FA trophy next, they only need to drop another 2 divisions...

8. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

We need relegation and a few seasons in the Championship to cleanse the club. Rebuild and promotion with ambition and hope under a new owner(s).

9. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

<laugh>

I think they've blown relegation this season, but if they get their **** together again next year...
    they could become an unstoppable force of nature.:emoticon-0172-mooni

10. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

No matter how we try.. we can’t get near their level of ****ness. Remember that they have had several seasons In division 3 and we haven’t ever been that piss poor.

11. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

T. Who wants to be as bad as that lot? :emoticon-0137-clapp

12. JohnHumbles,tape recorder

Screw your head on strait Dorts man, they've just handed fourth division Tranmere rovers, their arse at Wembley in a one-nil humping.
    Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be part of that?<doh>

13. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Bunch of seat sh!tting tossers, the lot of them. They should get a 20 point deduction for being tw@ts of the highest order

Albert's Chip Shop likes this.
  14. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

<laugh> Nicely put!

15. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Normally the saving grace behind winning a 3rd tier trophy like that is that its a great day out for the fans watching their team win at Wembley.

The poor sods didn’t even get that!

16. FTM2021

FTM2021 Well-Known Member

The new owner seems very impressive. We may look back in a few year and think all of this was a price worth paying to get the Louis-Dreyfus family involved at Sunderland

Still not convinced we will go up this season but the future certainly now has a lot of hope attached to it

17. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yes we are in the turd division and have won a tinpot Cup...

The good thing about the pizza cup is that we have broken our Wembley voodoo.

Nothing about the 3rd division is that good apart from games are often exciting and you have a good chance to win playing attacking football. In the PL there were at least a dozen games when we had to park the bus and hope for a draw.

Staying in the PL and a run in the FA and League Cups...and the local derby were the games to look forward to.

Still might play you next season?

I still occasionally go and see teams like Spennymoor and Shields play... they are good fun..proper football

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

non league games are mint. I watch consett and it’s proper football. No fannies and real men.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  19. FTM2021

FTM2021 Well-Known Member

Our fans joy about winning yesterday had **** all to do with the cup itself it was to celebrate what feels like the start of a really exciting new era under a owner who appears to be very knowledgable and very wealthy.

dred and Sunderpitt like this.
  20. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Hey Charlie, I think you missed the point of the OP: The question is broadly this. "NUFC are in a pretty sad and shocking place currently. They haven't got a hoep of competing. SAFC were there and fell to a basement which has been embarrassing. Now though, we are excited and on an upwards trajectory. The OP raises a very good question in that does it sometimes need a dramatic fall from grace to reinvent the ethos and result of being a success?" Being witty/sarcastic adds nothing to the discussion which is a very intelligent and thought provoking question. Thanks and well done though!