1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SLF Interview

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Feb 9, 2023.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Clive has a lengthy interview with QPR's Director of Football Les Ferdinand about the current situation at the club.

Les Ferdinand

Thursday, 9th Feb 2023 09:04 by Clive Whittingham

With QPR once more on a long losing run, tanking from top of the league in October to fourteenth in February, LFW met with the club’s director of football Les Ferdinand to put the criticisms of his performance to him directly.

LFW has been conducting written interviews with figures from QPR’s past and present for 20 years and publishing them free-to-view. To support both this site and the iconic AKUTR’s Podcast we have also recently been making the audio available to all three tiers of subscriber on our Patreon account. However, in this instance, given the significance and importance of the interview we have decided to make it available free-to-listen to all QPR supporters – it didn’t feel right paywalling this interview while the club is on fire. I hope our very loyal subscribers understand on this occasion. Everybody can therefore listen to the full interview for free via our Patreon by clicking here or read below…

Off the rails again

The team was top in October, we’ve now had one win in 15, we’re not scoring, we’re down to fourteenth in the table – from your point of view why has the season taken the turn that it has?

It’s obviously very disappointing. As you said, in October we were top of the table, but then we lost the manager. A lot of the players had bought into Mick, he’d had a pre-season with them, he was developing the squad the way he wanted to. Unfortunately none of us envisaged that Mick would be gone after five months, but he has done. That has derailed the players a little bit. To be fair we had started to lose a few games under Mick before he left and I think there was a sense of ‘something is going on with Mick’ and it has derailed us. I think everybody in the Championship at one time or another has a bit of a blip, we were hoping the blip wouldn’t go on for as long as it has done. The new manager has come in, he’s trying to put across his ideas and I wouldn’t say they’re too far away from where Mick is but unfortunately when you’ve lost confidence, which we certainly have and it shows in the way we’re playing at the moment, it’s very difficult to get back on the winning track. That’s what we’re trying to do, I know it’s not great to watch at the moment but we’re working hard to get back to where we need to be.

That’s what I thought you would say, the obvious answer is ‘the manager walked out’, so let’s explore how we appointed that manager in the first place. It felt like an in depth process, we knew Mark was going from the end of April, Mick didn’t arrive until June, can you take us inside that process and how we decided to appoint him in the first place?

We were very clear when we appointed him that we looked at data; we put the same sort of algorithms we use for players as well and we did that for managers, things like our style of play… It threw up a load of names, some like Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola we couldn’t get, but the rest we looked at in depth and did interviews. In terms of where we want to go as a club, Mick was top of the tree.

Read ( or listen ) to the rest here ...

Les Ferdinand – Patreon - Queens Park Rangers News | Loft For Words (fansnetwork.co.uk)

UTRs and Steelmonkey like this.
  2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

QPR999 likes this.
  3. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Great interview and really good, tough questions to SLF. He did his best to answer them but I feel he's not providing any reassurances that he has the ability to turn things around. Fact is, under his watch things are spiralling downward and he doesn't seem to have the answers to improve the situation.

bobmid and QPR999 like this.
  4. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

This makes a good read: always nice to get the "inside" story, even if it is - understandably - impossible to get 100% candour in all the answers. I think Clive asked all the right questions and pushed hard when the reply wasn't quite up to standard. Confidentiality issues make it difficult for Les to be totally open but credit to him for saying as much as he did.

He volunteered a comment about our owners really wanting to spend more money but find it impossible under FFP. I doubt that this will stem the criticisms from some quarters.

Given our current form, the interview is somewhat downbeat and I was left with the conclusion that, in the medium to long-term, the development of Heston might be our only saviour, provided it's not undermined by other clubs nicking our youngsters. This seems to be a real problem and it must be so frustrating for everyone involved in running the club (and us supporters).

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Ferdinand says the owners would spend more money but they can't due to the threat of further punishments, including points deductions.

The 'lack of ambition' brigade should take note.

UTRs, Frome-Ranger, Rodney and 3 others like this.
  6. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Lack of identifying talent during his time in charge. Maybe him and his staff need to stop relying so heavily on algorithms and get out there.

rangercol and Frome-Ranger like this.
  7. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Not sure I can say I 'enjoyed' this because some of it is so depressing, but I think Clive asked really good questions, and pushed hard for better answers in places. Credit to SLF for being as honest as he could be - and being willing to put himself in the spotlight. Not listened to Hoos yet - does it add much of interest to this?

8. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

It won't be enough to appease the 'burn the witch' crowd but fair play to SLF for fronting up and Clive for securing this interview. We are where we are and we are what we are. You do need some good fortune in our position too, which I'd say we've probably been lacking recently.

9. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Think those interviews was done so some of crowd wouldn’t lay into the hierarchy for the home match Saturday, whether it stops some we shall see

10. Steelmonkey

Much more in depth about the financials, without giving away anything. Lot of questions about the lack of stadium experience on matchday, and how he could improve it, which he batted quite well although think the panel would've wanted more from him. Some questions regarding training ground and player recruitment, very similar to the SLF answers. A good listen

UTRs and Quite Possibly Raving like this.

11. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Well, I think that is good of SLF to agree to what might have been / was uncomfortable questioning.

Seems the summary is FFP stuffed us, Mick Beale stuffed us but the owners are still committed to seeing success sometime over the next twenty years or so.

12. Steelmonkey

When Fat Boy Martin slams in his third for his hat-trick no-one is going to be thinking about the board

Frome-Ranger and kiwiqpr like this.
  13. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

From what I read on Twitter….Hoos didn’t come over that great on the podcast.
    But seems he wasn’t well

14. Steelmonkey

Loaded with Covid I think

15. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Liked most of what Les said in that interview. One bit still stuck out and made me laugh out loud though......

'When you bring Ethan Laird in, Tim Iroegbunam in, you say to your players ‘look, this is the level we need to get to, this is where we’re trying to get you to’. It’s where we’re trying to get Ozzie Kakay to, where we’re trying to get Nico Hamailainen to'

Good luck with that last part!!!

SW Ranger, Frome-Ranger, UTRs and 2 others like this.
  16. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Yeah, those were pathetic comparisons. If Kakay and Nico had anything about them, they'd be aspiring to be like Trippier or Bellingham in their respective positions ! One look at Nico and I'd be happy if he aspired to be like Carlton Palmer !

17. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

He's on a par with Carlton Banks.

Hammersmith bookie likes this.
  18. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Fair play to SLF he seemed to give honest answers to a strong set of questions (most of what we are all thinking). It just shows the mess we’ve come to be in and there wasn’t too much said to defend ‘the snake’ - quite rightly. Good interview.

SLF and the coaches have some serious work to do across the playing staff to regain their reputation and the clubs reputation if we want to draw good prospects to our ‘youth policy’.

19. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

A lack of ambition doesn't necessarily relate to spending money on players. Having read the SLF interview with great interest, the ambition of our club, immediately and for the future, is to sell our best players. If we can stay around mid table in the championship whilst doing so then that's as good as it gets. At the moment that's a million miles away as we are developing players for other clubs over developing our own. How does the sight of playing 19 year olds from Villa, show a pathway into the squad for our kids??? What a croc of ****.

Hoop-Leif and rangercol like this.
  20. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Selling our best players is not an 'ambition', it's a financial necessity. I agree with you about loan players, but we have to have youngsters good enough to step up before we can dispense with them. We plainly don't at the moment - Ferdinand talks about losing 13 youth players with good potential to other clubs.

QPR Oslo likes this.