1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So who has bettered themselves ?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AberdeenSaint, Apr 14, 2013.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Since we were last in Prem, I`ve been trying to think of players who have left us, and bettered themselves. I could only come up with Bale, and possibly Crouch and Walcott. There is a trail of others - Mills, Crainie, Bradley W-P, McGoldrick, Best, Surman et al who haven`t. Alex O-C would maybe be a better player now if he stayed, as he`d have played far more games. Anyone think of anyone else ?. That`s surely a good message to get over to our young talent.

2. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

dyer

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think one could make a case for McGoldrick. I'm on the fence with him personally, but I wouldn't neccessarily rule him as a straight out no. And with Mills, do you mean Matt or Joe? Because Matt I would say has. Of course he has - did he even play for us in the league?

Dyer and Bale, both 100%, no question.

Walcott, yes. Crouch, yes. Bridge, probably. Baird, maybe. Delap, questionable, possibly not.

(Although, granted, Bridge did leave whilst we were still in the PL).

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Kenwyne Jones was going to be a cracking player, at the time away from us, but now he'd easily be better off with us. However, we're now better without him. Bale HAS significantly improved out of all proportion, in the sense that nobody predicted his monumental rise. Walcott and OXO have got better, but they hit their limits way too early. Arsenal are, and have, ruined them, in my opinion.

Of the rest, Leon Best is doing about as well as I expected. Dexter Blackstock, I fully expected to be a PL player, as too David McGoldrick. Surman will get better, even with Norwich, but I'd love him to be at Saints because that's where he'd prefer to be. Baird got his chance and took it. Good for him.

Mills, Cranie, Bradley, Gillet [et al for any forgotten others], I never expected too much from and they've made it, in any case, in terms of professional football. Dyer has also surprised me though, I thought he'd got his head turned [possibly by associating with Wright-Phillips, I don't know] and was going to turn out like another Nile Ranger. But he has got his potential together and is doing really well. He's at a very good club, of course.

5. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Best and McGoldrick have arguably done better at other clubs than they did for us. Surman is the most disappointing for me, as I once hoped he could make the England team. Kenwyne has also been really poor, and it's quite obviously his own fault for being a lazy ****.

6. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Baird (IMO) has been good at Fulham. Crouch hasn't hit the same heights as he did at Saints, despite the caps and trophies. Was almost a worldy for us that season :)

Walcott and Bale and Dyer definitely got better but then is that not just due to getting older, more mature and more experienced + playing at a higher level?

7. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Dyer, yes. Jones - big blouse.

8. Downthe36

Downthe36 Well-Known Member

Hands up I didn't predict Dyer progressing the way that he has.

I agree it's frustrating that AOC left as it would almost definitely have been better for his development if he had stayed, however from his perspective at the time it would have been a huge risk to turn down Arsenal when we were in League 1. To be perfectly honest I'm pretty sure I would have done the same thing in his shoes.

9. ImpSaint

Just thinking on Monk being captain at Swansea?

I agree above on Blackstock. I thought he and Banger were going to follow in Shearer's footsteps after their dream debuts. Basham as well

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Monk has done superbly well. I think I've got a bit of footage with him, in a Saints shirt during a game, somewhere. Never thought he'd one day be the captain of a PL team. Goes to show what a little ambition and skill can bring.

11. Tottonsaint

Tottonsaint Well-Known Member

Mike Williamson ?

12. TheRealOrangePeel - CRBA

Surprised Bridge falling off the map hasn't been mentioned more.

Agreed that really the only player to have made a name for himself is Bale. At a pinch it could be argued Nathan Dyer has seemed to have settled into a more "reliable" player.

13. (Conor)

(Conor) Well-Known Member

Tim Sparv is a regular in the Eerdivisie for Groningen, played nearly 100 games in the past three years. Also a regular for Finland too.

14. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

As for some ex-academy players, Jamie White bangs in goals for Salisbury, Matt Paterson is at Burton, and Steven Mowthorpe in goal for Blackfield and Langley. What about Sam Argent you ask? Whitchurch United.

15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the main question now is where will Tommy Forecast end up? :biggrin:

16. Downthe36

I have watched him a few times this year and he is playing so far beneath his level it is a joke. As little as I like seeing ex-Saints players going down the road, I think Pompey would be well advised to take a look at him for their forthcoming League 2 campaign.

17. Downthe36

Surely this Summer is the time when his masquerade as a professional footballer will end, Ali Dia only managed one match, Forecast has managed it his whole adult life!

18. ImpSaint

note to Lincoln City Manager: I have a tip off for you.

19. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

The PST would be well advised to spend their generous donations on the promotion machine Tommy Forecast.

Crouch and Bridge both did great for a spell after departing but both are in the twilight of there careers.

20. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Wherever he ends up, it'll only end in a promotion <laugh>