1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Some Fun For a Friday Afternoon

Discussion in 'Watford' started by wear_yellow, Apr 8, 2011.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great news! Boris Johnson is a virile young dad. He is naturally fecund & his liquids are magnificently potent. He is famed for our withdrawal from Europe, but in his own personal life, this titan just doesn’t know how to withdraw. A nation congratulates him & the fragrant Carrie.

please log in to view this image

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

As a few replies said, he didn't tear up the barcode - presumably that could get him in?

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

First British tourists of the summer season are here. Middle aged couple with a caravan that had a UKIP sticker in the window. Assumed I spoke English, asked for directions, I replied in French. The woman tutted, rolled her eyes and said, "They don't even try to speak English"
    Her husband did the speak slowly and louder thing, "WHERE IS THE CAMPSITE?" I shrugged and said, "C’est tout droit." His wife then said, "I really do think you could make an effort, we are bringing money to the region" I said (in English) "The horse of my uncle is unwell"
    This stumped them for a while and the husband eyed me suspiciously so I followed up with a cheery wave and said, "Do not park in the river"
    He became angry and delivered what I assume he thought a statement of significance, "Be careful, I'm a local councillor" His wife was happy to confirm this, leaning over she said loudly, "Fifteen years on the council, fifteen years"
    I said, "Fifteen years, are you being punished for something" I swear his skin colour changed to a deep magenta and a vein on his neck throbbed ominously. "I have responsibility for footpaths and bridleways I will have you know"
    His wife lost patience at this point and said, "Leave it Reg, leave it he's not worth it. We'll ask someone else, they can't all be bloody halfwits" I gave them a cheery wave as they left....... On the wrong side of the road.
    They came back !! The husband just confronted me through my main gates, "The man at the campsite says you speak perfectly good English, I won't be ridiculed by the likes of you" I said, "Who are you ok ridiculing you, would you like me to get one of my staff ?"
    He got out of the car, "Now look here, I won't stand for this, you need to learn some respect for people like me" I couldn't resist it, I said, "People like you? You mean fat people?"
    His wife added her voice, "Don't you call my Reg fat, that's very rude. we'll be reporting this, just you see" "Reporting to who, Weight Watchers?"
    The vein on his neck had by now begun to do more than throb, it had possibly achieved sentience as it writhed, snake like just above the collar of his salmon pink Ralph Lauren polo shirt
    His wife was by now filming me with her phone, "You'll be sorry, the Police will be seeing this, we don't take abuse from foreigners like you, we know our rights" I said, "I strongly urge you to go to the Police madam, in fact I beg you to go there now"
    By now a small but interested crowd had gathered and they sought support from them, "This man has been rude to us, very rude. He refused to speak English and called my husband fat." Claude, a local farmer spoke, "This is France, we speak French and he is fat"
    Claude paused, drew reflectively on his cigar, looked the woman up and down and said, "You are also fat"
    There was a general murmur of agreement from the crowd which did little to calm them. Reg pulled a small notebook from his car and said, "Right I want everyone's names here, this is going further, you will all be hearing from my solicitor. You" he said, looking at me, "name?"
    I said "Guillaume Canet" he wrote it down. "Right" he said, "now the rest of you" Claude gave a local rustic gesture and walked away. Other followed him and the crowd gently dispersed.
    Returning to their car the final throwaway line was defiant, "Don't think you have heard the last of this, I'm a Rotarian"
    Call from our Mayor, "We have just had people here complaining about you. they told one of my ladies they wanted to make a statement and press charges. I have referred them to the Gendarmerie. They did not like that we laughed. I tried to explain that refusing
    to speak English is not an offence in France but the very strange women told me it should be because of 'all the tourists and stuff'. They say that are not staying to be insulted, I suggested the Loire region for them. they asked if people speak English there. I said yes"

A tale from an English author living in France. An embellished story for sure, but just now and then a couple such as this one really do turn up.

4. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

5. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Truly brilliant !
    A small contribution of my own. Whilst in the queue to board a ferry at Cherbourg, 4/5 lines of cars... Gloriously hot day. Obviously, seats outside on the upper deck at a premium. 2 rows across , the classical brit - Mk2 Jag , sports jacket, moustache. I really am not joking. Anyway , Sir Tufton Bufton For it was he - suddenly noticed that the foot passengers were boarding whilst we remained in our queues. So he decided to protest. Bearing in mind he was in a queue several cars long and not necessarily in the 'first' lane. Essentially, his negotiating options were 'zilch'. Did this stop him. Of course not. After remonstrating with several port staff, he finally got to talk to a 'manager'. AHa. Obviously getting somewhere. Well, he got somewhere. The gendarmerie turned up, marched him into the port office, and as I recall, his car was still on the quay as we set sail. Result !

Scullion and Bolton's Boots like this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Old football joke - Whats the difference between Braverman and Arsenal ?
    Braverman didn't miss out on three points.

7. Bolton's Boots

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The story continues.

A letter has been left pinned to my gate, we think it was left early this morning. It reads: "FIRST POINT - Do not add this to the Twitter page you started yesterday, we saw that and we are taking legal advice. SECOND POINT - We require and demand a full apology from you...otherwise there will be legal action taken against you and your friends that were present yesterday. My solicitor tells me we have an ironclad case, we will win, you will lose and be forced to pay EXTENSIVE DAMAGES THIRD POINT -You must post your apology on ALL social media in all parts of the world in multiple languages. These points are NOT NEGOTIABLE. Your agreement is expected immediately. DO NOT PUT THIS ON TWITTER - FINAL AND ONLY WARNING
    They are at my main gates now, shouting at my gardener, demanding to speak with me !! I can hear and see the conversation on my CCTV, my gardener is by nature a very polite man but his English is poor so he's struggling but putting up a manful defence with the use of hand gestures and smiling while waving a hoe.
    I can't leave him there to hold the fort alone, I shall go and have a chat with Reg before his head explodes from stress. I know he did not appreciate my gardener offering to go and get his Grandson to help translate.
    I tried to introduce an upbeat, friendly tone by asking, "How was your evening, did you find the campsite in the end?" Reg was not impressed. "O so you do speak perfect English - I knew it" I said, "It comes and goes" He waved some paper at me saying, " "Do you know what this is?" I paused reflectively, "The air filter from a 1976 Mini Cooper?" He didn't take this well. His voice reached a pitch not often heard in a man of his age and girth, "IT'S YOUR DOWNFALL, WE ARE GOING ALL THE WAY WITH IS, JUST YOU SEE"
    I smiled in what I judged to be an ingratiating manner, "Going all the way, but Reg, you haven't even bought me dinner yet" At this moment, Mrs Reg grabbed the bard of my gates and shook them vigorously, a mistake in hindsight because that dislodged some bird droppings which fell into her hair, where it currently remains (I never told her, Reg didn't notice). I said I had to consult my lawyer and returned inside. I am sitting now back in my study and they are still at the gates In about 15 minutes my wife will be home.
    I saw my wife arriving on the cameras and got to the gate at the moment she did. Mrs Reg greeted her with "Who the hell are you?" My wife has a commendable sangfroid in these circumstances. She viewed Mrs Reg with disdain and said "You have bird **** in your hair, move away"
    Now what happened next was of course regrettable and I take no pleasure in what resulted. Like any stressful situation words are exchanged and actions taken that would not have occurred if attitudes had been cooler and I am the first to admit my wife can be impulsive and does not suffer fools gladly but also there was a certain inevitability. Mrs Reg shouted, "I'm going nowhere until we get this sorted", my wife shrugged, engaged drive and ran over Mrs Reg's foot."The Tesla X is a substantial vehicle and although it was only a gentle kiss with the edge of the tyre this was enough to trigger screams and demands for an ambulance. My wife viewed this circus with her usual ambivalence, locked the gates and said, "Go away, you are annoying"
    Latest developments. They have made a number of legal threats (I think I heard Magna Carta at one point) and have promised they will be returning, "With the police and lawyers" At present all calm here. Cat indifferent.

To be continued.

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

This is BRILLIANT! It's also sooooo... moi et Madame Fez!!! <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Overnight another letter taped to the gates. It rambles on for several pages but the key message is I am, "Required to attend arbitration in London in two weeks on pain of High Court action" He helpfully included an email for me to, "confirm my attendance and agreement" I have just replied, citing, Arkell v Pressdram.
    I have just heard from the lady at the Mayor's office (she of the new dress) that they were back there yesterday, again demanding "action". Our Mayor dealt with the problem by saying he doesn't speak English and wishing them a 'bonne journée' while showing them to the door.
    I forgot to mention in the long letter left overnight there was again a demand that I do not publish any of this to Twitter. It seems their son is, "closely monitoring all the social medias"
    They are back at the gates shouting that I have offended them with my "Arkell v Pressdram" email and demanding I come to discuss it. I have sent my father out (who had dropped round for a coffee) to talk with them. Initial conversation was strained as my father (an Edinburgh native) chose to employ his richest and most profound burr which caused Reg's wife to literally take a step back. My father opened with, "I understand you have some legal matters to discuss" Reg seemed pleased with this replying,
    "Well it's quite complicated so I'm not sure you will understand all the legal implications" My father replied, "I am a retired QC, let's see how I get on" From Reg, "A QC, so an accountant then?
    "No, not an accountant. What is now a King's Counsel but was a Queen's Counsel when I was practicing, a barrister, a lawyer" said my father, patiently. Reg was quiet for a while but responded with, "Just because you are a lawyer doesn't mean you know about the law, I do"
    My father was sort of polite, "Where did you study law, Trumpton?"
    Reg's wife ( I have learnt her name is Jane) offered her contribution, "My Reg does a lot of reading, he knows the law, you should be careful" My father was pensive, "it is fair to ensure, as in any battle of wits, both sides are equally armed"
    My wife has insisted my father joins us for lunch so he has abandoned Reg and Jane at the gates. They have told him they are "Going nowhere until this is sorted out"
    Just glanced at the CCTV, they are still there, sitting on the grass verge outside my gates. Both scrolling on their phones and it seems bickering.
    I just noticed a number of people asked what we are having for lunch. It's a simple salade niçoise with a glass of Domaine Tempier, bandol rosé from 2019.
    I had assumed they had got bored and left for good but they have now returned and Reg is carrying a small step ladder. Not sure what he's planning to do.
    We are all currently watching the CCTV, Reg has twice propped up his ladder close to the left hand gate post, both times it has sunk into the earth and he has fallen over. Sue's advice is being brushed away in a somewhat off hand manner. Our dogs are watching with interest.
    Our gardener has set up a lookout post on some loose logs near the rose garden, our housekeeper has taken him some lemonade. Reg and Jane shouted at her but she ignored them. Jane said, "Bloody French, so arrogant"
    Reg has fallen over again, this time sideways onto the gravel of the drive between the gates and the road. Our dogs are now in a line with their heads through the bars of the gates enjoying this. Jane has shouted, "Keep these dangerous dogs away, that's an offence that is"
    There are moments in any of the chapters of life when a person knows events are going to take a downward spiral, for me that was when I glanced out of my study window to see my wife pulling the high pressure hose from the garages. This never ends well for unwanted visitors.
    I called to her but she had that determined look I have seen many times, the look that says, "I have had enough and now you are going to feel the consequences of your actions" Now I should say that Reg must bear some of the responsibility here because his first words to her were
    "You had better not be getting any stupid ideas lady" I knew what was coming, our gardener knew what was coming, the dogs took a few paces backwards. My wife was succinct "We are bored with you, leave now. I am giving you five seconds. 5..4..3" Jane said "you wouldn't dare"
    Now at this point I should explain we have not a simple garden hose but instead one connected to a high pressure pump used for various cleaning jobs around the grounds. It produces a powerful spray and my wife wields it with the confidence of a cavalryman.
    My wife initially gave only a small squeeze on the trigger, this gives a short but powerful burst, Reg and Jane received a small amount of water. Reg was indignant, he grabbed the bars of the left gate, he shouted, "Do you know who I am?"
    My wife often has the right phrase in situations like this and as usual she delivered, "A very wet man" She fully pulled the trigger.
    She knows the 'kick' the hose generates when the pressure is applied so she started low but allowed the hose to rise with the recoil, even allowing for the water deflection of the bars of the gates it was an impressive soaking. Head to foot, both of them.
    Reg stood there stunned. Jane screamed The dogs barked in unison Our gardener lent on his spade, took it all in and smiled.
    That was around five minutes ago and Reg is now sitting dejectedly on the grass verge. His bright yellow polo shirt clinging, unattractively to his 'generous' stomach. Jane is still screaming, the dogs are still barking. The cat remains indifferent.

To be continued.

Bolton's Boots likes this.

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh> FFS!!! <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>
    Absolutely killing me here!

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

We need to go into town for some groceries. I'm in favour of "A Team" type modifications to my Porsche to blast through but our housekeeper has suggested we take the Méhari with various members of the indoor and outdoor staff riding 'shotgun'
    Update: Have just received a call from our Mayor, it seems he has been contacted by a lawyer in Buckinghamshire (he asked me if that was a real place or a made up name) who wishes to discuss the, "Ongoing acts of defamation happening in your town being suffered by my client" I asked him what he intended to do ( I heard a long slow intake of breath). "Well if it's like last time with your special man from England I am tempted because we all enjoyed it in the end but I would prefer it if these people just left." I heard the smack of his palms on the desk, "Right, I shall reply to him with an email in French, that should provide enough discouragement" I offered him a small apéro at six this evening and he enthusiastically accepted
    OK, we are home safely. Reg and Jane not spotted. Local shopkeepers report no sightings today. Could they have departed, are they in hiding? Now for something more important - lunch. I'm sure someone will ask so lunch today is a croque madame with a Leffe blonde
    Reg is standing at our gates with what looks like a 1990s video camera filming our house and grounds. The three dogs are silently watching him from behind the walnut tree. Our gardener has wished him a cheerful, "Bonjour Monsieur" Cat indifferent.
    The luck is not with Reg, one of our local police were driving past, saw him and are now explaining that what he's doing is not allowed in France. Regretfully Reg has decided his best course of action is to argue and start quoting the 'Common Law of England" Should end well.
    There is no easy way to build up to this so I will just say it. Reg poked the gendarme in the chest and called him, "a stupid frog"
    Jane has arrived, as have some interested locals. Jane has not got off to a good start by slipping over when she climbed out of the Rover so she now has an ankle to shoulder mud stain up her dress (floral pattern, I would guess Marks and Spencer). Local man on the scene Claude is very much an agitator, calling for Reg to be arrested immediately for insulting the dignity of France, personally I feel this is excessive but then I'm only half French. I'm off outside to see if I can de-escalate the situation because Jane just pushed one of our neighbours, who I think is part Gypsy, and she subsequently cursed her.
    I have just quickly come back into the house to get some bandages and three avocado. Things are little complicated at the moment, in the middle of the brouhaha outside our butcher arrived with weekly meat delivery and then a van with my new fence posts turned up. Both drivers felt a need to offer their opinions so the lone gendarme has requested assistance. I have persuaded the meat delivery driver to come into the house, he's in the staff kitchen flirting with our housekeeper and drinking a marc, the fence poster driver is unfortunately fully engaged in the argument. I'm having a lime juice and soda water.
    The good news is the avocados and bandages have done their job so that is one less thing to worry about. Another police car just arrived. The crowd of locals continues to swell.
    OK, I'm back. Reg, after a threat of arrest and a night in the cells has apologized and they have agreed to leave the town by midday tomorrow (there was a period of negotiation regarding how long it takes to pack up their caravan). My fence posts are currently being unloaded.
    It was agreed my wife was within her rights to spray them with a hose as she had just cause in rightfully believing they were attempting to break into our property. The laws of France allow me to speak French to them. Reg is not entitled to compensation for me calling him fat. Claude refused to apologise for calling Jane fat but agreed to go home. Reg has retained the right to make a subsequent claim for slander when he returns
    to England. (no chance) We repaired the injury to the goat with the bandages and the avocados.
    Our gardener has become aware he is now on twitter and wishes everyone a pleasant afternoon and a nice weekend. Our cat remains utterly and completely indifferent.

13. Bolton's Boots

Offers also expected to come from Everton and Leeds.

FB_IMG_1685089296980.jpg

14. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I prefer Heather with the weather.

did anyone see the programme Naked News some years back, exactly what it said on the tin!

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird’s chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away." The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the vet. "How can you be so sure?" she protested. I mean you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something. The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room. A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck." The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman. The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$1500!" she cried, "$1500 just to tell me my duck is dead!" The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been $50, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now $1500

16. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

And the prosecution of ofh rests…

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A Russian soldier ran up to a nun walking down a sidewalk in Petrograd. Out of breath he asked, “Please, may I hide under your skirt? I'll explain later.” The nun agreed. A moment later two politsya ran up and asked: “Sister, have you seen a soldier?” The nun replied, “He went that way.” After the politsya ran off the soldier crawled out from under her skirt and said, “I can't thank you enough, Sister. You see, I don't want to go to Ukraine.” The nun said, “I understand completely.” The soldier added, “I hope I'm not rude, but you have a great pair of legs!” The nun replied, “If you had looked a little higher, you would've seen a great pair of balls, too. I don't want to go to Ukraine either."

Toby likes this.
  18. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

19. Bolton's Boots

It's as if all spies come with a 'return to Moscow' type of label...<doh>

please log in to view this image

20. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

The Thirteen Commandments for Seniors

1 – Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

2 - "In Style" are the clothes that still fit.

3 – You don't need anger management. You need people to stop irritating you.

4 – Your people skills are just fine. It's your tolerance for idiots that needs work.

5 – The biggest lie you tell yourself is, "I don't need to write that down. I'll remember it."

6 - "On time" is when you get there.

7 – Even duct tape can't fix stupid – but it sure does muffle the sound.

8 – It would be wonderful if we could put ourselves in the dryer for ten minutes, then come out wrinkle-free...and three sizes smaller.

9 – Lately, you've noticed people your age are so much older than you.

10 – Growing old should have taken longer.

11 – Ageing has slowed you down, but it hasn't shut you up.

12 – You still haven't learned to act your age and hope you never will.

And one more

13 - One for the road" means peeing before you leave the house.

Bolton's Boots likes this.