1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sport Other than Football - formerly the Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Sep 20, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

She was less than PC about one of the South Korean skaters she'd crashed off

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

For someone who can't stay on her feet, she has a lot to say.
    I'd be inclined to keep a low profile and stay schtum.

3. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Watching her interviews prior to her first race, her entire demeanor felt very much like she hadn’t got over Sochi. She seemed like she had put a lot of pressure on herself, not helped by Claire Balding & Co at the BBC, who made her a poster girl and never shut up about her.
    That aside, even if other competitors were seeking to “tactically” eliminate her knowing she was the major threat, she seemed to try the same overtaking moves at the same times in the same way. You’d have thought that maybe she may have adjusted her race planning after several heats and 3 separate events. I mean, I know nothing about speed skating, but staying on your feet seems like a good plan, for a start. <laugh>

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Anyone else watch the men’s big air?

What an effort by Billy Morgan to take the bronze.

I feared the worst after his first jump went wrong but then under huge pressure he pulled out two amazing jumps.

We’ve had our best Winter Olympics ever now

5. humanbeingincroydon

Highlight of the Winter Olympics for me: watching competitors blow chunks all over the starting line during the men's biathlon.

Far more entertaining than crown green bowls on ice where the team who goes second ALWAYS wins that we're told we care about.

6. littleDinosaurLuke

England's rugby team looking less than the sum of its parts.

7. humanbeingincroydon

Or, if you prefer...

...alright, one more

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

please log in to view this image

9. Russia's Olympic membership has been restored by the IOC following its suspension from the Pyeongchang Winter Games...... Really???

Guess it doesn't affect the IOC decision making when 2 Russian athletes are caught cheating at these very Games!!

But no suggestion there's any corruption afoot.... No Siree, Bob!! <doh>

10. littleDinosaurLuke

Brook v Rabchenko was a big non event

11. Must be missing something with these latest cycling revelations from the Select Committee report - even if it’s possible to get beyond the sheer comedy value of a group of politicians spouting about ‘ethics’ <doh>

Wiggins is being castigated and his reputation dragged through the mud for following the rules as far as the administration of a TUE, because a few disgruntled 2nd rate cyclists (some now journalists) jealousy levels got the better of them.

Wiggins and Team Sky requested the TUE based on a previously documented medical condition. It was known at the time that the drug itself had potentially other beneficial affects for athletes (boost weight loss whilst maintaining strength). No-one appears to have stated that Wiggins didn’t have the asthma condition or that the condition was exaggerated and documents falsified and surely the Authorities would have checked this when the application was made?

Is Cycling free from substance abuse and cheating? Of course not, although undoubtedly cleaner than before and certainly cleaner than in 2012. Was Wiggins taking advantage of the opportunity, or as he says, leveling theplaying field?Who knows......However, I thought we lived in a world where one was innocent until PROVEN guilty. Don’t see a whole lot of proof in all this and MP’s spouting with the benefit of Parliamentary Privilege leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Mind you, Lord TaxPayersArena getting panned for being untruthful in his account about his knowledge of Russian doping is feckin’ hilarious....
    <laugh>

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  12. littleDinosaurLuke

The suggestion is that Wiggins was using TUEs when there was no medical need at the particular time for the performance enhancing benefits alone.
    But what evidence is there to support this? It seems to be rumour, assumption and innuendo based on admitted poor record keeping by Sky, malicious gossip and unfounded scepticism about how Sky have managed to be so successful.
    The report the MPs are relying doesn't appear to contain any evidence from what I can see.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Team Sky + Wiggins have not come out
    of the matter well, and that is just within
    cycling itself (Froome is also currently on
    a similar rack) .

14. littleDinosaurLuke

Jonny Bairstow :emoticon-0165-muscl<applause>

audrey.s.thackeray likes this.
  15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Anyone who accepts a knighthood loses all credibility in my eyes. It's the definition of a cheat in so many ways.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  16. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning, Spurf. I’ll have to turn it down then, after all. Damn!

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You don't need a knighthood audrey you are acclaimed on not606 anyway.

18. humanbeingincroydon

For me the definition of a cheat is someone with an honorary knighthood who expects to be referred to as Sir Whatsisface when, as it's an honorary knighthood, there is no reason to do so other than pandering to the massive ego of an attention-seeking gobshite

For example...

please log in to view this image

remembercolinlee and Spurf like this.
  19. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that Ian Botham insisted on fellow commentators calling him SIR Ian as soon as he'd got his knighthood? Don't know if that still holds good. I seem to recall that Nasser Hussain had a little problem with it, which created a bit of commentary box edge.