1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spotlight on beppe

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Flittonhorn, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Well! after last nights game we find ourselves focusing on Beppe again.
    A very strange line up, bearing in mind this is a results based business and for large parts of the game we were very ineffective against a stuburn Rotherham side. Beppe knows he has to deliver and to make so many changes and to leave both Abdi and Toezer on the bench in a game we needed something from after Saturday was bizare.

So lets reflect: against Bolton first half full marks, second half we faded and allowed Bolton to come back into a game they had lost at half-time. Beppe made alot out of fitness of our players in pre-season but Bolton were the fitter. But a fine win. Norwich yes of course the sending off changed everything but we were hanging on at half-time and i think he needed to change things tactically before then to tighten up the team as they were very loose and leaving spaces for Norwich to exploite. Last night I think until the subs we were never going to get anything other than a draw unless we got lucky. The subs changed the game so if he was making changes last night why not start with those players?.

Finnaly it will take me along time to forget/forgive the final performances of last season and we heard then there was discord. Dyer showed that there is still that problem in the squad. Why sign a player of Dyer's ability if you are not going to play him, he is certainly on form.

If the players don't buy into Beppe then it will never work no matter how good collectively they are as a squad. Between them all we need to find harmony and fast

2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Squad rotation will always be a part of the squad with the numbers we have but unlike the top clubs we don't have the depth in quality so its probably not surprising dropping Abdi and Tozser saw a below par performance.

Dyer seems to have played very well when coming on so maybe its no surprised he felt there was a point to prove although doing it in public maybe wasn't such a wise thing for somebody so experienced.

Trouble is players have power and if they get disgruntled they will tell agents and fans about it..

3. Goldentrue

Goldentrue Active Member

While I don't necessarily disagree with the jury being out on Beppe (Last May I didn't expect him to start this season), there could be an argument that he managed the Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday 'issue' well last night. We won, at a side that have not lost at home for a long time. We played a different formation, so the argument that many had last year and the year before that we could only ever play 5-3-2 and were being 'sussed out' is being addressed.

We only have what we heard on the radio to by with regards to Dyer's reaction. Maybe it wasn't what it seemed, but even if it was maybe that sort of passion is good. TBH I thought the side that started Bolton and Norwich was OK and did not necessarily feel we have to play Dyer, but equally I would not be surprised if he becomes a regular.

As I stated, I am not necessarily convinced about Beppe, but am happy to put across the counter argument to criticism after last night.

4. Yellowvoice

Yellowvoice Member

I've got nothing against Beppe but I think he is on borrowed time. The games over the next month before the international break will be pivotal for his future and I really hope Beppe can pull it off

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never thought Beppe was the right man and still believe the rest of the squad is far better than him. If we do well it will be despite him - not because of him. I usually distrust "insider" talk but what I have heard is that he is quite horrible in the dressing room and the players do not like him. That is bad news. People say he has had success in the past - but not at this level. We need to change manager and change soon. So far I believe Pozzo's biggest mistake is in not changing him afte rthe final four disgusting performances that ended last season.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

What would Brendan Rodgers, Malky or Sean have given to have a squad the size of ours with the talent it has.

7. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Beppe Sannino has a very difficult position. He is following four very popular managers even if one did shoot himself when he talked of loyalty, there were the same questions about all four in the same way Beppe has had and all proved they could deal with the challenge of no money for the first three and GFZ did well in his first season when he and the team settled.

If Beppe was to have gone he would go at the end of the last season but he did not and his contract is until the end of this season, I think, so we have him until then. Unless he really upsets the Pozzos and we know nothing of that side of our club. If the team continues to stay near the top of the division we have no reason to lose him, if even the team are angry. For Beppe to go there will have to be many bad results or a complete failure with him and the players.

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I always thought he was a stop gap brought in quickly because he was available. I am quite surprised to see him still here, but if he were moved on would we have another similar person? The Poozos will know if he is losing the dressing room and might be worried that having supplied a talented group of players he cannot weld them into a team. If he is to go I hope it is sooner rather than later as it would need time for a new person to settle in. I still believe that there will one or two players leave before the transfer window closes if the right offer comes along, but this squad is just too big to manage in my opinion.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This is one major difference between football here and in Italy and Spain. In those countries they often have massive squads but also have B teams competing in lower leagues. So, the problems of keeping everybody happy and, more importantly, keeping so many players match fit, is not such a problem there. I also have mixed feelings over Beppe - but I do also have a feeling that last nights game was the type of game which we would have lost under GFZ.

10. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

There were plenty of rumours flying around twitter last night, including one saying the players were going to go to Nani/Pozzo with a letter/petition about Beppe. Frank Smith(?) of the Wobby seemed to have heard grumblings going on too

If (and obviously a big IF), Beppe does go, who would we get in? The owners seemed to have learned over the summer that we needed players with knowledge of the league to compliment the ones they send over, so would they then go for someone to manage them with this experience too? Will they stick with a 'head coach' rather than a manager.... Who is out there we could bring in, who would be happy being sent these players rather than building his own team!

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I am sure it would have to be a 'head coach' .

Mind you Malky and Sean really had little to choose from with their teams

Agreed. Beppe clearly has bottle and belief.....

12. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Certainly seems that way Yorkie. The crowd really has to get behind them on Saturday - if there is any disharmony going on behind the scenes we don't want it spreading to the stands at this early stage of the season. We're in a good position and if we can keep that going along wioth a really nice feel good atmosphere in the stadium then you feel that some, if not all, of the discord might go away.

A bit simplistic and cliched I admit but hey - the sun's shining and i'm off next week!

13. Yellowvoice

Yellowvoice Member

Let's not forget that there was a big blow up for the last game of last season. Whatever happens I hope Beppe sorts it out quick otherwise it's Eddie Howe for me

14. yorkshirehornet

Yes.... I was surprised by some of the dissent last night...... I understand it ... but we have to get behind the team. Angella kept calling on us to up the volumes....

15. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

You can spot a WFC supporter a mile off - grumbling already about a set of results that reads P4 W3.
    Given we have a squad that is the size it is, (which everybody seems delighted by), given that several KEY players played 88 minutes with 10 men on Sat against a very clever team, followed by another away trip, then who wouldn't want to change the squad around. Further, last night we won with KEY players rested mostly. The squad we have is well suited to several systems. If the players cannot change formation, well deary me, what do they think football is, painting by numbers ? Perhaps the moaners should wait and see how well we do on Sat and what the team is. (Personally I tend to look at blocks of 5 games, so after weeds & uddersfield we will have a fair idea of how good a start has been made.)
    As for popularity in the dressing room - do the 'not impressed by Beppe' brigade seriously think that good football managers are all like Mother Theresa. Get real. The players are only required for 1 thing - SUCCESS ON THE PITCH. If the manager/head coach delivers that, how he does it and all the rest is irrelevant. The players are all mightily insulated from the managers ire anyway by their bank balances.
    I find the whole tone of this thread distasteful.

16. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Spotlight on Bepe, Jesus Christ we are 3 yes 3 games into the season.

17. yorkshirehornet

Agree with your perspective <ok>

18. Ethelhorn

Ethelhorn Active Member

Have to agree with the last two posts, been supporting Watford for a long time and cant believe that in such a short time we are turning into a club that wants managers out after they have won a game !!
    Not sure exactly who the "naysayers" are expecting to take over ? Guess Mr Moyes is looking for work.

19. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Be it 3 games or 33 games with last nights team selection etc Beppe put himself into the spotlight not us, the spotlight does not have to be a negative object but may illuminate more than just the third game of the season

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think you miss the point Bodbo. I wanted Beppe out at the end of last season because I do not believe he can manage us to promotion - and the squad we have is good enough for it. His inability to have a team hold onto a lead - especially a 2 goal lead is very poor and the inability to have his team play and defend in the last 10 minutes of so many games was key for me - coupled with a complete folding in the last four games last season.

I could understand your criticism of his critics if we were arguing this after 3 games and 3 defeats at the start of this season as that might seem like short term criticism. But those of us who want him out are saying so after 3 wins out of 4. I just do not think he is good enough for the squad we have and the ambition of the Pozzos and do not believe the players will go that extra mile for him.

I will be interested to see what happens with those supporters who think he is great because we have 3 wins out of 4 (one to a fourth tier side) if we lose a few games on the trot and fall into the bottom half. I expect suddenly they too will see his shortcomings. that will be too late.

I hope I am wrong and would never call for his dismissal at a game or anything - no more than booing players but what do you want people who think he is not up to the job to say - shall we pretend we think he is good?