1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spread your wings to the forgotten majority of Spain

Discussion in 'La Liga' started by 666 & Elmo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 666 & Elmo

666 & Elmo New Member

No-one can deny the undoubted attraction of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Two immense teams with superb talent.

But both remind me of Manchester United and that's where I get uncomfortable. Maybe in a few years I will be able to distinguish one as Manchester City?

So no matter how much I enjoy watching them on Sky TV, I yearn to see much more of my beloved Deportivo La Coruna, from where my family hails. Some of you may not know we were relegated last year, but we are "doing a Newcastle" and looking to bounce back at the first attempt.

La Coruna is right on the north west tip of Spain, above Portugal. It gets hit by the temperamental Atlantic weather, and unlike the south of Spain, you can't guarantee sunshine thorughout summer. On the contrary, rain should be expected.

It's nearly impossible to get to Galicia within 12 hours from Britain unless you live close enough to Stansted, and the equivalent of the Lake District is just on the doorstep. This area of Spain is where the Spaniards go on holiday during Summer. Probably to get a breeze.

There's a beautiful harbour, and well-known light-house, from where many shipping forays are undertaken. Just think of fishing industry arguments about who can take how much from where, and the North West Spaniards are likely to be involved.

And just down the way is the Riazor. Home of countless nights of great and awful football.

Because Deportivo are your archetypal provincial football team. They will only ever compete for short spurts of time gainst the mighty Barca or Real.

But if you play football, just with your mates - 5 a side maybe - you can wear your well-known english-team top, or your Barca or Real top, and everyone recognises it. But there's some fantastic kits out there, and their beauty is that when you wear one, there's always someone who will ask you who the team is.

If you want a Deportivo top, your best chance is to go direct to the club or fan website. Chances are you won't find a trustworthy place to buy that special Spanish team kit in England, and the great thing is that Deportivo translate their website into English.

Alternatively, you may want to check out Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Espanyol, Malaga, Villareal, Levante or any other number of clubs. There really is no need to pour more money into the two Clasico's.

By the way, Spain is a stunningly beautiful country. You don't have to go to the South nor to the major centres, and you will find a passionate and fascinating people and topography.

Spread your wings

2. Roquefort Junior

One of the most attractive teams to watch in the first few years of the 2000's. Valeron and Djalminha were just awesome ball playing creative midfielders, whilst Tristan and Maakay had at one point the most feared attack in world football. Especially after that wonderful comeback against AC Milan in the Champions League it's a shame to watch their plight.

I still follow them to check out how there doing, so it's good to see them looking good for promotion but also good to see Valeron having a consistent run in the team without injuries. Definitely one of the most unappreciated players of my era.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I moved to Spain in 1993 and fell in love with Super Depor. I even followed them to a few away games (Logroñes, Bilbao and Sevilla) and went up to Coruña three times for footie wekends. This season, they look as if they're going to return to the Primera, though whether their financial affairs will let them build a team to stay there is another matter. Guardado is off to Valencia, and rumour has it that Aranzubia will be sold off to keep the taxman at bay. Still, I'm hoping to combine Charlton's winning League one and Dartford going up to the BSP with Deportivo winning La segunda ahead of arch rivals Celta de Vigo.

And as for Madrid and my neighbours Barça, sorry but I could'nt care less about either of you!!

4. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Y conseguido! Somos de Primera! After a desperate match against Huesca of all people, Deportivo are Champions of the second division. Now to see if Lendoiro can afford to reinforce the team to stay the pace of La Liga, but for now, a glass of Albariño, and a happy night to erase the memories of the Valencia match last season.