1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Spurs v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Careful. You’ll say that the team was properly coached for this match next.

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Don't get bitchy now Smithy, this thread is all harmony tonight <laugh>

Mind you, when you have a team with worldies, coaching should never be a problem <whistle>

cytrax likes this.
  3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Bruno has been pants though. It must be said. He shouldn’t be an automatic starter on current form.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh he weren't great today tbf.

Still though... set up one and robbed the ball that set up the second.

And like I said earlier, he was being a leader on the pitch today and I like to see that.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Btw I'm not keen on us taking the same approach in the last 15 mins against better opposition.

I hope Ole doesn't see that as a blueprint for games against other sides from now on.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  6. Christiansmith

You said the coaching was either useless or non existent <laugh>

But the single biggest improvement was seeing all the players playing to a system. All seem to know their roles without the ball and there seems to less or little of the confusion that was so obvious in the last few matches. Anyway the key now is to keep this unity going and get consistency. This is only the first win of a tough run.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It was. Today doesn't undo the past mate. This aint Back to the Future where Ole goes back in time in a Delorean ffs <laugh>

Consistency is key, something else I've always said. City lost to Palace today. They've had two **** results this week, no reason why we can't make it 3 by next weekend.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The last few changes were somewhat baffling with fifteen minutes to play. I don’t get why Bruno had to go for Matic while Fred and McTominay remained on the pitch. That was simply inviting pressure but luckily Tottenham players had no brain cells today. At 2-0, going completely defensive and inviting pressure is asking for trouble against a solid side with a single goal changing the trajectory of the match.

9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You just nailed down exactly what coaching is about. They obviously worked on the system today. The fact that there was a system that everyone watching could see tells you that they had good drills before stepping to the field today.

Edit… Ole’s quote

"Every time you lose a game it is the worst feeling in the world as a coach or manager. We needed the whole week to work on this performance."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  10. Christiansmith

Can we agree that everone has a responsibility when we lose and when we win? I’ve said many times (as Diego and GF) that although Ole and the coaching staff will ultimately bear the brunt, the players have to take responsibility too for our losses. Ole and the coaches do not ask players not to give 100%, not to tackle, not to be disciplined. They have recognised that and they’ve said it many times. Many here have scoffed and said they were covering for the manager. No, they are recognising that not everything can be laid at the door of the management. They have to come together and play with unity and commitment too.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

It starts and ends with the manager, my friend!
    You could have 11 Ronaldos, if there is no plan, they will fail! The manager owns the plan and has the right to pick the players to execute that plan. Without a plan, all is lost. Sure, they may win games here and there, but even when you watch such games, you will quickly see that there is no plan behind it.

So let’s just stop talking about the players and acknowledge that our recent failures have been due to lack of plan set out by the manager.

Buck ends there, end of!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  12. Christiansmith

Totally disagree. The buck ends with the manager but when individual players **** up or when some decide to give less than 100% on the pitch, then it’s their bloody fault not the manager. Well it seems we can’t or never will agree on this.

we come back to that same thing we had ages ago: when we win the players take the credit. When we lose it’s the manager to blame never the players. The wonderful logic of some, eh?

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

That’s exactly where I call your bs. Look in this thread and tell me where anyone has credited the players as opposed to the system that was implemented by the manager. Go ahead!

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The world and his wife knows Ole's nowhere near good enough.

I'd love to see this squad playing under a better manager.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, not really.

Even before before the game Ole was getting credit for changing the line up and trying what is clearly (to me anyway) a far more fluid system, suited to our players.

He then got credit for pulling it off.

There's a lazy assumption that supporters don't know what they are talking about and should just assume that the manager/coach/player always known better because they've played and that.

That's just bollocks, to be absolutely honest.

If it's down to the manager, he'll get credit, if it's down to the players, so will they.

Same applies other way round, it's not that hard to spot who's at fault.

16. Christiansmith

we are not talking about Ole. I’ve made my feelings clear after the RS debacle coming on top of leicester which for me was the turning point.

I was talking about players never being responsible for a defeat or loss of points. There were some matches when one or more of the players ****ed up and some here never placed the blame where it should be placed. To many here, the players can never be faulted for they are perfect. That’s all.

BTW we need to accept debate here without abuse or anger. If every ****er has the same point of view no point for a board is there? Just saying ;)

17. Christiansmith

you would have thought but this board obviously does find it hard. When we got beat against Villa, it was Fernandes missing a penalty. When we dropped 2 points against Everton, who played like a pussy against Gray instead of tackling him when a goal was almost inevitable? . Fred. If it’s that obvious why are many here not seeing and saying it?

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yep, Fred seems to be the focal point for our failings.

I don't mind him myself but, bottom line is, Ole keeps picking him.

So, whose 'fault' does that make it?

cytrax likes this.
  19. Christiansmith

FFS mate, I never said Fred was not good enough for us. Others may have. I like you think he can do a job for us not that we have an abundance of his type in our squad. I am talking about even our best players making errors that lead to us dropping points. Fernandes is a great recruit for us but he ****ed up THAT day. Fred cost us THAT match. It doesn’t mean I don’t want them selected. No amount of drilling in the training ground could have stopped Fernandes having that penalty ****storm. It’s surely not that hard to understand my point <doh>

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'll tell you my take on it bcos that's all I can do. I think the players have played beneath themselves and the expectations of the club. I'm not sure if the cause of that is either there's no game plan or they don't understand what is being asked of them due to poor coaching or if they've given up or whatever it may be. None of that really matters to me. And I'll tell you why - because even if they did decide to give 110%, the football is that dire, lacking in any creativity or consistency for any sustained period of games, with an inability to break down teams that are well organised and sit deep - that it wouldn't make much difference in terms of reaching and achieving the success we should be. It's like driving your ferrari with the handbrake on. You can rev the accelerator all you like, push the engine for all its worth, but you won't get the best out of it in terms of performance.

Agree on the rest I never hurl abuse at anyone on here. I may treat some posts with the contempt they deserve though <laugh>

As for having different points of view, you're saying exactly what I also said to GF after he went off in a huff.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021