1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

St Nicholas Abbey: Swinging Open The Doors of a Last Chance Saloon | Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by TopClass, Jan 15, 2014.

1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Having read the tragic news this afternoon regarding the passing of St Nicholas Abbey, I felt moved to write an article.

St Nicholas Abbey, we sometimes forget, was born out of the shadow and expectation of a wonderful Sea The Stars era. Sea The Stars has completed his invincible 3 year old season by winning the Arc just a couple of weeks after St Nicholas Abbey obliterated his Racing Post Trophy in spectacular style. Ballydoyle had got a special one on their hands, and the racing public had latched on in spades as all eyes pointed towards the Epsom Derby of 2010.

[video=youtube;QDalcwDiMgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDalcwDiMgA[/video]

The 2000 Guineas just did not happen for him. It has only emerged since, but Aiden O'Brien admitted he probably rushed him to get ready for the Guineas and, in his own words, "messed him up"- with the rest of 2010 written off and ruled out of Epsom.
    [video=youtube;08RqPZw0AxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08RqPZw0AxQ[/video]

Unfortunately, I don't have the video for St Nics return in 2011. He was beaten over 10f when long odds on at the Curragh- although going right-handed was to prove a continuously unfruitful venture as his career progressed- and then he stepped up to 1m 5f, at Chester in the Diamond Ormonde Stakes. Unfortunately the video has disappeared, but it was the single most impressive performance I have ever seen at Chester, the way he quite literally blasted away off the bend and had Ryan Moore fighting to pull him up well past the winning line. It launched St Nicholas Abbey back into contention for a shot at the big stage, with Racing UK commentator uttering the phrase that always stayed with me - "and St Nicholas Abbey swings open the doors of the last chance saloon."

From then on, he never looked back. He competed in no fewer than 13 Group 1 races from there on in, and for that reason it is a race I always remember fondly, because it turned him around.

He went on to beat the wonderful Midday in the Coronation Cup a month later, registering his second career Group 1 success, and having ran well when in Danedreams Arc, went to America to crack the Breeders Cup. And he did it, spectacularly.

[video=youtube;TfwiZ1Dzz8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfwiZ1Dzz8U[/video]

Just like Chester, he just obliterated his rivals on a tight track with fast turf, an outstanding comeback and finally announced himself as a global superstar.

He won the Dubai Sheema Classic in similar style from Gentildonna, and became a triple Coronation Cup winner. He finished with 6 Group 1 wins, and mixed with the best of his generation between 10f and 12f- Frankel, Snow Fairy, Midday, Nathaniel, Danedream, Workforce, Cirrus Des Aigles. The list is endless.

He was a flash back to the past in so many ways. In an era where we see horses kept away from competing against genuine rivals, afraid of defeat for impact on a stud fee, St Nicholas Abbey was a rare, true superstar. People can rank horses in whatever order preference they like, but I'll leave you with one thing- you can't put a price on a brave little warrior like this fellow. Ran his heart out every single time, had form that tied in with every Group 1 middle distance animal in Europe and America, and all of that achieved after it looked like his career was over.

A remarkable, beautiful son of Montjeu.

R.I.P <peacedove>

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tear jerking Toppy and I haven't played the videos yet. Thank you for that tribute which he truly deserved.

3. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Beautifully wrote and presented TC, a fitting tribute to St.Nic, a horse that will live in the memory forever one would think <applause>

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watched the videos. Fantastic.

5. Brough Tiger

Brough Tiger Well-Known Member

I still remember that Ormonde stakes at Chester and i agree, one of the most impressive performances i have seen in my short time of watching horse racing, the way he quickened off the bend and just kept galloping at a relentless pace was truly astonishing.

6. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm staying with my son at present and, luckily, he has an account so I was able to watch the race. Fantasic! Can't get used to him no longer being with us. So cruel.

Thanks Toppy