1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve howard

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Harap, May 17, 2011.

1. Harap

Harap Member

2. TopTigersFan

TopTigersFan Member

Agreed, but then again I'd rather have Steve Morison than Howard but we can't afford him. If we can get Howard on a free then I think we will definitely sign him as he has played for NP for two years with Matty. He would offer us something different and is worth a punt if no transfer fee is involved (I know he's still got a year left but maybe he could buy himself out of that contract or come to some sort of settlement).

3. lexg

lexg Member

Agree 100%. Great addition to the squad if he fits in financially.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure we'd all rather see a Steve Morison/Danny Graham/Grant Holt type signing, but if we haven't got that sort of cash available for a single player, then I'd definitely rather have Steve Howard than Dele Adebola.

5. Barmbys_Tan

Barmbys_Tan Well-Known Member

We need a new type of striker unlike the similiar ability strikers we have now

Cullen/Mclean and Simpson are all of the same ability with Fryatt an exeption ... If Howard can add something extra to the strike force which we've been lacking like an Aerial threat.. then Sign Him Up

6. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

News this end is we are bidding for Emile Heskey and you want Steve Howard

7. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

8. HFFP

HFFP Well-Known Member

As long as you keep Sven you won't be going anywhere....up.

9. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

You consider Cullen and Simpson to be on a par? Cullen's useless even in League 2. We all know what Simpson is capable of, it's just getting the chances and also being played in the right position that's the problem.

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

<ok>

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

There's a bit of talk of Cullen going on a season long loan to Rotherham.

12. N

N Active Member

We need to do something with Cullen. He isn't going to get a game here anytime soon. I would like to see him go in a cash + swap deal for another player.

13. dem_on

dem_on Member

I'd prefer Ricardo Fuller to either Howard or Adebola both of whom seem past it.

14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

He was on the verge of a £3m-plus move to Sunderland in January, so I'm sure he can find a better club - or at least team - than ourselves.

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

There will be plenty of demand for Fuller's services, much as I'd love him to come in, he's on too big a wage and there'll be too much competition.

16. Totally HCAFC

Totally HCAFC Active Member

Fuller is still good enough to play for a premiership team easy, id be suprised if a team like QPR didnt go for him! after they take Jimmy off our hands that is!

17. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

To be honest, I can see him joining Sunderland. Didn't he fail a medical in January? Or was it paperwork?

Either way, if he's fit, it would surprise me. He's a very good player.

18. Harap

Harap Member

i personally agree with what has already been said... we clearly have space for one more striker (and someone who offers something a bit different), therefore, we have three 'options' in my opinion;

1) Spend big and try and force the arm of the likes of Millwall or Watford for Morison or Graham, getting proven Championship quality.

2) Test the water with a lower league success story, but unproven at our level, somebody like Le Fondre (or even Clayton Donaldson, you never know)

3) Spend very little but make sure they offer vast experience and can be called upon to change things from the bench (even if only 'putting' themselves about), obviously Howard falls into this category.

I personally think (and wouldn't necessarily disapprove of) we would be most likely to go with option 3 considering any substantial funds we may or may not have are better spent elsewhere (Ayala, Hobbs, a GK).

19. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

1. Yes, but considering Newcastle have been linked to Graham and other Premier League teams linked to Morison, is it really likely that one or both would come here? No. Plus, you have to consider that the two players in question are at Watford and Millwall; sides we'll no doubt be competing with for a Play-Off place in 2012. Their clubs ARE aware of this, I'm sure.

2. Le Fondre is fat and unproven at a higher level. At least Donaldson has tasted the SPL, and whilst his experience wasn't without problems, he's clearly a better player for it - as evidenced by his success during the past few years since he joined Crewe Alexandra. I don't particularly want either, but if I had to choose, I would opt for CD.

3. Not a bad option, but clearly a middle-ground between points (1) and (3) is the best option, whilst (2) is far more risky. But, if it pays off, it can be very worthwhile, especially if they move on for a few million at a later date.

20. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

All this criticism of Mark Cullen is just stupid.

He's 19, practically a foetus. Last year he was amazing at youth level scoring over 30 goals and loads for the reserves too. He got games in the first team and looked very good including a goal at Wigan. In pre season he scored in just about every game he played in and looked extremely lively. He had a few games in the first team where like Simpson at the time, he looked ****. It was in an awful team with no service or anything. It wasn't until xmas that any of our players looked even half decent.

If anyone has taken the time to go a reserve game that MC has played in, and you have any ability to spot a good player, you'll have seen that the lad has frightening pace, an eye for goal and most importantly he never stops moving and working the defender.

I'm not saying he should be tried in the first team, in fact I think a year out on loan would be ideal for him. But there's no way you can expect him to be an instant success when chucked in at the deep end and label him as **** if he isn't. Give him time.