1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Still paying silly wages??

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Chris-Gashead, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Just seen this quote on the Vale site:

“I just thought it was good business sense to get the full wages recovered from Bristol Rovers and get Tommy O’Sullivan in. He has just as much quality but cost far less from a wages point of view.”

So according to this we are paying ALL of Lines wages - which must be fairly substantial.... so that brings up a question....are we STILL paying silly money for players?

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/04/lines-move-was-good-business-sense/

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I dont think we are still paying silly wages. Its been out in public that the wage bill has been halved since last season. Obviously Brown, McMchrystal, Parkes, Mildenhall may already be on silly money as still under contract from last season (Brown signed a new deal in the summer). I cant imagine if we have cut the wage bill in half that the rest would be on much. I know Easter took a cut in wages to join us but he may be on silly money. As for Lines, its just a loan deal and we havent had him for long. Space his wages that we would cover for his loan period, space it over a season and he would be on less if that makes sense. Most deals are 1 - 2 year deals as well, no silly 3 year deals.

3. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

I imagine Macca, Parkes, Mildy, Easter, Lines, possibly Brown would all be on well over 1k per week. What's the average wages for a conference player? I suspect we are still paying a lot more than the going rate for most decent conference players. I just think, if we are to lose these debts, we would really need to get in line with the other teams around us

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think Watola said earlier in the season that we need over 11000 at the Mem each home game to break even. Now I dont know if thats just to cover wages or cover all of our outgoings.

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I thought there were fair play rules covering those sorts of things now...

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

fair play is in the football league but i dont think its in non league. hense eastleigh who struggle with attendances are able to sign the players they have. and fgr. sugar daddies get you out of this league, like fleetwood and crawley have in the past.

even when you are promoted to league 2, you dont automatically fit in the fair play rules along with the other clubs in league 2. they give you a season to be able to get your finances in order to meet the fair play rules. thats why you often see a club promoted from non league immediately promoted to league 1 the following season. they then dont have the fair play rules either as entered a new league so you get another season to meet the fair play rules in that league. league 1 and 2 have different rules/quotas. so you could spend what you like in non league and get promoted, spend what you like in league 2 and get promoted and spend what you like in league 1 etc etc. however the issue is, once in league 1 or 2 and you spend what you like, if you fail to go up straight away, you have to make a lot of cuts the next season. hense why you see crawley struggle in league 1 now. they for example failed to go up from league 1 to championship meaning they have to comply with fair play rules for league 1 so their budgets cut massively even though they have a sugar daddy. they need to rely on their fan base to bring in gate receipts to be able to spend but as they are really a non league club punching way above their weight in league 1 because of a sugar daddy, they have failed to get people in the door so struggling with fair play hense why they are struggling in the league.

we could spend what we like but budgets halved because money been needed for the fight over sainsburys/trash etc. rovers have publicly admitted this.

7. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suspect that what we're paying Lines is a 'last throw of the dice.'
    If we want him next season there could be some hard bargaining.

8. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

If we fail to get promoted on Saturday owing to Barnet winning and we get to Wembley and win through Chris Lines scoring the winners would it still be silly momey

9. old timer

If we are paying silly wages to Lines did he start paying them back today

10. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Money well spent... and a decent pay day to come at Wembley.

11. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

Great post Old Timer.

It was a gamble but Chrissy Lines has been well worth it, lets face it he ran the show in both legs against the vegetarians. Seems to have lost his arrogance and i mean that respectfully. I don't want to sound presumptious but on that Wembley pitch i think he may have his finest game, the size of the pitch and quality of surface is perfect for Linesy.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

The Gas have proved that they can knock the ball about when the fancy takes them. That should suit Master Lines and help us towards a big chunk of the half million reward.

13. old timer

I thought linesy was good first time around, with his experience of the higher leagues and his love of the club he was I believe always going to be a good singing. Hope whatever happens at Wembley the club will find a way of securing his services for the coming seasons

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The funds received by recent big crowds at the mem like alfreton and FGR and over 8000 crowds in the previous games too, with the tv revenue from the play offs and the funds we will get from wembley, that would have paid for lines wages im sure. Its like we got him for free but getting the benefits from him too <ok>

Also regarding finances, I read from the conference themselves, 50% of the revenue from the final at wembley goes to us and Grimsby and that 50% is shared pro rata and not 25% each. So if we take 40,000 and Grimsby take 20,000 then out of 50% of the revenue, rovers will get a much bigger chunk of the 50%.

The other 50% is shared between the other 21 conference clubs (not including champions Barnet). The conference themselves get nothing.