1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sturridge to get the most out of Benteke?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Magic Ted, Aug 25, 2015.

1. If you play Coutinho left, the game will be narrow as ****. Coutinho won't hug the touchline and Gomez isn't providing width either.

Play someone to the left and right of him, if he wonders left (which he will) then the opposition RB can't just come over with him and Coutinho as more options too.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

Can you name who?

3. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I just think it's great that our problem has progressed from who the **** can we play as our striker, is there anyone half competent in the reserves we can put there? To who the **** do we drop from the side to fit in Sturridge?

Our squad is strong and we have lots of options, not only in attack, but also in midfield.

There are only a few undroppable players right now for various reasons: Coutinho, MIgnolet, Henderson (Captain) and Milner (pretty much promised game time). There are then other players who who will come into play depending on preference or system, but those four will play the vast majority of games this season from a starting role unless they need a rest in an easier fixture.

Sturridge is no longer essential meaning he can return to the side slowly and not be lumped with pressure immediately - which is great, in my opinion. He's a quality player and shouldn't be written off yet. He probably struggled to return because of him being our only striker and was rushed back on occasion! Now he's got time.

Super G Ted'inho, astro and JayKay like this.
  4. moreinjuredthanowen

good points. there are certainly options.

and when there are options then there are changes to make for different opponents

you are dead right about sturridge he should not really need to play 90mins for a good while in theory.

5. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

I don't know when he's due back from injury, but we don't need him right now so he can spend a month or so getting training and U21 games before being eased back. Benteke, Ings, Firmino and Origi are plenty for now.

As you say, options now across the field. We can mix up the team and before and during games to be more solid or expansive depending on the opposition. It's something we've not been able to do for a long time.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

7. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Plenty of good ideas here for when Studge comes back, but don't forget that we won't be able to try them all in the five/six games he has before he gets injured again.

8. Well, I would play a diamond so no one lol

I was arguing the Coutinho central vs left debate.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

OK fair enough. You did say someone left a d right so that prompted the question.