1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sub 2 hour marathon

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by balkan tiger, Oct 12, 2019.

1. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

some of the running shoes they are using have now been banned also... something to do with the sole ... the runner on Chris Evans radio show was on about it the other day...

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Time to introduce standards for running shoes? As long as these Nike shoes are only to be available to a select few it does seem to make the playing field a bit uneven.

3. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

They're open to everyone provided they're willing to pay the £200+ price tag. Not unusual now to see 90% plus of the top end of an elite field wearing the shoes.

I run a lot of marathons but have zero interest in buying the shoes - partly because of the price and partly because it would feel like it was them making me faster, not my fitness / ability but then again, I'm not at the sharp end of the race, it's getting to the stage where if you're not wearing them you probably won't be able to be competitive at the front of the field

Yardley Tiger likes this.
  4. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I was going by an article I read:

Because the shoes are usually released in highly-limited quantities — and the exact shoes worn by Kipchoge and other runners are usually prototypes — The Times reports that the shoes don’t fall within regulations because they are not “available to all.” In addition, it’s widely expected that World Athletics will introduce new parameters with regards to sneaker design that shoe manufacturers won’t be allowed to exceed.

But then I googled the shoe and sure enough there they are!

5. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

That was the case when they first came out but they're now available to the masses. All other major shoe manufacturers will be bringing out their versions as soon as possible but chances are regulations will change as the article you quote mentions and their use might be restricted - no idea what that will mean for the numerous records that have been broken since their release

6. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Should make'em all do a Zola Budd!