1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2020 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints FC 76, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

The Mirror are reporting that if PEH goes to Spurs, Winks future is in doubt. I’ve got a solution KWP & HW for PEH...simples!

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My suggested answer about two weeks ago.

If it's possible, it's just so obvious for me. Kills two birds with one stone, as you say.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

I think Winks is a very good midfielder, Tidy and has a pass in him.. Seems to good to happen. Especially ashe is English. Nice to dream though.

4. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Genuine Q - is Winks so much better than Harry Reed? They seem similar to me, and we haven’t seen much of Reed. I’m not saying he is btw, I haven’t seen enough of him, and it may be a case of Saints tinted specs where it comes to him.

I do rate Winks though, and would prefer him to PEH, who I’ve never been worried of losing.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I'd rather get Reed back than Winks. Don't rate Winks all that highly at all.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's having a top season for Fulham. But then again, I don't think his credentials in the Championship are in any doubt. He's been good at level for a while now. But there has to be a question mark as to why every manager since Koeman has preferred to loan him out, rather than use him in the PL.

This summer is surely the time for a decision to be made. Either include him in the first team squad, or sell him. Stop loaning him out every season.

That said, even if we do include him in the first team squad next season, I would still want us to sign another CM. We essentially only have three this year, which is nowhere near enough. Need at least four, ideally five. We've been incredibly fortunate that JWP hasn't been injured or suspended this season (as I recall). So merely replacing PEH with Reed wouldn't be sufficient for me. But Winks and Reed for PEH? I could get on board with that.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Winks has never stood out to me. Neither had KWP either. Just shows how much better Spurs are that 2 players all their fans agree aren’t good enough most Saints fans are excited about

8. Negative Creep

Yep, i was hoping Winks will be included with any deal for PEH. My only concern having Winks and Reed is they are fairly similar, which in some ways isn’t bad as a like for like replacement but what if you wanted a bigger, better beast than Oriol, that may be better focusing on that rather than 2 of the same small but technical players. Also, i thought Reed only has another year after this season ends.

9. Negative Creep

You could argue that the other way about PEH...

10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

9 points and five league positions as it stands.

11. Saintmagic

Yes so a lot better

Saints_Alive likes this.
  12. Saints_Alive

Reed has earned a shot at impressing Ralph and might just save us a few bob to be spent on other positions.

13. Saints_Alive

<laugh>
    We'll see next season

14. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

Reed has shown enough at clubs aspiring for promotion in the Championship that he absolutely should be a Premier League player next season. If he’s not seen as a potential replacement for PEH (I’d be shocked if he wasn’t as the two are statistically very similar) then we need to sell immediately as he’s entering his final year of his contract and turning 26 in January. Fulham have an interest in signing him as would about 6-7 of the top division teams. Unless he returns with an issue I’d say it’s nailed on for him to replace PEH. Then as players to fill the two CM roles we have JWP, Reed, Romeu and Smallbone. If we add Ntcham to that then we’re good.

Think our overall window will be something like:

In - Salisu, Ntcham, KWP

Out - PEH, Vesty + anyone else from the fringe who we can shift.

I’d like to see us do a bit more with the attack to relieve Ings (anotherCB too!) but given what Ralph has said about his squad building beliefs in the past I’d be surprised to see much more than that.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  15. Saintmagic

Didn’t everyone say this last season when Hassenhuttl kept us up? “Next season we are going to be great” “Everyone better watch out” “A full pre season and Ralphy will have us being amazing”

Whilst I don’t think we will start as badly as we did this season, I also don’t think we’ll be troubling the higher reaches of the league either. Somewhere around where we are now is what my very early prediction would be. Basically sat in mid table for the whole season

16. Saints_Alive

He lost his assistant at the start of this season and lost his way and experimented, since he found his preferred team and formation we have been as good as Spuds have.
    But I know you are on a wind up, makes me wonder why you chose Saints as your club sometimes ..:emoticon-0110-tongu

17. Saintmagic

What’s the wind up? That I don’t think we are going to be pushing for a European place? I don’t think we will, doesn’t seem like a big wind up to me

Libby likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Ok mate at least we won't get relegated..:grin:

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Magic has a point tbf. Go back a year ago and everyone was saying how much better we'd be next season and wouldn't have to worry about a relegation battle etc.

Not that I think we'll start as badly this season, but think we're still a few players short of really doing anything other than midtable imo. We've also been extremely lucky with Danny's fitness so let's hope that continues.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  20. Saints_Alive

We need an upgrade at CB and KWP or another RB plus possibly a creative player but if we continue with our post lockdown form I can see us as a top ten team.
    The defence has to be better next season as soft goals have been our achilles heel for too long now.
    I honestly believe that Che will be a big player for us and will chip in with his share of goals next season.

Lambertissier and davecg69 like this.