1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

We have been here before, with the likes of Morgan, twat beard,VVD etc.
    Paul Merson said the other week that Armstrong for example would fit straight into Arsenals first 11.(also said JWP and Vesty would as well)
    I am not saying it will happen and I hope it doesn’t.
    But he is an asset and we are skint......and we do sell.

2ears1mouth likes this.
  2. 2ears1mouth

2ears1mouth New Member

This ^ 100%

I also don’t want any of our best players to leave but we’re not going to sell any of our dead wood out on loan; might be able to defer their wages but I think that’s unlikely regarding Hoedt & Lemina & therefore there’s a possibility we could even be in a worse £ position in a month or so! I would imagine other PL clubs including their chairmen are eyeing all our decent players knowing there’s a good chance they can get some bargains & the club will be open to discuss. Our only saving grace maybe that everyone is skint but of course that’s not an even playing field & we would find ourselves as one of the worst off? Gao gives me no confidence he wouldn’t sell his mum as long as he can maintain PL status & that’s the gamble!

3. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Armstrong is 29 now though. While he's a very good player, no one (well I think it's unlikely anyway) is going to come in and offer the fee it would take for us to sell him. Clubs who are interested could put a similar amount of money towards a younger player who's just as talented and get more years for their money. I think this is similar to what Tom was saying.

Regarding Lemina, hasn't he played almost every week for Fulham? While they're probably going down, I could easily see someone like Watford/Bournemouth (if they win the play-offs) signing him, perhaps even someone else in the bottom half like Palace or Newcastle. Teams will know they can get him relatively cheaply and cheap is likely to be a popular choice this summer.

When Lemina was with us he always seemed to be looking for a way out, but we probably could have made use of him this season. Unlikely that Ralph will want to keep him for next season but you never know. Although if he did that and Lemina performed well enough to attract an interest, he'd be able to leave on a free in summer 2022 <laugh> Probably best off trying to get what we can this summer.

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Welcome to the board! Any issues, PM me or saint brendy!

holierthanthou and 2ears1mouth like this.
  5. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And a welcome to the board from me too.

2ears1mouth likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

And hello from me.

2ears1mouth likes this.
  7. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

West Ham and Newcastle reportedly after him for £7m.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

9. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Lemina is clearly a very talented player who just doesn’t perform consistently. Lots of managers would fancy themselves to get the best out of him. I’m not sure he fits what Hassenhuttl looks for in a centre mid so don’t think he has a future here but I’m sure he will have suitors

OddRiverOakWizards and Kaito like this.
  10. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Think people forget that Lemina and Ralph spent 7 months together back when Ralph took charge

Ralph then decided he wasn't right for us. Doubt that'll change now.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

In my opinion we are really going to struggle again next season if we don't take the risk and invest in a referee. It was very naive of Ralph to think we could retain our good form throughout the whole campaign without a single referee in our squad. Realistically we need to have at least one who can give us 15-20 dodgy decisions, and we also need a reliable back up in case the first choice gets poached by one of the bigger clubs.

12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

He left a sour taste.

13. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Are we potentially looking as goalkeepers ?

Both McCarthy and Forster have one year left. We surely won’t give Forster a new deal unless he wants to halve his wages

McCarthy is apparently looking for his last big pay day. Has been offered a new 3 year deal (or maybe 4) at 50-55k a week

He is not signing as he is seeking an 100k a week deal elsewhere. This is baffling to me as I can’t even think of many teams that would buy him as first choice. Let alone put him on 100k a week. And how many teams have their reserve goalie on 100k? I guess Man United, Man City and Chelsea? And that is probably it...

14. Saintmagic

Depending on funds/who is available I wouldn't mind signing a new keeper anyway. Both Forster and McCarthy are OK but not much more than that imo. Not a huge priority though

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I doubt United will say yes but no harm in enquiring about Henderson on loan.

16. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Ralph and his team have a cunning plan.

17. Gregm1988

I am more looking a year ahead when both will be out of contract

Unless this summer will reveal to Alex that he is living in a fantasy land and is not going to find a club that will double his money and he extends

18. Saintmagic

Yeah I get your point but if moneys tight then we might just have to say goodbye to both of them when their contracts are up and sign 2 keepers next summer (like we are doing at LB this year)

garysfc likes this.
  19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep probably play JWP there and put McCarthy in midfield.

Lemons and Oranges and davecg69 like this.
  20. Gregm1988

I am just interested in whether we take the offer for McCarthy off of the table if he chooses not to sign over the summer. He is winding his contract down in hope for a massive contract offer elsewhere that seems highly unlikely to come

I guess if our finances are that tight we can’t make an early move for his replacement and so he can wait until the last moment to extend. If his pride lets him of course