1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer '22 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

Yeah, that seems a good shout. He'd go with most of our best wishes but feel Slater is now preferred, and we need to free up space for perhaps more ball-playing additions in the middle of the park. Based on Slaters recent performances rightly so.

2. NewcastleTiger

NewcastleTiger Well-Known Member

Doc reminds me of Honeyman in his first season. With better players around him his strengths could be utilised more as he’d be played further up the pitch. Whilst I wouldn’t be against moving him on, we can’t be letting everyone go. Need some form of continuity.

Howden Tigress, PLT and Idi Amin like this.
  3. Mckechnie Orange

True. But with Smallwood, Slater, Jones all being able to play the holding role. And with the likelihood Honeyman might drop more central and compete with Slater for the box to box role, I wonder whether Doc would be content to warm the bench in his final year.

Obvs with Hudds, Cannon, Moncur I'd prioritise moving them on instead of Doc, but will he get minutes if we bring more of a ball player into the central mix?

Honeyman came in injured at the start but started looking decent when everyone else had downed tools. Also followed it up the last 2 years consistently. Doc works hard and is consistent but I'm not seeing quite the ability required at this level. Honeyman had already established himself in the championship before he came here.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    NewcastleTiger likes this.
  4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

If you'd have asked me ahead of the season who I thought was nailed on to be in our starting XI it would be Docherty, but sadly, he's looked a shadow of the player we saw last season.

5. jhe10

jhe10 Well-Known Member

Ditto. It's disappointing, but I think we can see why Rangers were happy to move him on, not good enough for Tier 2 (or Tier 1 in Scotland).

6. Mckechnie Orange

Yeah, I was expecting the same from Wilks too, but sadly he hasn't performed to his potential and has looked disinterested most of this year.

7. NewcastleTiger

Think context needs to be there for him, he’s adapting to a new role in a higher level of football. Last season he was more advanced, his strengths were winning the ball high up, driving runs and arriving late to score. This season he’s camped in front of the back 3 and it’s highlighting his weaknesses, it’s a ruthless league but with better players around him I think he’ll come into his own if he sticks around. Got all the natural tools to be a top box to box midfielder. But again wouldn’t be surprised if he’s moved on.

8. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

I think Docherty is best when the opposition back off and sit deep, allowing him to use his energy and aggression to move the ball up the field. We saw that last season in League 1. Most teams last season were wary of us and cautiously sat deep, hoping to nick a goal on the counter. We were the big dogs in League 1 and most teams were fearful of us.

Should Doc end up at Peterborough, he might flourish there for the same reasons. They’ll be going down with arguably the strongest squad in League 1, like we did. Doc’s biggest issue is that he struggles when teams press high and don’t give him the space and freedom to move. He just doesn’t have the technical ability to play neat one-touch passes or look up and find a player quickly when on the ball.

NewcastleTiger likes this.
  9. Mckechnie Orange

Gerrard pretty much summed it up when he said he was the hardest working/fittest player at the club, then sold him without giving him a debut. I suspect he's found his level.

Kalman likes this.
  10. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

I don't think doc should be written off just yet, look how poor hooneyman looked last time in the championship compared to this time. I'd keep him around the squad next season and go from there

11. Mckechnie Orange

Honeyman had established himself as a champ player at Sunderland. Totally bossed our last PL game at theirs. Came in carrying injury but after the covid restart seemed to have shook it off and looked a different player despite relegation.

Doc for me is still to prove he has what it takes at the level. I'm not against him staying as his attitude seems top notch but I don't see the Honeyman comparison personally. Not yet anyway.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  12. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Is that the one he didn’t play in?

13. NewcastleTiger

Real shame we missed out in Harrison Ashby just watched them trounce Leeds u23s on twitter and he looked a different level. Hope we go back in for him.

14. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I’m a teacher, I go by school year <laugh>

15. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Oh, two months late you say?

Nah won’t open that tinderbox up <laugh>

16. Mckechnie Orange

My apologies. It was the home game that he made an impression in 5 years ago. How could I possibly have got that wrong....?
    The one late in the season when we needed to win but didn't - that good enough for you?

Point still stand's that in comparison to Doc, George was established at the level before he came here.

Though you're more interested in pedantry than this partucular debate aren't you?

17. Mckechnie Orange

No. Probably wise, though when Acun said it I was expecting someone from the crowd to tell him he was full of ****....

18. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Hahaha I nearly did but thought I better not

19. kingstontiger

kingstontiger Well-Known Member

I agree he's had a disappointing season but like you I think he's been adapting to a different level. I'd really like to see him stay and benefit from the new coaching team. Think he might come back flying next season. Just strikes me as a determined character who will work really hard at his game to better himself so I would like him to stay but agree wouldn't be that surprised if he didn't.

20. augustatiger

augustatiger Well-Known Member

If they were racehorses they would be the same age.