1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Sunday 19th. May 2024

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, May 18, 2024.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Sunday's Meetings

Ripon
    Flat 7 Races 1:44-4:55p.m.
    Naas
    Flat 8 Races 1:50-5:30p.m.
    Stratford
    N/H 6 Races 2:05-4:35p.m.
    Newmarket(E)
    Flat 7 Races 3:45-6:45p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races
    Sporting Life
    Racing Post

Good Luck <ok>

2. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

6.45 Newmarket-Raimunda

Think she will have a good season

Each Way [5 Places], currently 18-1

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Off to Auteuil in the morning. 10 races to study but sadly no I’ll Est Francais in the Grand Steeplechase. Have wanted to go to the track for a while so looking forward to it.

gazboy and Pilgrim like this.
  4. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Have a great day, Chan, hope you find a few winners, even though it's a very difficult card to find them! Good luck! <ok>

Chaninbar likes this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Very difficult indeed Swanny. I’m minded to side with the lasses in a few. Rachael Blackmore goes over for 2 rides in lesser races and even gets a weight allowance in the first. Also Bryony Frost pops over for one ride too.

SwanHills likes this.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Neither IEF nor Theleme. What a pity!

Chaninbar likes this.
  7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Have a good day Chan - notebook out for the juvenile race <ok>

Chaninbar likes this.
  8. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Why is Marquand riding for Balding in the first at Newmarket?
    Well, I suppose it's because Murphy isn't. Perhaps Murphy is claimed by China Horse and is riding their colt, Patrol, trained by Haggas. Balding has a posse of jockeys but calls on Marquand.
    Make of it, what you will.

9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Patrol is part owned by Qatar Bloodstock and I think that Murphy still has a retainer with Qatar Racing.

Bustino74 likes this.
  10. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You know it is getting bad when there is a meeting at HQ and the Timeform column on SportingLife.com is tipping three horses, two of which are making their turf debuts (one a handicap debutant) and the other is a short priced favourite for a twelve runner handicap.

As I have a case of seconditis this week (an improvement on recent form), here is today’s offering for forecast punters if you can find the winner:

The 5:45 looks like a trappy little sprint with just nine at the time of writing (one non-runner). Watch My Tracer is clearly well regarded, having contested the Coventry as a juvenile but both starts this year have been at seven furlongs, a Listed win on the kitty litter and a no-show in the Greenham but he looks quite exposed and will find it hard giving weight away to some improving types now dropped back to sprinting. Well related handicap debutant Jehangeer ran creditably when last seen but a starting mark of 93 against race fit rivals has me looking elsewhere. Similar remarks could apply to Warm Spell, who ran two of his three juvenile races over seven furlongs and starts off 91 over a furlong less. After winning a York novice, The Coffee Pod has been underwhelming in three subsequent starts, most recently a modest third in a Windsor handicap over five furlongs so it is hard to see him being involved at the business end today. After breaking his duck at the third attempt on the kitty litter, Completely Random switched to turf over course and distance last time and never featured in a valuable race on Guineas day so he might be one to watch here with his sights lowered as that was only his fourth start. After winning over five on his 2024 debut on kitty litter, Cargin Bhui had his fourth start of the campaign at Chester but was well beaten in the race where Garfield Shadow and Al Shabab Storm fought out the finish. Only a neck separated the front two and now the runner-up is 1lb better off in the rematch; however, he was race fit that day and I expect unbeaten Garfield Shadow to come out on top again although Fahey warns in his column about the quick turnaround after a hard race. So that leads me to today’s runner up contender, WOODHAY WONDER, who clearly loves this course and distance having brought up a hat-trick when making all for Tom Marquand in April. Her career record is 4 wins from 7 starts, she races off a 5lb higher mark today and I should get a run for my money even if that burden proves to be too much... at least Oli Bell is not tipping her!

Bustino74 likes this.

11. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Non Runner [Going]

12. SwanHills

One to ignore I guess on my current 'form' (if that's what you call it), but will give it a go in the (17:45) at Newmarket, a Class-2 Handicap dash over 6f on good-to-firm ground. Briefly, the selection is the Mehmas colt, Warm Spell, who, with conditions to suit, has a very good chance of making a decent showing in this affair. James Doyle on board for the Roger Varian stable.

8/1 (Coral) top price early-doors, on th ATR site. E/W best option.

13. Bustino74

Thanks QM, I knew it had to be something like that.
    I have doubled my bet on Berkshire Smudge (in 4 hours his price has gone from 15/1 to 19/2).

14. Bustino74

Ha ha. Marquand's mount beat one home and that was Murphy's mount.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Berkshire Smudge does a lot better. Apparently he appeared the greenest in the paddock and on his way to the start.

15. SwanHills

Nice one, QMIII, with Woodhay Wonder, well done. <ok>

(Mine missed the break but it made no difference. However, will surely strip fitter next time out. One for the notebook)

Bustino74 likes this.