1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Bradford City – Tuesday 9th November 2021 - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 8, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Nov 9, 2021.
  1. Home win

58.3%
  2. Away win

10.4%
  3. Draw - Safc win on penalties

8.3%
  4. Draw Bcfc win on penalties

2.1%
  5. Meh - PJT

20.8%
  1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Younger is a decent defender

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

He’s a glass half full bloke. I’ve noticed that from day one. Always looks for the positives.

3. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

It was a bit better to be fair. I would have taken Broadhead off too though. Coming back from an injury and had probably already done enough for Johnson in terms of next game.

4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Roker Report Player Ratings:

Ron-Thorben Hoffmann: 7/10

Comfortable all night. No chance with the goal, made a great save right at the death to ensure the game finished 1-1 and gave Sunderland a good start in the shoot-out, only for Bradford to score their remaining penalties.
    Kenton Richardson: 6/10
    Out of position for the opening goal but otherwise solid defensively, almost scored but could only get a toe on the end of a Gooch cross.
    Frederik Alves: 6/10
    Always looks composed, in and out of possession, but not particularly tested by the Bradford frontline.
    Oliver Younger: 6/10
    Typically solid display from Younger.
    Lynden Gooch: 6/10
    Missed his penalty during the shoot-out, got booked early on after being turned by the Bradford winger but put in a shift at both full back positions and got forward often. A mixed bag.
    Luke O’Nien: 5/10
    Lost his man at the back post for the opening goal. Played one good ball over the top to create a chance for Dajaku and scored his penalty but thought he was quite quiet overall.
    Harrison Sohna: 5/10
    Tidy in possession but too easily beaten on the right in the build up to the opening goal.
    Elliot Embleton: 6/10
    Got an assist with a well played ball over the top for Broadhead, had a few moments where he would inject a bit of pace in the game and get the team going with a quick one-two but then would disappear for a little while.
    Alex Pritchard: 7/10
    Saw his penalty saved and for most of the game was playing far too deep but showed his quality late on with a couple of dangerous crosses, some quick feet around the box to win a free-kick and was unlucky to see his shot cannon back off the bar.
    Leon Dajaku: 7/10
    Still don’t think Dajaku is fully fit after missing so much of the year with injury and illness but shows promise. Had two great chances to score, one in both halves but the goalkeeper saved both.
    Nathan Broadhead: 7/10
    Some lovely touches and bits of hold up play without being given any service until the ball over the top from Embleton was finished with aplomb to equalise.

Subs

Will Harris: 7/10
    Kept the Bradford defenders on their toes late on, saw his follow up to Dajaku’s chance cleared off the line, scuffed another shot wide and then scored his penalty.
    Ellis Taylor: 6/10
    Under hit a cross shortly after coming on and then overcompensated with the next one but redeemed himself with a nice ball over the top for Harris which the striker couldn’t convert.
    Carl Winchester: 6/10
    Came on and slotted into midfield alongside O’Nien but was mainly on defensive duty, a calm bit of play in his own box to relieve pressure and then two quick sliding tackles being the highlight of his cameo.

Man of the Match: Alex Pritchard

I don’t think anyone particularly shone for 90 minutes, with most of our better performers fading in and out but when we got the ball in and around the box late on, Pritchard was heavily involved and that was a position we need to make sure he is in more. So he just edges Broadhead for me, who would probably have got my MotM if not for his early substitution.

Robertson and Oliver's Army like this.
  5. FellTop

Yeah he did well enough. Has a happy knack of being in the right spot, smells danger well. Would probably prefer him in a 3 not a 2 but got to be better option than Wright in any formation.

6. FellTop

Most managers do and it isnt a bad thing. So long as behind closed doors he is making them aware of the bad stuff as well. Most of the time the negatives need to be in house.

clockstander and marcusblackcat like this.
  7. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Just saw that on Twitter. Did they get Pritchard mixed up with someone else? He was **** as was Gooch. Onien was anonymous and as the senior midfielder, he had no authority on the game at all. Dajaku was a 5 at best as well.

8. Oliver's Army

Younger is a defender that loves defending which, in this league, is no bad thing at all. I agree, I'd have him instead of Wright all day.

9. Oliver's Army

10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if they even watched the game.
    The midfielders get marked down for conceding goals but others get marked up for missing chances.

clockstander and Oliver's Army like this.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Watching a different game to me. Pritchard did hit the post with a decent free kick... nowt else, runs around ineffectual and does not head the ball, or challenge in the air. 4 or 5 for me.

12. Oliver's Army

Where was Arby tonight? Hopefully not an injury setback, was expecting him to play.

13. Oliver's Army

Fair play to him for taking the ball off Onien for that freekick. I didn't want to see another one whistle over the bar from Onien.

14. Oliver's Army

RTB likes this.
  15. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

here's something that just popped into my head...

maybe something he has been told to stop or maybe a sign he was not too happy but can anyone tell me the last time gooch put a full game in and was not seen gesticulating at anyone or having a go at the ref?

he honestly just seemed to be going through the motions, early yellow may have calmed him down but usually makes no difference to his being in the refs face a lot.

Blond Bombshell and Whittylad like this.
  16. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

He is, but I saw tonight why Johnson doesn't trust him. He's fine in the air, but poor in possession. Gave the ball away a few times and doesn't look all that comfortable with the ball at his feet. Makes the decision to give him a new contract in the summer all the more baffling.....

17. TopCat_

Played the full 90 on Sunday. No chance he was playing today as a result

Oliver's Army likes this.
  18. TopCat_

:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Forgot about the 23s game. :emoticon-0148-yes:

20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Goes to show how different people see things so differently. Dajaku doesn’t look like much so far to me. A lot like Jones was. We’ll see I suppose. Few of my mates who I’ve text after the game were impressed with Pritchard later in the game. Ask say, eye of the beholder

Oliver's Army likes this.