1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Charlton Athletic – Saturday 23rd October 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 21, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Oct 23, 2021.
  1. Home win

91.0%
  2. Away win

3.8%
  3. Draw

5.1%
  1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

? As it’s an inbox message, we have zero access to it. PM is a PM. As in private. If you want to forward it to me the. I’ll go to the supers. It’s all well and good saying “someone sent me this” but pm remains private

2. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Why? My guess is he’s pretty good at them in training. Otherwise there’s no reason to have him on them. It astounds me that people have said “onien shouldn’t take free kicks as he’s rubbish at them” he’s taken one attacking one and caught the end of the wall. If McGeady takes it and hits the wall it’s unlucky. Onien hits the wall it’s rubbish

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

He took two in the previous game and wasted them both.

4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

But that’s not my point. Regardless he’s obviously capable in training unless everyone who thinks that he just said “I’m taking this”.

It’s pointless getting at him for him taking a poor free kick. It’s obviously something they’ve been happy with. Not o’nien’s fault

5. clockstander

Not "getting at him" at all he is one of my favourite players as a matter of fact as I've said many times on this site, we do seem to keep misunderstanding one another. My point on O/9 not taking free kicks is based on the evidence (and I cant remember him taking a good one has he ever scored from one ) ? , I have no idea about his performances in training, which seems to be the basis of your spurious argument. <ok>

6. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

75th min on the full 90 for anyone wanting to see it. Angle is weird, almost looks like it could have hit him in the face, however theres no reaction from the defender to say its hit him in the face, the hands don't come up afterwards or anything. Its most likely come off his upper arm.

Still, it could have been as blatant as you like and there was no way in hell that ref was giving it. One of those who was happy to start ignoring decisions because he was getting a bit stick.

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

For what its worth, and that's very little Keith Hackett retired Premiership Referee says it was an obvious penalty for deliberate hand ball owing to how far his hand was away from his body, an unnatural action according to Hackett.
    He also says the Referee was in the wrong position and didn't have the correct view and he said it was a piece of poor refereeing all round.
    Can we have Mr Hackett for our next match please.

steesafc likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Sorry mate. I was more xx aiming that at those who do. I agree he shouldn’t be taking them imo. But if the cracks them in top corner in training then so be it. Some on Twitter are slating him because he didn’t let someone else take it. They were more the ones I was getting at. Apologies

clockstander likes this.
  9. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Was just chatting with a golfing mate and Hartlepool supporter.

Apparently the referee on Saturday had been demoted before and had a fight with a player on the pitch. I.e. he had form for being crap!

The Berk likes this.
  10. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Squared up to an Ipswich player last year....
    Screenshot_20211026_153711.jpg

11. clockstander

The well rehearsed fiasco at the start warned of what was ahead, the referee was as responsible as Charlton for what followed, he should never referee another game, certainly not one of ours, it might be pure co-incidence but they have got even worse since that far off apology.

steesafc likes this.
  12. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

I sit in the NE corner and it looked as blatant as they come from there. No surprise though, as others have said he'd already made his mind up we were getting nothing long before that.

Quite whether it was genuine cheating or sheer incompetence I can't decide.