1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Fleetwood Town - Tuesday 23rd February - KO 19:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 21, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Feb 23, 2021.
  1. Home win

89.6%
  2. Away win

1.3%
  3. Draw

9.1%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Fleetwood Town at the Stadium of Light in the SkyBet League One.
    SAFCvFTFC.GIF

Last time out Sunderland beat Burton and Fleetwood drew with Charlton.
    Sunderland completed what was a wonderful week for the club with a comprehensive 3-0 win at Burton having already secured a Wembley final and confirmed Kyril Louis-Dreyfus as the new Chairman and Major Shareholder.
    Black Cats striker Charlie Wyke will be looking to add to his 23 goals in all competitions. Bailey Wright is expected to be out for a minimum of two weeks, after missing the game on Saturday. Dion Sanderson looked very impressive in the centre of the defence alongside Luke O’Nien and Connor McLaughlin. Josh Scowen came on from the bench against Burton and is expected to start.
    Simon Grayson makes a first return to the stadium of Light with his latest club, Fleetwood Town. The Cod army have won one, lost one and drawn two since Grayson took charge.
    KLD:
    “I am proud to become a custodian of this esteemed institution, but I also recognise the significant responsibility that comes with it”
    “I am confident that together we can weather the present storm and put solid foundations in place to bring sustainable and long-term success to the club.”
    Lee Johnson:
    "Callum was out because of the concussion protocols, so that was a bit frustrating that one. You’ve got to do the right thing by the player, and the doctors have a lot of power now. Rightly so.”
    “In terms of Bailey Wright, he’s going to be out for two or three weeks with a small tear to a part of his calf.”
    “The boy's attitude has been great. If there had been any dissent in asking players to play in different positions, we wouldn’t have been able to do it.”
    “I think they’ve enjoyed it. They rolled their sleeves up in a really difficult game, on a difficult pitch, against a side that are fighting for their lives. It was really good work today as a whole.”
    “Everybody can go home and enjoy their day off tomorrow, but come Monday we’ll be back to it because we’ve got a big game on Tuesday."
    “I was worried about this one, to be honest. They're in good form and we had to change the shape. On the ball, it's a great shape and I thought we caused them problems throughout the first half with our footballing ability and the interplay we had between the front players.”
    “Lynden is a pocket dynamo and with Aiden O'Brien making those sort of out to in runs, Goochy was the perfect player for the role. Both him and Luke O'Nien have been absolutely fantastic because we've had to use them in three or four positions.”
    “I'm very happy with those two, but I'm very happy with everyone. It was a very professional performance.”

Simon Grayson:
    "I’m really pleased but disappointed at the same time. I’m really pleased with the performance, how we competed, how we played and the football we played, the number of chances we created and how we responded after going a goal down. We’re disappointed that we haven’t won the game because of those chances, the possession we had – the domination we had."
    “I’m sure that Lee will be delighted that they got a point. It was a tough game because of the conditions. Are our players more used to it? Probably a little more if I’m being honest, but I do believe we played it better.”
    “The first half we asked the questions and were playing against the wind, but when we had the wind and we couldn’t have played wide – because it was going to run away. So we played between the lines and started dropping into strikers and we played some really good stuff.”

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    JAMES BELL
    Assistant Referees: Christopher Ward and Ivan Stankovic
    Fourth Official: Carl Boyeson

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge, McLaughlin, O’Nien, Sanderson, McFadzean, Scowen, Power, Gooch, McGeady, Wyke, O’Brien.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Matthews, Vokins, Neil, Winchester, Jones, Maguire, Diamond.
    Injured: Xhemajli, Kimpioka, Hume, Stewart, Flanagan, Willis, Wright.

Fleetwood Town:
    Cairns, Hill, Connolly, Holgate, Donacien, Duffy, Rossiter, Batty, Andrew, Madden, Vassell.
    Subs: Coleman, Burns, Camps, Morris, Saunders, Biggins, Rydel.
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Home
    4/5 Away 7/2 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    Well - what a week and to cap it all, the Mags got beat.
    We are just getting better and better so hold onto your seats and enjoy the ride.

I am going for a 3-0 home win
    Live stream £10
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

**** Note **** Sunderland AFC have announced an upgrade to the SAFSEE service.
    The enhanced production will start on Tuesday evening when the Lads host Fleetwood Town at the Stadium of Light, with Kyril Louis-Dreyfus’ first interview airing during the half-time show.
    A selection of other improvements have also been added to the service, including:
    • Four-camera coverage of all home fixtures
    • A live pre-match and post-match show
    • Pre-match and post-match interviews with players and staff
    • Exclusive content and behind-the-scenes access
    New features will continue to be added throughout the remainder of the campaign, as part of the club’s ongoing commitment to fans supporting the Lads from home.

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: RTB

Every game from now on is vital...we have 3 teams, Accrington, Oxford and Doncaster who all need to lose (less games than us)

We already have a posts about the team, with opinions different about say Gooch, O'Brien, who is fit.

Fleetwood are playing well and we will have to be on top of our game to beat them 4 cameras to stream!

3. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Just gotta win again. And I fancy a 3-1.

Bart

Oliver's Army and RTB like this.
  4. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Same again lads. Great thread sgain RTB, and wtf is Grayson gannin on about?

I'll have 3 helpings of cod n chips please, mushy peas on the side.

Nig, Oliver's Army and RTB like this.
  5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I don't think he knows either <laugh>

6. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual. We are on a roll now, I'm going for 3-0. Grayson can stick his flip chart up his arse and jog on back to Fleetwood. Ha'way the lads. Keep the magic carpet, Dreyfus dreamliner and everything else (including the red flag) Flying high, up in the sky. <party><party><party>

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Keep Madden quiet and were half way there.
    Come out with a fast start like Saturday and batter them.
    (See what I did there).

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Christ forgot Grayson was their manager, about time we gave this lot a hiding tbh.

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I find it hard to be scared about playing a Grayson team, he's a nice bloke but that's about it. Another win for us I think.

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB...

my only problem is do i go for the stream (not bothered for the past 3) or leave it to keep the run going?

trouble with this league is they are all well fired up to play the 'mighty sunderland' and grayson has a little extra motivation just as barton did...once they learn that we really are just another league one team (just with better 'bits') we might find teams come along to enjoy the game rather than all the ****housery and ****-refery going on.

Robertson, Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.

11. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Think Grayson’s motivation is different to Barton. Barton was because he loved us a d existed only in football to have a go at Sunderland, Grayson will simply be looking fir 3 points at the SoL. Something he certainly struggled for in the past!!

Nig, RTB, Smug in Boots and 1 other person like this.
  12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Great thread but just one error.

Due to Brexit, Fleetwood can no longer be called the Cod Army ...

... they're now to be called the Restricted Quota Army and comedy cod heads no longer available in the club shop.

Robertson, Gil T Azell, RTB and 2 others like this.
  13. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

This. Same as Burton, time to overcome this bogey team thing

Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  14. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual marra, 2-0 to the lad's...

Ha’way the Lads

Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  15. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

Be tough against these, they have been drawing a few games recently and don't concede many, just 4 in their last 6 games and just two more than we have all season. Mind they haven't been scoring many either (also 4 in the last 6) so if we get at them and get a goal or two in the first half we should win so I've predicted a draw just like I did the last two league games.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    safc-noggieland, RTB and Wolfy like this.
  16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Another great thread RTB, I like McGeady in that free role you have given him, he is on fire atm and he is not the only one, the resurgence of Power in mid field was a complete surprise, and that wing back role for Gooch is another positive, and at last the bench is being used with effect, bus parkers beware. OaU

17. Smug in Boots

Good points that illustrate what Johnson's trying to do. The only way he can see if something works is to take a risk in actual games. If, as with various players/systems/tactics, it needs changing he's not scared to do it. You can tell he's trying to figure out how O'Nien, O'Brien, Gooch, etc are best used and, of course, there's home or away games to consider, plus the style of the opposition.

We'll just have to be patient and not throw our arms in the air at every team sheet ....

18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Give over. <laugh>

19. Smug in Boots

What was I thinking <doh>

Gil T Azell and clockstander like this.
  20. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

it was like ToysRUs on here after the team was announced on Saturday. we're a fickle lot