1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Gillingham - Saturday 7th March - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Mar 4, 2020.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Mar 7, 2020.
  1. Home win

79.3%
  2. Away win

1.7%
  3. Draw

19.0%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland v Gillingham – Skybet League One
    SAFCvGFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland lost at Coventry and Gillingham lost to Wimbledon.
    Sunderland will be looking to bounce back after the defeat to League leaders Coventry City.
    The Black Cats could make a few changes to the starting eleven, which has remained virtually unchanged during the last few months despite the additional resources who joined during the transfer window.
    The Gills have shown that they are no push overs, and have beaten Sunderland twice this season. Captain Max Ehmer is a doubt after going off injured at the weekend.
    Phil Parkinson:
    “It looks like it was the right decision. I’m not sure how they came to it, but Max has had a shot and it’s hit Luke on the heel and deflected past the 'keeper.”
    “He’s in an offside position, so we can’t complain about the call.”
    “It was obviously a big game, a top-of-the-table clash live on TV, but I just felt that it was a bit frantic. We made changes and got two very attacking players in wing-back positions with Lafferty and Wyke up top, and we probably lost a bit of cohesion in our play then, but we had to have a go in the last ten or 15 minutes to try to get back into it. We didn’t quite do that, although the effort and commitment from the boys couldn’t be faulted."
    “It was a tight game, and unfortunately we’ve come out the wrong side of it.”
    "Gillingham will come here and be physical. We have got to stretch the pitch and really try to move the ball quickly. We have got to be ready from the off, but calm enough to make the right decisions."
    Steve Evans:
    “I think his shoulder just popped out, Max (Ehmer) has had this problem for a couple of years. Sometimes he just pops it back in and it settles down and he’s fine after a few days."
    “We have to go to Sunderland and get a positive result. We never said that we had to win every game, but it’s a sucker punch because this is a game that we expected to win.”
    "We have to use this, the hurt you get, take the criticism that comes despite the fact that it’s 15 unbeaten. We didn’t do enough today, we were second best all over the pitch.”
    “I’m not Joey Barton, who’s got a big connection with Newcastle and wants to wind up Sunderland supporters."
    “Everything about Sunderland Football Club is fantastic. The stadium, the training ground, the owners, the professionalism, the fan base is incredible."
    Form.GIF
    Prutton predicts: meh
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    ANTONY COGGINS
    Assistant Referees: Joe Simpson and Danny Gratton
    Fourth Official: Matthew Dicicco

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    McLaughlin, O’Nien, Flanagan, Ozturk, Willis, Hume, Power, Dobson, Semenyo, Maguire, Lafferty.
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Burge, McLaughlin, Scowen, Lynch, Grigg, Gooch, Wyke.
    Injured: Embleton, Wright

Gillingham: Bonham, Fuller, Ehmer, Tucker, Ogilvie, Jones, O'Keefe, O'Connor, Lee, Hanlan, Akinde
    Subs: Willock, Mandron, Roberts, Charles-Cook, Pringle, Graham, Walsh
    Injured: TBC

Betting Odds:
    Home
    4/5 Away 10/3 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    Another important game and one that we really need to win, especially after the last two results. All is not lost, but getting back on a winning run is important. The Gills have been a bit of a thorn in our side this season, but I think we will bounce back.
    My guess is a 2-0 win.

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

We'll change things a little bit, shake off the poor last couple of results and give Gillingham a thumping. 3-0, Maguire, Semenyo, O'Nien

clockstander, RTB and Gil T Azell like this.
  3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

7-0. Someone is going to be hammered by us soon and we may just find this free scoring winning team this weekend with a couple of tweaks.

4. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Coming across all Victor Meldrew here, but it seems to me that when it comes to the top teams, we seem unable to compete.

RTB and Sunderpitt like this.
  5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the OP...

After losing and drawing against two rivals, we are not in so good a position as hoped..

Still when there are still games to play, there is some hope. Putting it frankly we have to win every game and others lose some.

We have to find the goal scoring touch, our defence is still good we have only let in 1 goal (in the opening minutes) in the past two important games, but have struggled to score ourselves.

6. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

I reckon we'll win 1-0 in a closely fought match. Max to get the winner again. His goals come in clusters...I think

HTL

RTB likes this.
  7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

:eek: dont say that, i hinted at 7 against Fleetwood :eek: <whistle>

Hope your right like ;)
    10 games is it to go ?

The count down is on :emoticon-0160-movie:emoticon-0170-ninja

Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  8. HeatonMackem

HeatonMackem Well-Known Member

The Metro line is closed all weekend between Heworth and Brockley Whins. They have replacement buses. :emoticon-0114-dull:

RTB and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Must win will win.

Smug in Boots and RTB like this.
  10. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

2-0, McGuire and Ozturk

RTB likes this.

11. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

4-1 and the season is back on track. Semenyo, Lafferty and John all to start. Lafferty, Power, Flanno and Goooooch with the goals. And a red card for their manager because he is a bellend.

RTB likes this.
  12. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Where the f*ck did they get that name Brockley Whins (previously Felgate I think). ffs the Yanks have Los Angeles, Santa Monica, San Francisco etc all decent sounding. We have Brockley effing Whins.

HeatonMackem likes this.
  13. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

It’s deffo a Must Win game this one!!

3-0 to The Lads.

Bart

RTB and Gil T Azell like this.
  14. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Gillingham have lost one game this year.
    I'm expecting a bore draw.
    Unless maybe Parky freshens the team.
    He might as well throw in some new blood.
    The old blood is a bit stale.

smithy in nl and RTB like this.
  15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Badgers Bushes sounds worse <laugh>

Gil T Azell likes this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Parky's Presser:
    please log in to view this image

"The aim now is by next Saturday to get right in contention for the top two."
    " We have got a big week of three games in seven days so everybody in our squad has got to be ready. "
    "There are players knocking on the door so yes, there is a possibly of changing things up."
    "Due to the coronavirus, the lads will not be allowed to go abroad when we have our break later this month."
    "Gillingham are a very hard team to beat. We have got to make sure the pitch is as big as it can be and play quickly to come away with the victory."
    "Elliot Embleton is back involved in training. If we can get him through next week then he will be close to contention."

17. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

Disagree mate.Dont think it's a must win but definetly I hope we ****ing do! There will still be 27 ish points to play for, cov will hit a bad patch, Fleetwood's run will not continue. Rotherham are stalling a bit. I reckon must win is an exageration

smithy in nl and Smug in Boots like this.
  18. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Tight home win. Tings need changing but cannot think what I'd do. Tempted to rest Hume, Wyke & Goochie. Add Scowen to the middle, Semenyo on the left and Maguire alongside Lafferty up top.

****knows, eh

19. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Wheels have come off, 1-1 as gills are physical and no pushovers.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We've had the odd flat tyre but TBF, in our last six games, we've conceded two goals, won four and only lost to the top team.

Rotherham iirc, in the last month, have gone from being eleven points ahead of us to four points ahead. They've won one of the last four and are conceding more than one goal a game while we've conceded two in our last six.

If our wheels have come off they've driven off a cliff.

It's time to pump up the tyres, set the satnav for the Championship and put our foot to the floor.

3-0 to Sunderland and right back on track ...

... Flanagan and two from Maguire to put us in the driving seat.

Ozzymac, master-simpson, Nig and 8 others like this.