1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland Vs Everton Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Nov 7, 2014.

1. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

true. If you play three in the middle one needs to be box to box, one needs to be defensive, and one needs to attack. hoping rodwell will come into form

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Nail on the head. What category of those three would you put Seb in? I'm not too sure and that's the problem. Though to his credit he was our most creative player today imo.

3. JammySAFC

well catts is defensive, no doubt. Seb would have to be box to box. Rodwell can get forward, but not enough, putting it down to game time currently, but Gomez has been playing well, so keep him in as far as im concerned

4. Brian Storm

But his nature is to stop short of the box to offer support, Rodwell's goal is prime example of where a box to box play needs to put himself, where as Seb likes to offer support off center of the edge of the box, probably to playing to his strength of being able to deliver a quality ball back into the box, but they tend to be less frequent these days. In this system with these players we're really lacking creativity down the middle. Can't until Giacc and Alvarez come back

Can't wait to see Seb's free kick. Been a while. It was the other end of the pitch so haven't seen it properly yet.

5. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some reassuring and positives comments on the match today. This not long after an 8-0 thrashing.

Good to hear some positives on Bridcutt for a changer as well.

And Seb continues to prove me wrong again and again. No complaints from me though. Well done Seb.

Some tough games coming up after the international break, but with the injured coming back, and Catts back as well, there are some real grounds for encouragement.

Eight games to go to the end of the year. If we can get around 10 points from those games, we can look to push on for the second half of the season with real confidence.

6. JammySAFC

That's something than can be taught though, or asked of him to move into certain areas, just depends on what poyet wants

Frustrates me when there are a ton of players around the box mind and none are in it. What's the point.

The sooner we have a full squad again the better, it's a cliche but they'd all be like new signings at this rate.

7. Brian Storm

That's my frustration entirely marra.

8. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

i thought you stayed pretty calm today marra

not <laugh>

9. Brian Storm

My voice is ****ed mate. All at the ref though. :p

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I've only seen 2-3 of your games this season but Seb looks like a vast improvement on the signpost he was at times last season. Not just his goal, he is a tidy player when he's on form though not vastly creative. If only AJ was consistent you would be a totally different prospect (we had that with Ben Arfa, he had a long purple patch a couple of years back and it turned a handful of draws into wins). I think both of us will end up around where we are now - no shame in that.

11. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

Seb has been close to our best player these last few games. People want a more obvious 'strength' or type of midfielder at his expense but I wouldn't dream of dropping him ATM.

Catts is great but one dimensional, Gomez seems to amble but has a killer pass in him, Seb doesn't do anything brilliantly, but is more rounded than both.

If Rod does force his way in, it won't be for Seb, but for Gomez.

12. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

hahaahahahaha

agreed i think

quandry

13. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

View Post
    Seb has been close to our best player these last few games. People want a more obvious 'strength' or type of midfielder at his expense but I wouldn't dream of dropping him ATM.

Catts is great but one dimensional, Gomez seems to amble but has a killer pass in him, Seb doesn't do anything brilliantly, but is more rounded than both.

If Rod does force his way in, it won't be for Seb, but for Gomez.
    Yeh that's about right. <bubbly>

14. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I thought he was MOTM personally. He never stopped running yesterday and not the usual "huffing and puffing" type. Covered every blade and passing was good. Excellent free-kick as well.

15. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

I agree Marcus, he was MOTM for me also <ok>

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Collymore said "too many draws SUnderland - you need to win more games and Sunderland fans would rather win one and lose 2 than draw 3"

Was interesting he said that as our last 6 have seen 2 draws, 2 wins and 2 losses so, Stan, check your facts before spouting your ****e!

He's right - we had too many draws at the start of the season - but losing breeds losing and confidence was much better from drawing games that losing them (obviously). Personally - I'm quite happy, other than one game, with the way our season has gone so far. We NEVER used to get anything from Man U, Spurs or Everton and we've taken a point from all of them.

Need to beat Leicester in a fortnight then hope Costa isn;t fit for the game at the SOL just after that!!

17. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

I think we are 6 points better off compared to last season at this stage and like marcus said take off the Southampton abomination and im fairly content with our start.

Why is it though that our home fixtures are always much worse than anyone else's? The mags got a home banker against Leicester and it's kick started there season.

Weve had
    Man United
    Spurs (who were in decent form at the time)
    Arsenal
    Everton

With Swansea and Stoke thrown in the mix with Chelsea up next. 7 teams all who'll be top 10.

How come we never we play a Leicester or Burneley at home early on at home to get a nice confidence building win. We have Leicester next which means we'll have played all 3 promoted teams but all away from home. Is this a coincidence?

18. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

We have Man City at home after Chelsea as well! I mentioned this at the start of the season. It happened as well last season but to a much worse scale. Totally unbalanced fixture list. I'm happy with the number of points we have at the moment though. Pick up a few more cheeky points between now and xmas, get the majority of our injured players back too. We wont be sitting too badly! However I am also prepared for a frying pan being firmly planted to the face cos just when I start feeling optimistic we always seem to be hit by a confidence sapping incident!

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Mason should have sent off Gomez for his dive, as it was his second bookable offence, he gave the decision and then bottled carding him, so it was you lot that were lucky, you charmer.

Wickham should also have gone for the foul for the pen, but don't let little things like facts get in the way.

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

What about your fans spitting over the top onto families below? For the second season running? After trying to start fights in bars in the city last season too?

Your lads were sound until about the last 3 years.