1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland Vs Swansea City.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Aug 21, 2015.

?

Outcome

Poll closed Aug 22, 2015.
  1. Sunderland

26.2%
  2. Swansea

57.1%
  3. Draw

16.7%
  1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Sunderland take on Swansea City at the Stadium of Light this weekend after a disastrous start to the season for the Black Cat's while Swansea will be more than satisfied with the 4 points from 6 they've accumulated so far.

7 goals conceded in just 2 games with 3 scored at the other end makes Sunderland a great side to watch for the neutral with goal action and comedy defending being a staple of the entertainment, but for the Sunderland faithful it's just another game to dread while we scurry to strengthen going into the final week of the summer transfer window.

Following last Saturday's home defeat to newly promoted Norwich, manager Dick Advocaat called a 'crisis' meeting with his squad in order to iron out their problems and try to find a solution. The Black Cats will be praying for the that meeting to yield fruit.

Swansea fans will be delighted with their start, opening the season with an away point at champions Chelsea followed by a convincing victory of our rivals Newcastle. The Swans will be rubbing their wings together and burying their bills between the back of their shoulders at the prospect of playing Sunderland, and no doubt their fans will be expecting a victory, given the ease Sunderland have been turned over so far.

Match Appointments
    Referee:
    Neil Swarbrick
    Assistants: D Bryan & M Scholes
    Fourth Official: A Taylor
    Sunderland Team News
    Younes Kaboul has just joined Adam Johnson on the sidelines, while Jordi Gomez is still recovering from his knee Injury. The Swans game could come too soon for him. Dick will have a couple of decisions to work with like whether to install John O'Shea and Duncan Watmore, who scored on his Premier League debut last weekend. Any potential signing would unfortunately miss the deadline to play a part.​

Swansea City Team News
    Swansea have no new injury concerns, however Swans boss Gary Monk could toy with the idea of recalling ex Cat Ki Sung-Yueng to the line who's been building his fitness.​

Last 10 league meetings
    2014/2015
    Sat 07 Feb: Swansea City 1 - 1 Sunderland​
    Sat 27 Sep: Sunderland 0 - 0 Swansea City​
    2013/2014
    Sun 11 May: Sunderland 1 - 3 Swansea City​
    Sat 19 Oct: Swansea City 4 - 0 Sunderland​
    2012/2013
    Tue 29 Jan: Sunderland 0 - 0 Swansea City​
    Sat 01 Sep: Swansea City 2 - 2 Sunderland​
    2011/2012
    Sat 21 Jan: Sunderland 2 - 0 Swansea City​
    Sat 27 Aug: Swansea City 0 - 0 Sunderland​
    1982/1983
    Sat 19 Mar: Sunderland 1 - 1 Swansea City​
    Sat 06 Nov: Swansea City 3 - 0 Sunderland​

Form

Sunderland

Sat 15 Aug 2015
    Sunderland 1 - 3 Norwich
    Sat 8 Aug 2015
    Leicester 4 - 2 Sunderland

Swansea

Sat 15 Aug 2015
    Swansea 2 - 0 Newcastle
    Sat 8 Aug 2015
    Chelsea 2 - 2 Swansea
    Spotlight.​
    YANN M'VILA​
    In amongst last weekend's horror show a new signing by the name of Yann M'Vila made his debut, though looking a little out of shape he still completed 90 minutes in style as he clocked up a very very impressive 96% pass accuracy. The Black Cats should be looking to get the ball to him as well as finding space to receive it.​

Last Corresponding Fixture

Opta Stats & Facts

Head-to-head
    • Swansea have lost just one of their 12 top-flight games against Sunderland.​
    • The Swans are unbeaten in their last six games against the Black Cats, although four of those were drawn.​

Sunderland
    • The Black Cats have conceded 12 times in their last six Premier League home games.​
    • They are winless in the last 17 Premier League games in which they conceded the opening goal (D3, L14).​
    • The last top-flight match in which they conceded first but recovered to win was away to Chelsea in April 2014.​
    • The last time they did so on home turf was against Blackburn in December 2011.​

Swansea City
    • The Swans have attempted 36 shots in their opening two games (including blocked efforts), registering 16 attempts on target.​
    • Bafetimbi Gomis has netted seven times in eight league games, while Andre Ayew has five goals in his last seven appearances (two in two for Swansea, three in five for Marseille).​
    • Jonjo Shelvey has created nine goal scoring chances this season, the joint-highest figure in the top flight (along with Mesut Ozil and Santi Cazorla).​
    • Jefferson Montero has attempted 19 dribbles so far this term, more than any other player in the Premier League​

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Great stuff as always funky. Interesting stat on M'Vila mind on his passing in a crap team!

3. Brian Storm

Exceptional init. Exactly what we need in a DM, if we can get him as mobile in closing down as Catts usually is we've got some player on our hands.

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this one now..I was on night shift last week so couldn't even have a pint...I will be making up for it before the game tomorrow though..:emoticon-0167-beer:

Smug in Boots likes this.
  5. Brian Storm

Hope to be in the railway for around Mid Day fella. I owe you a pint for being a top bro!

MrRAWhite likes this.
  6. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Haway the lads!!

Mvilla should be sharper this game aswel, oshea back in and maybe Mathews for jones stay solid at the back and let mvilla work his magic! ;)

7. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

I think Swansea will come after us, if we are negative and scared we could get mauled. I'm hoping to see a fired up Sunderland, players happy to keep the ball and try and use it but more importantly players off the ball making runs and wanting the ball. No hiding please. Hoping watmore starts as he is a player who will be positive.

8. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Back to basics, the order of the day for DA I'd imagine.

Big game

Good Luck lads, we'll mop up with your neighbours in the mean time.

9. MrRAWhite

have you got my mobile? If not I will send you a private message..if yes then give me a ring when you are getting near..

10. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

Great line Bri:

"7 goals conceded in just 2 games with 3 scored at the other end makes Sunderland a great side to watch for the neutral with goal action and comedy defending being a staple of the entertainment"

Pants

Mathews Coates O'Shea PVA

M'Villa Catts

Watmore Larsson Lens

Fletcher

Wide midfielders have to provide more support to the full backs and the middle 3 have to break down Swans passing as soon as they get over the half way line and try to hit them on the break. That Montero could run riot if he maintains his early form.

Would like to see Giacc in behind Fletch but can't see him playing - suspect he'll be gone before the end of next week :-{ Just hasn't happened for the lad.

Brian Storm likes this.

11. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Kaboul is out injured so O'Shea will come in. Dick made a statement today about 'Defoe will play where I tell him to' which suggests to me he'll start on the right of a front 3.

-----------Pantillimon-----------
    Matthews--Coates--Oshea--Jones------Larsson-Mvila-Catts--------
    ----Defoe---Fletcher------Lens--

12. Brian Storm

Yeah I've got mate. Will give you a bell.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  13. Brian Storm

14. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

I am indeed going tomorrow (I've got a car full otherwise I'd have given you a knock)!

As for last week, I was still in the air flying home marra... Hence why I looked f*cked when I bumped into you on Sunday a'noon !!!

15. Brian Storm

It's ok mate, got cheap train tickets. You heading for the fan zone before the game? Gonna have one in their before going in.

16. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

I've got my nephews marra... So it'll be the MaccyD zone followed by the ClubShop zone ... Finishing with the Burger/HotDog van zone!!!
    Kerrrr-Ching £££££££££££££££££

17. Brian Storm

Don't think I dare go and look at the away kit

18. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

Well done funky.
    Excellent as always, hope all going have a great day with big smiley faces at full time.

Brian Storm likes this.
  19. MrRAWhite

I'm thinking of buying it so you might see it anyway..<laugh>

20. Brian Storm

<laugh> Cheers for the heads up, I'll bring my sun glasses.