1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Super league ****housery back

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Captainpancakes, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Exactly. They want their product so they should pay up tops for it.

I have no issues with that.

I suppose the only danger is a team may spunk all that money on silly signings (Forrest) and then lose every game and the club is ****ed.

2. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

So by the same logic all sky subscribers should pay annually for their subscription as well? It all feeds through. Now yes, BSkyB should be able to afford it but there's an awful lot of money coming in from them.

The answers should actually be to take money out of the game. The ridiculous salaries being paid are killing competition by splitting the haves and have nots (much like Tory economic policy). These wages will also kill clubs. This idea has to come with a salary cap though or you run into the same divergence problems

3. Prince Isak (GG)

Nope your completely wrong. We are the purchase people buying a product sold by sky. That product is only there if there is a market. The market wants to watch the best quality football on offer.

Sky this have to provide this. They have to buy the product to sell onto the consumer. This is a supply and demand situation.

Thus for them to have a top quality product to sell. They have to pay up front for the clubs to have the product to sell.

When you go to a restaurant and buy a good steak. That’s because that restaurant has invested heavily on the produce.

Captainpancakes likes this.
  4. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

The only problem though with that example is that you don’t pay until afterwards. You don’t pay before you have your meal. And you don’t pay before the restaurant has bought and cooked the steak.

:)

5. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

I have to at the 'all you can eat' buffet.

Flash and Albert's Chip Shop like this.
  6. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

Ah but my point was that if Sky don't have the cash in hand as their money hasn't come from the monthly subscription payments then they can't pay for the rights up front.

I do think that the world would be better without payment plans & PCP schemes etc. Pay what you can afford and don't fall into debt

7. Hamish McMagdad

Hamish McMagdad cult leader

Which in turn means if they can't do it they don't get exclusive rights and someone else gets them - Win - Win.

The way forward is for the PL and others to just bin off sky and BT and Amazon and the rest.

Allow clubs to set up their own media channels and people can subscribe to their own clubs. This would also lessen Piracy I think as fans would be happier paying £20 a month to watch their own teams every single game worldwide than paying the ridiculous amounts sky charge.

It also gives clubs more say on when games are played and stops Sky from their usual stupidity of making us play Southampton/Brighton etc on bank holidays, Friday nights and Monday nights.

It stops this cluster **** of the big 4 and Arsenal and Spurs ganging up and trying to bully the rest of the league to try and keep the tv money as that will then depend on them.

It makes it a sport again and about the glory of trying to win silverware than simply trying to get top 4.

AND LAST BUT NO MEANS LEAST, FIFA NEED TO MAKE PLAYERS PAY THEIR OWN ****ING AGENTS THAN THE CLUBS.

This happens and the power then falls back to the clubs who are in turn answerable to their fans, stops arseholes like Mike Ashley getting involved with clubs for the wrong reasons, Will then knock on and bring transfer fees and wages more into line with what clubs have to spend and allows players to start making decisions based on sporting reasons rather than financial reasons.

TV companies and their bloody sponsors getting involved like NFL are killing the game.

It ran for over a century without these arseholes before and it will run again without them.

8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think money up front makes any difference. Most businesses have overdraft facilities etc (e.g our deal with HSBC) and use those.

There are two issues that need to be separated though:

1) ensuring the club is run on sound and sustainable footing

2) improving competition

FFP sort of helps the former but actually hinders the latter. FFP actually works against wealthy owners who want to fast-track their team to the top as its essentially saying the only way to do that its by increasing your revenue first. Owners can't just put money in any more and they are tightening up on the linked commercial sponsorship to ensure its not above market value.

I am sure there could be other loopholes that could be exploited. We could have Premium Season Tickets that cost £10k each but on purchase you get an automatic cash transfer from PIF to your personal account of difference between your current season ticket price and elevated one. There is an immediate cash injection of £300million if we get 30000 people to do it which would be accounted for as season tickets sales.

If you really want to improve competition then best way is through all teams having a salary cap, with it being higher for teams who gain European spots as they need bigger squads. Teams can decide whether they want to keep squad sizes smaller but pay the individuals more or vice versa.

9. Prince Isak (GG)

I agree with this.

The only thing a new owner can do now is put money in for capital projects. And crucially support cashflow.

Sometimes it’s not FFP that hinders a clubs progress but actual cashflow.

This is what I don’t get with our borrowing against our future income(if we do sign more players)?

PIF are maybe turning off the cash tap.

10. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

ever heard of McDonald’s?

Hamish McMagdad likes this.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Erm, no.

Is that something or someone you Hillbillies eat?

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I’m surprised you haven’t been barred?

13. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

They tried, but after I'd finished eating they couldn't fit me out through the doors, so I had to stay.

Hamish McMagdad and Flash like this.