1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Super, Super Saints v Sunderland, Sat 27 August, 3PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Exactly what I've been getting at. And LvG is not a bad comparison for the way we've been playing, honestly. Very methodical in midfield, with most of our play -- beyond a few throughballs early in the match that ended in offsides -- happening in front of the defense. Result is that we either have to try to work our way through a thicket of defenders (and that isn't aided by our lack of width) or take long shots.

And a lot of the slow play is by design; Puel stated a few days ago in the Echo that the slower-paced buildup and lack of pressing is geared toward managing matches and reducing the strain on the squad brought about by our sheer number of games this season.

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Sorry, jumped in after reading your stats about goals scored inside the area last year and assumed you were saying it's good to walk it into the area. My fault for not going far enough back in the convo <ok> :emoticon-0111-blush

3. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

We are 10th in shots taken inside the six yard box and 12th in shots taken in the penalty box. Considering the miniscule sample size of 3 games, I'm completely unconcerned about this in any way.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

5. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

That's how it looked to me. When I saw the team sheet I should have realised that half the team was missing. Only recognised 5 names. So it really was men against boys. Some of Sunderlands players were huge, not just tall but broad.

6. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Peul won't leave in the night.