1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Swallows

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by ISOE II, May 14, 2024.

1. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

Bit off topic, but I've seen only 2 mayfly this year, which is a bit worrying. We're usually in a cloud of them for a few days once they hatch, but nowt so far.

2. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

We follow Naturewatch, or whatever, advice, and don't cut our lawn in May... to encourage the flies/insects

Porterfield73 and Robertson like this.
  3. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

i would say there has been a distinct lack of birds in recent years, normally have dozens of blue tits and gold finch 'jigging' about as well as the regular visitors but i have noticed the lack of swallows/swifts around the estate (council have been round and boxed in under the eaves) plus the three farms have all been taken over and built on (loss of barns/stables/storage areas).

land is being taken over at a crazy rate atm, establishing new park areas will take years...hope it is not too late.

4. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Sometimes we just like to think the worst, the other day me and our lass were just saying not many honey bees about yet. We left the patio doors open while we had our dinner in the garden and when I went back in there was 12 on the windows trying to get out.

5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Good thread mate, anything that raises awareness in my book.

We're blessed with all the usual 'bird table' fellas and other resident species but haven't see the various 'fly catcher' birds. There were some big skeins of geese, coming over a month back, but too high to identify. We had a pair of eagles arrive the same day the first lambs went out of the lambing shed and I haven't seen number 72 for a few days.

6. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

Well I live in Roker and I’ve not seen any swallows or swifts this year most sad

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  7. ISOE II

ISOE II Well-Known Member

I did get a swallow on the rough ground over Temple Park this morning, but it was heading south so probably had enough of the summer already :-(

Swifts have only just arrived and then its gone cold again, so they can fly to where it is warm (hundreds of miles in a day) and then come back. They're amazing - the avian spitfires of the sky - and one of our last migrants (if not the last) so harbingers of the summer for me.

8. rooch 3

He was gorgeous <laugh>

Smug in Boots likes this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Mint ....

rooch 3 likes this.
  10. rooch 3

Our last house was called Swift cottage in Appleby, it had Swifts around the eaves, House Martins under the eaves and Swallows in the cow shed.
    One day I heard scratching in the upstairs bathroom ceiling, I had just fitted a fan and hadn’t got round to putting the pipe on. I took the fan out and a fledgling swift just turned his bum round and sat on the edge of the hole to let me pick him up, took him out side and off he went.

11. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Class that Rooch lad

ISOE II and rooch 3 like this.
  12. rooch 3

I honestly believe an animal knows if you are going to hurt it or not.

13. rooch 3

Another time on the farm a parakeet landed on my head in a field, believe it or not two budgies had done this previously. I took him home and put him I an old aviary in the garden, every time I went to feed it it would attack me and its beak could go right through your finger or thumb. After a couple of weeks I hoyed the little bastard, probably why the last person chucked it out.

14. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Been quite a few over West Boldon, a couple went into my garage but didn't stay, leaving my shed door open now to see if its a suitable nesting site for them. We've got dunnocks and blackbirds nesting in the hedge, blue tits have all fledged. Window baskets have the obligatory Wrens nesting there so the summer planting will have to wait, last year the twat magpies pulled all the chicks out of the nest. Feeders regularly get Chaffinch greenfinch goldfinch, Bullfinch although their nesting site has gone so haven't seen them this spring, Blue, Coal and great tits and occasionly a group of long tailed tits. Also get Greater Spotted Woodpecker visiting occassionaly, think theres a pair nesting in the cemetary.

Come to think of it I haven't seen any swallows while walking the dog which is concerning

15. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Bill Oddie reporting in from Rural Derbyshire.

Swifts everywhere, driving my stupid dog mad in the fields. House Martins here, messy sods. Swallows few and far between so far, but some have made it. Sat in my garden tonight and the bird song as always makes you feel great.

I have a pond and the general waking up of that is slow this year for me. Not much life in and around it yet. Fish slower than normal to be active, and even the gutsy ones slow to feed vigorously.

Hopefully all just a later season and not a sign of the times.

16. ISOE II

ISOE II Well-Known Member

Been scanning the skys for the Oystercatcher that often flies over calling. Turns out my resident Starling has learned to mimic its call!

17. Smug in Boots

I'm considering claiming the existence of the world's first nocturnal woodpecker ...

... the little bastard starts around 4am every morning and keeps it up until my alarm goes off at 8am.

I wouldn't mind but he's always helping himself to nuts from my red squirrel feeder <laugh>

18. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Last summer, about 5am I was woken by what sounded like ducks. Thought I was dreaming and rolled over. 2 mins later jumped up as the sound was mad. Looked out the window they must have been 5 in the pond and another 3 or 4 on the lawns making a racket. Ran out in my boxers and chased the buggers off, had some baby orfe in the pond at the time. Neighbours must have thought I was under attack <laugh>

19. nomad cat

nomad cat Well-Known Member

i was working in Powys last week and saw loads.....made my day

20. rooch 3

Move your head board away from the wall, the woodpecker will probably stop <laugh>