1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team and Formation talk!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SJD, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SJD

SJD Well-Known Member

Ok less than a week to go, thought it might be good to have a place to talk about the team and formation going forward. For the stoke game, this is how I would like to see us line up.

-------------------Ming
    -Johno------Agger--Toure-----Enr
    --------------------------------------
    ------------Lucas----Gerrard-------
    ----------------Coutinho------------
    ------Ibe------------------Downing
    ----------------Sturridge-----------

I think Downing gets in the team at the minute, which I think goes to show we are still a little short. Was thinking of maybe moving Sturridge a into the downing role and playing Borini up top.

As a few others have said Coutinho needs to be in the middle Ibe has had a great pre season and deserves his chance, he has moved ahead of sterling in the squad I think.

Been impressed with Toure so far looking to be a great buy. Also dare I say Gerrard is no longer an Automatic starter for me, and would be happy to see Alberto come in to that midfield three at some point in the game.

Thoughts guys

2. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

Think Allen will Definately play and Couthino will go out left with Aspas on the right. Still think its too soon for ibe and sterling would get the nod ( if a he's not locked up by then ) anyway. But would think Aspas will start. Downing might not be here so providing Sturridge is fit I would go

Mingolet

Johnson
    Toure
    Agger
    Enrique

Lucas
    Gerrard

Aspas
    Allen
    Courthino

Sturridge

Not necessarily the team I would pick but think that's what BR will go with.

3. Welshred

Welshred Member

Only change to that team I'd make is Aspas on the left instead of downing. I'd go with you on Ibe I think he was more impressive than Sterling in preseason.

Cant agree with you on Gerrard, he showed last season he's head and shoulders above the rest of our midfielders still. Nobody should be an automatic pick but Allen and Henderson are nowhere near challenging for his place based on their performances last season and preseason.

4. The IncREDibles

The IncREDibles Well-Known Member

Judging by pre-season, I'm worried that Allen is BR's first choice in the advanced midfield role. Hope this doesn't prove to be the case.

5. LucasPrime

LucasPrime Member

Yep and instead of going top of the league on Saturday, we will struggle againt stoke.

Team should be:

----------------Migs
    Johnson---Toure---Agger---Enrique
    -----------Gerrard----Lucas
    ---------------Coutinho
    Sterling/Ibe----Sturridge-----Aspas

However, sadly Downing and Allen will play.

6. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

It's pretty well known that BR will always favour Allen when possible. He's ok, but him, Gerrard and Lucas all want to fill the same pockets on the pitch - but Gerrard and Lucas are far superior in those spaces and more balanced. The third should be Coutinho. We should be building the team around him now.

Ibe has warranted being picked ahead of all the other wide players, but not sure he will be a starter so soon. I think it's too early for Studge to start at Stoke so Aspas will keep his spot for at least 45. I actually think Downing's done ok in pre-season. Put in some really good, dangerous passes across the box and beat his man a few times; I'd play him.

I'd like to see :
    Ibe, Aspas, Downing
    Coutinho, Lucas, Gerrard

But I expect to see:
    Coutinho, Aspas, Downing
    Allen, Lucas, Gerrard

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

-------------------Ming
    -Johno------Agger--Toure-----Enrique
    ------------------------------------
    ------------Lucas----Gerrard--------
    ----------------Coutinho------------
    ------Suarez------------------Aspas

I think that's our best team at the moment. As a defender the forward line up would terrify me.

8. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

Jones
    Flannagan
    Coates
    Skrtel
    Kelly
    Allen
    Alberto
    Henderson
    Downing
    Borini
    Ibe

9. This <ok>

10. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Gotta say Luv that would be my team, exactly. Just give Coutinho a free role to wonder and find holes, bit like the Gerrard role a few years back.

I'm impressed with Kolo, very good signing - not only he gives us that organisation at the back, he's vocal, and a winner. Plus those that were saying he's slow - sheeeit he was like Bolt when needed to track back at one point yesterday. I know if we get someone like Papa than he may be 3rd choice - but even then he's vital to the squad to teach our younger players like Wisodom, Sama, Kelly etc - positioning and such things during training sessions.

I would like Alberto and Ibe to be given plenty of chances too, we have a much greater squad depth this season which is very very NICE :)

EDIT: Didn't see this was about the Stoke game so obviously count Suarez out - Sturridge up front with Ibe on one of the flanks.

11. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

Im going on record to say we're really ****ed this year. We need some bloody firepower, I don't think we've ever looked so crap when compared to our rivals. Spurs apparently in for eriksen and anderweild as well, what a team they will have.

12. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

Keep Allen as far away from the team as possible. Not just because of how slow we become when he plays but because next to Gerrard he simply doesn't work often enough. Playing Henderson who'll cover every blade of grass allows Gerrard and Coutinho to maintain the best positions a lot more easily.

I'm really disappointed we look like we're going into the season with only Toure signed for the centre back positions. He's a decent player and was a good pick as Carras replacement but is nowhere near what we needed other than as cover.

Hopefully Ming will make us a bit more solid defending set pieces and high balls but on the flip side his distribution and ability to play keeper-sweeper (TM) is nowhere near what we had under Pepe.

Aspas and Alberto look ok. How will they adapt to a long hard Prem season? Hopefully better than last summers buys. Can't see them being the difference to make up a massive amount of points in the league but we'll see.

The rest of the squad we already know strengths and weaknesses.

As for tactics we have to play more like we did second half of last season than first. Great passing and movement....at pace and going forward quickly when possible. If we insist on going back to the thirty passes before crossing the half way line we will suffer. It's a tactic that doesn't suit the league we play in or any of our key players so please Rodgers make sure the way we set up for each game is so we can both soak up pressure better and attack at pace as we were the last few months of last season.

For me the keys to the season will be keeping Agger, Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho and Sturridge fit as often as possible. That's a massive ask but we simply do not have adequate cover for any of those vitally important positions. Yes getting Gnasher back would make a huge difference but he's now become "toxic" and can be discounted from discussions about our squad unless he proves otherwise.

A good start will be a big help :) COYR

13. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Back 5 speaks for itself.
    Mignolet
    Enrique
    Agger
    Toure
    Johnson

Gerrard, Lucas & Allen are guaranteed a start in midfield.

Then it really depends on Sturridge's fitness. If fit, can see it being Coutinho & Aspas either side of Sturridge.
    If he's not fit then Coutinho & Downing either side of Aspas.

14. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

----------------Mignolet---------------
    -----------Toure-------Agger-----------
    --Johnson---------------------Enrique--
    -----------------Lucas-----------------
    --------------------Gerrard-------------
    ----------Coutinho----------------------
    ------Aspas---------------Henderson----
    ----------------Sturridge----------------

This is a line up I really like the look of. It is well balance, has creativity, good on the ball, has lots of goal and assist getters and it transitions nicely from defense to midfield and midfield to attack.

I'd feel pretty confident with that.

Where Suarez would go in the long run depends on the game. I favour him in central role though.

Against a team that is more open and weaker defensively:

---------------Suarez-----------
    -----Aspas------------Coutinho
    -------------Sturridge----------

Against tight, stronger defenses that sit back and need teasing open:

----------Coutinho------------
    --Aspas------------Sterling--
    ---------Sturridge-------------

Against medium defenses lie ours and Arsenals:

------------Coutinho-----------
    ---Aspas-------------Suarez--
    -----------Sturridge-----------

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

If Suarez doesn't get selected I'd like to see this.......

-------------------Ming
    -Johno------Agger--Toure-----Enrique
    ------------------------------------
    ------------Lucas----Gerrard--------
    ----------------Alberto------------
    ------Aspas----------------Coutinho

16. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

I have not seen Alberto play yet. Do you think he is ready and strong enough to play that role in the PL right away?

17. Skylarker

I personally think he can. Put it this way it's him or Allen!

Shame Henderson seems to be out of everyone's team - He's just starting to be worth the money, and you know you'll always get 100% work rate from him.

18. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

He's in mine!

19. Skylarker

<ok>

You're the only one.

He's not even in mine! But I do believe he'll get a lot of games this season.

20. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

I think Henderson could be a big goal scorer. Like Lampard.