1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"That is horsemanship at it's finest"

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Feb 21, 2021.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

That was the reaction of Ruby Walsh after Hugh Morgan steered Young Dev to victory in the 3 mile Racing Again March 6th Handicap Chase at Navan despite breaking his right stirrup at the first fence. The attached YouTube clip is 14 minutes long but it is well worth watching to see not only the amazing performance by jockey and horse but also to hear the praise spoken by Ruby Walsh (himself a fine horseman of course) and the concluding interview with the unassuming, hard-working young man.

There have been some low-points in racing these last few days with too many horses taken from us and of course the poor light cast on the sport by the Sheikh Mohammed story. But this story just shows the ability of racing to illuminate and inspire. Great stuff.

redcgull, SaveTheHumans and Ron like this.
  2. Mick Malones Mauser

Mick Malones Mauser Active Member

Watched the race live..Had backed Se Mo Laoch (2nd)
    Kept wondering to myself why the jockey hadnt pulled up on Young Dev.(he lost the irons so early there didn't seem any point in continuing)
    Turning for home Se Mo Laoch was looking good and then I noticed Young Dev staying on..he couldn't could he ?

OddDog likes this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

As I said in the thread of the day I don't think he will be able to sit down tomorrow.

Ron likes this.
  4. OddDog

Staff Member

Hot bath before bedtime and hope for the best

5. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

It's a very mean typographical trick to make poor old Ruby look like the illiterate who doesn't know where to put apostrophes.​

6. OddDog

Staff Member

I think the Racing TV bod who posts on YouTube is to blame. I’m sure Ruby gets all his grammar and punctuation from father Ted (with a small f)