1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2013 World Snooker Championships from Sheffield | Snooker

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Apr 16, 2013.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The 2013 World Snooker Championships

From the Green Jacket of the Masters to the Masters of the Green Baize, this weekend see’s the start of the 2013 Snooker World Championships from Sheffield. The world’s top players will be fighting it out to see who will be crowned the World Champion of snooker come the final on the 6th of May. Will the defending champ, Rocket Ronnie, be able to win back to back titles even though he hasn’t played one competitive match this year? Can the one time winners of recent years like Shaun Murphy, Graeme Dott and Neil Robertson double their own personnel haul of 1 World Championship…? And what about the yet to be crowned players who have only tasted defeat in the final, what chances do they have…? The likes of Ali Carter, last year’s runner up, Matthew Stevens, Mark Selby and Judd Trump, they will all be wanting to get back to the final and claim their own Championship title...? Or will we see a bit of an outsider claim the title this year at Sheffield…?

The draw was made on Monday and we will see the defending Champion, O’Sullivan opening up against Marcus Campbell from Scotland this Saturday. Ronnie’s half of the draw dos look a little harder to predict than the bottom half, but they are all going to be hard to predict in truth...

So to the draw…
    (Seeded players are in brackets, top 8 seed in bold)
    (1) Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marcus Campbell
    (16) Ali Carter v Ben Woollaston
    (9) Stuart Bingham v Sam Baird
    (8) John Higgins v Mark Davis
    -------------------------------------------
    (5) Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould
    (12) Graeme Dott v Peter Ebdon
    (13) Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu
    (4) Judd Trump v Dominic Dale

Bottom half…
    (3) Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins
    (14) Ricky Walden v Michael Holt
    (11) Mark Williams v Michael White
    (6) Stephen Maguire v Dechawat Poomjaeng
    --------------------------------------------------
    (7) Mark Allen v Mark King
    (10) Ding Junhui v Alan McManus
    (15) Barry Hawkins v Jack Lisowski
    (2) Mark Selby v Matthew Selt

If the seeding goes to plan, which it rarely dos, then Ronnie will play Judd Trump in the top half semi and Neil Robertson will meet Mark Selby. But on closer inspection Ronnie’s half looks the harder one to predict. I think that the top 2 seeding’s for the bottom half may well meet each other in their semi-final but im not totally sure about the top half…

Current odds…
    Ronnie O'Sullivan......... 5/1
    Neil Robertson............ 11/2
    Mark Selby................. 13/2
    Judd Trump................ 7/1
    John Higgins............... 9/1
    Mark Allen.................. 12/1
    Ding Junhui................. 12/1
    Stephen Maguire.......... 14/1
    Shaun Murphy............. 18/1
    Ali Carter.................... 22/1
    Stuart Bingham............ 33/1
    Graeme Dott............... 40/1
    Mark Williams.............. 40/1
    Jack Lisowski.............. 50/1
    Matthew Stevens........ 50/1
    Barry Hawkins............. 66/1
    Ricky Walden.............. 66/1
    Peter Ebdon............... 66/1
    Marco Fu.................... 66/1
    Martin Gould................ 125/1
    Michael White............. 150/1
    Mark Davis................. 150/1
    Ben Woolaston............ 200/1
    Michael Holt............... 200/1
    Mark King.................. 250/1
    Dominic Dale.............. 250/1
    Sam Baird.................. 300/1
    Robert Milkins............. 300/1
    Marcus Campbell......... 300/1
    Alan McManus............ 300/1
    Matthew Selt............. 500/1
    Dechawat Poomjaeng... 500/1

Top half of the draw…
    If we take a look at the top half of the draw then we will see it holds 5 ex-World Champions plus the reigning champ in Ronnie O’Sullivan. That fact alone makes it hard to predict who will come out on top from this side of the draw in the quest to reach the final. O’Sullivan, Higgins, Murphy, Dott and Ebdon have all won here in the past and you couldn’t rule any of them out with absolute confidence…

Ronnie O’Sullivan – Seeded 1
    The first big match up, if seeding’s go to plan, will be a re-match of last year’s final between Ali Carter and Ronnie. That ended up 18-11 to Ronnie but the fact that this meeting would be a best of 25 means that it may favour the player who gets an early lead. I do know from a very good and close source to the Rocket camp that he has been practising with Stephen Hendry recently and whacked him 9-1 when they played last week. It’s going to be tough for him because of his self-imposed exile but he is going to be hard to beat…
    My prediction – Semi-finalist…

John Higgins – Seeded 8
    He has only made the one Ranking final this year when beating Judd Trump 10-9 to win the Shangai Masters in September. He also had a victory over Judd in one of the PTC events staged in Gloucester, though Judd did beat him in the previous PTC 4-0 in Sofia, but it’s hard to rank these victories when it’s such a short format. So you wouldn’t say he is right at the top of his game but he will take some stopping if getting to the Quarter-finals and the longer format of the tournament. Has won 3 of the last 6 titles so has to be respected…
    My prediction – Quarter-finalist…

Shaun Murphy - Seeded 5
    He got to this year’s UK Championships back in December when was beaten in a bit of a one sided final by Mark Selby 10-6. Won this World Championship title back in 2005 when beating Matthew Stevens 18-16, and has only made one final since, in his defeat to John Higgins in 2009. Always a confidence player, who once he gets a feel for the table, will take a lot of stopping. Break building is his strength more so than his safety game, though he has said that he works very hard at it. He ultimately always seems to lose more tight and tactical frames than most other of the top players, and that may cost him again this year…

Judd Trump – Seeded 4
    Judd nearly made the biggest impact he could ever hope for when making the World Championships final back in 2011, when he narrowly missed out to John Higgins 18-16. He beat Neil Robertson, the defending 2010 Champion, in the first round and never really looked back after that. He did tend to go for everything that year and eventually he got caught out by John in the final. But he proved he had learnt from that final by winning the UK Championships later that year. One of the most explosive potters on the Tour his style to show off is backed up with his whim for potting the most ludicrous balls you could go for at times. Will no doubt become a World Champion eventually, but when will he…?
    My prediction – Losing Finalist…

Bottom half of the draw
    This side dosnt have the strength of depth that the top half dos, but never the less has some of the top players for this year in it. Only Robertson and Mark Williams can claim to have won this title from the bottom 16 players, although Mark Selby has made a final before, back in 2007 when losing to John Higgins. Can a new order appear from any one of the other’s, well a few of them have had a solid season and will be hard to get past…

Neil Robertson – Seeded 3
    The Thunder from Down Under comes to Sheffield on the back of winning the last tournament, the China Open, when he beat Mark Selby 10-6 in doing so. He won the title back in 2010 and will be looking to add to that one here this year. He is one of the best players around if he gets his game together, and will take some stopping if doing so. Suffered the Crucible curse when winning the title back in 2010 when Judd Trump beat him in the first round, but he has an easier passage to the semi’s than most…
    My prediction – Semi Finalist…

Stephen Maguire – Seeded 6
    This year’s Welsh Open winner he comes here with a half decent record and is ranked the top Scotsman at this year’s tournament. That stat is something that wouldn’t be dreamed of years ago but when he ended Hendry’s tournament 13-2 last year and his subsequent retirement he stepped up to claim the number one ranking of his home country. He eventually made his 2nd semi-final in the World’s last year but ultimately lost to Ali Carter 17-12…

Mark Allen – Seeded 7
    He is the 2 time World Open winner and so has announced his claim to be a permanent fixture in the top 8 for a while now. He showed his potential when winning the World Amateur Championship back in 2004, and would love to become only the 2nd player to achieve such a thing – Ken Doherty being the only player to so it so far. He hasn’t got the best of records here and maybe the longer frame format dosnt suit his quick fire game…
    My prediction – 2nd round…

Mark Selby – Seeded 2
    There isn’t much that Mark Selby hasn’t won, but the World Championships is one of them to have yet eluded him. A three time’s Masters champion plus the UK winner back in December last year, he will be aiming to do the double with this year’s World Championship. He suffered last year with a neck problem but looks to have got over that making 7 finals this year and winning 5 of them. A very consistent player who will grind you down if given half a chance, his all round game has got better with each passing year. Losing finalist to John Higgins in 2007 he will be looking to win the title and cement his position as the number one player in the world…
    My prediction – Winner…

2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think Selby's a good player, but I don't think he's a great player, don't know why, but I just feel he wins ugly alot.

Trump I think has taken his eye off the ball this season, a little like McIlroy in golf, they think there so good that they don't need to practice. He does though have the talent to be a great player, and if he puts the hours in on the practice table then he could win it.

Ronnie O'Sullivan hasn't played enough this season, and I doubt he's done enough practicing, so he would be a big lay for me. Higgins I think is in decline these days, and id be suprised if he could win.

My pick is Neil Robertson, I think he is the player to be with, he has a favourable draw, and is starting to show his best form beating Selby LTO. 13/2 isn't a huge price but I think he is the best player in the field currently:biggrin:

3. redcgull

Saturdays first round fixtures...

(best of 19 frames)
    10:00
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marcus Campbell
    Ricky Walden v Michael Holt
    14:30
    Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould
    Barry Hawkins v Jack Lisowski
    19:00
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marcus Campbell
    Mark Williams v Michael White

As defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan will play his match out on the first days action. 9 frames will be played in the morning session with the 10 remaining frames played later on that evening. If it gets that far...

Im really looking forward to see how Jack Lisowski fares in his Crucible debut as ive heard good things from this boy. He may not have had the best of starts to his Professional career but he has been talked about for a while now. He dos have a tough first round match up with Barry Hawkins who beat Mark Selby 10-3 last year in the opening round...

A lad i have played against, many moons ago mind, plays in one of the other matches, Michael Holt. Ive heard he is really buzzing at the moment and wish him well in his match against Ricky Walden...

Mark Williams opens his championship campaign with his 1st round match versus Michael White who is making his debut here. He's got some name to live up to, and i dont really know a lot about him if im honest...

So here we have it, Saturdays line up, and the start of the tournament to find 2013's World Snooker Champion. Lets hope we get some great play from the best snooker players around at the moment...<cheers>

4. redcgull

My first round predictions...

R. O'Sullivan v M. Campbell - O'Sullivan, 10-4... 6/1 - 10-4...<ok>
    R. Walden v M. Holt - Walden, 10-6... 8/1 - 10-1...<ok>
    S. Murphy v M. Gould - Murphy, 10-8... 7/1 - 10-5...<ok>
    B. Hawkins v J. Lisowski - Hawkins, 10-6... 9/1 - 10-3...<ok>
    M. Williams v M. White - Williams, 10-7... 13/2 - 6-10...
    G. Dott v P. Ebdon - Dott, 10-7... 13/2 - 10-6...<ok>
    J. Higgins v M. Davis - Higgins, 10-8... 13/2 - 6-10...
    M. Allen v M. King - Allen wins, 10-6... 6/1 - 8-10...
    S. Maguire v D. Poomjaeng - Maguire, 10-4... 11/2 - 9-10...
    A. Carter v B. Woolaston - Carter, 10-6... 13/2 - 10-4...<ok>
    M. Stevens v M. Fu - Stevens 10-9... 15/2 - 7-10...
    D. Junhui v A. McManus - Ding, 10-6... 6/1 - 10-5...<ok>
    J. Trump v D. Dale - Trump, 10-6... 6/1 - 10-5...<ok>
    M. Selby v M. Selt - Selby, 10-5... 11/2 - 10-4...<ok>
    N. Robertson v R. Milkins, Robertosn, 10-4... 6/1 - 8-10
    S. Bingham v S. Baird, Bingham, 10-5... 13/2 - 10-2...<ok>

I dont think that the upsets will happen until the 2nd round starts... The top 16 look very strong to me this year...

Right, lets see how many of these i get correct. Had no bets on them but its just interesting to see how close or wrong i can be...!!!

5. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Welcome back Ronnie. It was great to see him in action today. I don't really mind who wins the Title,as long as we see some fantastic snooker. As a Welshman I would like to see my countrymen do well,but would be surprised if any of them win it.

Great blog,by the way.

6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I'm on Robertson at 6/1 this year, he's done well over the year and should put in a bold bid for another World title. I can't get on me comp as it's broke so just keeping it short and sweet from the phone. Goodluck guy's.

7. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

O'Sullivan wins it if he wants to, if he can be arsed nobody would come close to his level it's just a matter of if he wants it or not

8. King Shergar

Is this the same O'Sullivan who's never won back to back world titles? He's a great player no doubt about that but I take exception when people try to make out his A game is unplayable, as whilst he is the easiest on the eye, so to speak, guys like Hendry and Higgins have proved capable of beating Ronnie at his best. As has Ronnie beaten them at there best :biggrin:

9. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Fully motivated and in the mood he's unbeatable. I've been going to the world championships since I was a kid and Stephen Hendry was always my favourite player growing up but I still say Ronnie is the most talented and greatest player (when he wants to be) that there's ever been and the fact that he's not won back to back titles or more titles than he has is all down to him not having the desire for it not because he hasn't been good enough

10. King Shergar

So when Ronnie loses its because he can't be arsed, and when he wins its cause he's in the mood lol. I've been watching snooker for many years and I've seen players beat Ronnie on merit, in particular John Higgins, who's all round game is every bit as good as Ronnies. No he's not as flashy, but being flashy doesnt win you frames. Hendry aswell at his peak was everybit as good as Ronnie, just as good a potter, just as good a break builder, and a better safety player.

If Ronnie was as good as everyone makes him out to be then he's have won more than 4 world titles, in his 15+ attempts at the tournament. Great player no doubt, but he's not unbeatable even when he's at his best :biggrin:

11. SMP

SMP Member

I met Stephen Hendry when he was commentating here in York last year and he was a right miserable git. Ronnie or Trump for me. Selby is a joke, before this season he was ranked no1 in the world without even winning anything!

12. redcgull

So the Rocket goes through, and although the scoreline suggests he played well, i didnt think he looked all that comfortable at times. He snatched frames away from Campbell's mistakes more than dominate the frames with a big break. I know its not all about making the big breaks that will win you the title but the champ usually has about 10-15 ton breaks to his name in doing so. He is winning frames when not dominating them and that's a good sign and I feel he is still finding his way back in to the competition as of yet. The one thing we do know that if he gets his arm flowing and starts getting the big breaks he will take some stopping...

One of my favourite players looks to be coming to the end of his playing days. Mark Williams looks half the player he was in the past. Beaten 10-6 last night by his fellow countryman Michael White, he looked out of sorts and maybe he will consider his future just like his best mate Stephen Hendry did last year. It will be a shame, but time dos indeed move you on...

My mate Michael Holt got a right ole stuffing at the hands of Ricky Walden, and im sure he will hope to return next year to make a better fist of it...

Were only just into the first couple of days, and weve got a lot more action to come, but its yet to really kick off in the big matches yet...<ok>

13. SaveTheHumans

Ebdon is up to his old tricks again making Dott wait ages after frames and slowing everything down, it's working too as he has pulled it back to 6-5 now, take your finger out Dott I can't be watching Ebdon in the next round! It's quite entertaining watching both struggle here though!

14. King Shergar

Be fair there both pretty boring. Probably the 2 most boring players to have been world champions :biggrin:

15. SaveTheHumans

Dott is actually one of the faster player's on circuit but somehow managed to gain a slow image perhaps because he's a good grinder of matches. Cracking match, better when both are under pressure and missing it's good entertainment watching em going thru the mill.

16. SaveTheHumans

Yikes! Dropping like files.. Higgins, Williams, Allen gone and Maguire trailing at the minute. Will it be year of the underdog or is it just making it easy for one of the more established faces to win it!

17. King Shergar

Higgins, Williams, Allen and Maguire all had little chance of winning anyways. Perhaps Higgins being the only exception. Though he's 37 nowadays, and would have been the oldest champ ever had he gone all the way, so he was also easy to write off.

There were only 4 players that could win it before hand realistically, and all 4 are still in it. O'Sullivan, Selby, Trump and Robertson. So no I wouldn't say it's a year for the underdogs as all the favourites are still in it.

Perhaps as you say though it will make those 4 players route to the semi final's a fair bit easier!

Of the rest, Shaun Murphy could be a potential threat, but I don't see him winning it, as whilst he's a great potter, his safety play can let him down, and over such a long format he's not going to get away with trying to pot his way out of trouble all the time:biggrin:

18. redcgull

The funny thing is with the higher seeded players being knocked out is that they are now playing players that have had as much table time and top match play practice than ever before. Over the years the qualifying for all tournaments took place over a 3 month period that involved anyone but the top 16, and in some cases the top 32. This meant that if a player did qualify for the Worlds, who was say ranked 80th in the world, then he wouldn't have actually played a snooker match in competition since back in September or so. This would obviously go against him when coming up against an established top 16 seed who would have qualified for every tournament they would have on the snooker calendar.

Whats happened since the new Barry Hearn era has started is that he is making it a full blown, 'you have to qualify first to play' system, and in turn it is making the lower ranked players better, and much more match hardened than ever before. I did expect the likes of Higgins and Williams to go through their first round matches, but im not overly surprised that they have gone out. Mark Davis has played very well this season, and the lad Michael White who beat Mark Williams just took his chances better than Mark did. Both the ex-World champs played poorly by their standards and it wont get you through any more like it did in the past.

It will mean however that you will see some of the older, more seasoned pros like Higgins and Williams picking and choosing their tournaments in the future so that they can be fresh for the bigger, major titles through the season. If Ronnie was to win this years championship you will definitely see more and more of the top players do this. Both looked tired going into their first round matches, so god knows to what standard they would be playing in the future rounds.

The new boys on the block are keener to play all these rounds and tournament qualifiers than the top players, and this will make winning this years World Championships all the more harder...

19. King Shergar

Ding is looking very good this morning, barely seen him miss a pot:biggrin:

20. redcgull

Now as shocks go at the World Championships then Dechawat 'Call me Jack' Poomjaeng beating Stephen Maguire in the first round yesterday 10-9 is definitely up there...!!!

The man from Thailand, who names James Wattana as his mentor, out played and out nerved Maguire in the end to take the final frame in this absorbing if not quality 1st round match. True he isnt the quickest of players, that's an understatement, but he can play and that's what done Maguire in the end. He admitted after that it was just one of those matches that he just couldn't get any pressure put onto Poomjaeng, plus he didnt get the best rub of the game throughout. But take nothing away from 'Jack', he deserved his victory and will now take on another first time qualifier in Welshman Michael White...

Elsewhere today Trump and Ding will look to finish off their matches as soon as possible, Ding leads McManus 7-2 and Trump leads Dale 6-3, both start this morning to a finish...