1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2014 Snooker World Championships at Sheffield

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by redcgull, Apr 16, 2014.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The 2014 Snooker World Championships start this weekend in Sheffield in what could be one of the best finals we have seen for while in recent times. Since the introduction of more professional tournaments, and the higher standards now required by these players to compete at the top, this year’s finals could be a cracker…

This will be the 37th time we have been at Sheffield and the Crucible Theatre, the true home of snooker, in which we have seen some of the greatest players of the green baize in our time. Yes, old Joe Davis won the title of World Champion 15 times from 1927 to 1946, but he didn’t have the standard of players around him as these boys have today. In fact in the first 40 years of competing to be the World Champion only 5 players ever managed to win the title. Fred Davis followed on from Joe, with Walter Donaldson made a couple of finals, Australian amateur Horace Lindrum won one, up to John Pullman winning 8 titles on the trot up to 1968. The venue for these finals hadn’t really settled to where it is now in one place Sheffield, and they went all over for a while. The finals have been played in Birmingham, Blackpool, Chesterfield, Nottingham and London. They even went to South Africa in 1965 in what was a series of finals instead of the best of matches we have now a days. Trips to Sydney and Melbourne in 71 and 75 finishing with a final at Wythenshawe Forum in Manchester, 1976 as the last venue before we went to the Crucible theatre.

John Spenser won the first event at the Crucible, his 3rd and last World Title, but it didn’t take long before the Sheffield venue became known as the home of snooker. We went through the Steve Davis era with total domination that we never thought we would see another like him. Well, we didn’t see a like for like Davis replica, but we did get a serial winner in Stephen Hendry. The 6 titles of Davis were surpassed with Hendry winning 7, and now we are looking at Ronnie O’Sullivan trying to beat that score with him currently sat on 5 title wins.

It’s a great tournament that all the players say is the hardest thing to win but the most pleasing. The length of the matches mean that not many winners tend to have fluked it – (though I will not comment on Dennis Taylors win in 1985 as I think it was contrived…). The champion is always the best of the best within the 17 days that it’s played over, and he can then say that I fully deserve to called the World Champion. Of the ex-Champions that do not have to qualify this year’s tournament have 4 past winners. Last year’s winner The Rocket is back going for his 6th title. Shaun Murphy won here in 2005, John Higgins is a 4 time champion and Neil Robertson was the 2010 winner. With final qualifications to be completed this week we could also see past winners Mark Williams and Graeme Dott return to maybe add to their past titles.

So who will be the victor come Monday the 5th of May, well it will be hard to get away from The Rocket but I doubt that we will all be piling into the 11/8 that the bookies are currently offering. So who could challenge Ronnie and claim another title or break their duck at being the World Champion for 2014.

Number 1 seed – Ronnie O’Sullivan
    Ronnie comes to Sheffield going for a 3 timer after beating Ali Carter 18-11 in 2012 and Barry Hawkins 18-12 last year. Since his last win here last year he has won the Welsh Open, the Masters and the Champion of Champions titles. When beating Ding in the Welsh Open he made a 147 break to win the match 9-3. The 104 demolition of Mark Selby in the Masters showed us that he is very much back when it comes to wanting to win the events he wants to. He has won on some of these PTA events around the world but he just interested in all that travelling if he is honest. But the Worlds, well that is a different question. He will take all the beating this year again. The draw is easier for him than most of the top players, but as we all know the one player who can beat him is himself… Last 5 years results – Won, Won, Qf, Qf, 2R
    Current odds 11/8…

Number 2 seed – Neil Robertson
    The Thunder from Down Under hasn’t managed to add to his one World title yet, but more worryingly for me has not returned to take part in another final since his 18-13 victory over Dott in 2010. He has however the UK Champion and added to the Wuxi Classic as well, he also has made the finals of both the Australian and China Open. There is no doubt that he will take some beating this year as he has shown us that given the opportunity he will punish you. He broke the record for most 100 breaks in a season back in January when he got to 61, but he currently sits on 92 for the season and must be odds on to break the hundred 100’s mark. A great player to watch who is all out attack at times, but he can put you in the dirt if needed to with his safety. Top player with a great chance this year… Last 5 years results – 1R, Qf, 1R, Won, Sf
    Current odds 8/1…

Number 3 seed – Mark Selby
    One of the top players on the professional circuit but he will not feel like he has got to the top until he becomes a World Champion. An 18-13 loser to John Higgins back in 2007, Selby has yet to get back to the final and make another attempt to win it. A three times Masters Winner to go with his 2013 UK Championship he will be eager to become only the 8th player to win snookers Triple Crown. A finalist in the UK Final back in December, he would love to join the ranks of the top players to have all three titles on their cv, he has yet to win this year on the Tour but you couldn’t count him out of making this year his debut win either… Last 5 years results – 2R, 1R, Qf, Sf, Qf
    Current odds 10/1…

Number 4 seed – Ding Junhui
    What a season Ding is having, winning 5 Tour events so far. What an amazing feat it would be to make it 6 and become the World Champion this year. A prolific break builder with over 300 ton breaks to his name already in his 11 year career, he has moved up to a personnel high of 3 in the World Rankings. Hasn’t yet made a World final, but his talent suggests that that is just a mere blip for the China man, and he must make one and eventually win one of these title soon. His record isn’t the best on close inspection with a best being the semi-final defeat to Judd Trump in 2011. He also has one 1st round defeat, making it past the 2nd round only once more. Let’s hope he hasn’t burned himself out for this year tournament. He is drawn to meet Ronnie in the semis if all goes to plan… Last 5 years results – Qf, 1R, Sf, 2R, 2R
    Current odds 8/1…

Number 5 seed – Barry Hawkins
    Last year’s defeated finalist, he will be hoping to make it back to the final and take his first World Crown. It is always hard trying to beat Ronnie in a final, after all he hasn’t lost any of the 5 he has taken part in, but Hawkins beat some impressive players last year to get the chance to beat Ronnie. A 13-7 victory over Ding came on the back of a 13-10 defeat of Selby, so he knows he can beat the big boys, he just had Ronnie to beat in the final to make it a perfect year for him. He won this year’s PTA Championships at Preston when he beat Gerard Greene, but it hasn’t got the kudos of winning one of the main trophies on the Tour. He hasn’t reached anywhere near to the heights of last season and if I can not see him getting past the semi finals this year… Last 5 years results – Final, 2R, 2R, 1R, 1R
    Current odds 25/1…

Number 6 seed – Stuart Bingham
    A regular on the circuit now but it hasn’t been that for many a year for Bingham. A career that has spanned 19 years a professional snooker player, he only broke into the top 16 of the rankings with a victory in the Australian Open in 2012. A losing semi finalists in this year’s UK Championships he has become one of the most consistent players on the Tour today. He puts his change in fortune and better standard of playing to his coach Stephen Feeny and his ‘Sightright’ methods. This will be his 8th visit here to Sheffield were his best finish was last year when he lost on the quarterfinals… Last 5 years results – Qf, 1R, 2R, 1R, 2R
    Current odd 33/1…

Number 7 seed – Judd Trump
    Judd’s name has been around on the snooker circuit for a while now, and everyone who saw him as a junior knew he would become a top snooker player. He was the English Under-13 and Under-15 champion, and reached the World Under-21 Championship semi-finals at the age of 14. At the same age, he became the youngest player ever to make a competitive 147, all as an amateur. It was no surprise to see him make the final in 2010 as that year he took the world on with his no frills all out attacking style of play. He probably should have won the title that year but the savvy John Higgins tied him up in knots come the closing frames and his youthful exuberance caught up with him in the end. He still hasn’t got to the heights and finals that I assumed he would do by now, but he is still a kid at 24 and so has a long time left him to do so. Lost to Ronnie 17-11 in the Semi final last year, and he isn’t down to meet him this year until the final should he progress that far this year… Last 5 years results – Sf, 2R, Final, DNQ, DNQ
    Current odds 11/1…

Number 8 seed – Marco Fu
    Sixteen years a professional snooker player and only the 2 ranking events to show for it. That might sound a bit harsh but Marco Fu is one player who in his time has beaten them all but has no silver wear to show for these victories. He has had a great season by his standards of the past, winning this year’s Australian Open, losing finalist in the International Open and making 2 more semi finals as well. He is one of those players who look like they are totally unflappable when they are playing with his calm demeanor and casual potting style around the table. But he hasn’t got a great cue action when it comes to power shots and you will see him chip reds out when building up his breaks rather than most players who will regularly break the pack open given one chance… Last 5 years results – 2R, 1R, 1R, 1R, 2R
    Current odds 40/1

2. redcgull

Number 9 seed – Shaun Murphy
    The 2005 World Champion, Murphy has yet to add to this title even though he gets close nearly every year that he returns to Sheffield. Losing finalist in 2009 to John Higgins, he is however one of the many players who have yet to win the Triple Crown of snooker, the Masters being the one missing from his collection. One of the straightest and most powerful cueists on the circuit he is a serial semi finalist at all the major events, he did cross the line to win the World Open in Haikou China to win on the Tour, his first for nearly 3 years. He is prone to break down when approaching the winning line in both frames and matches but he is a tough nut to crack if he is playing well. This will be the 12th time he returns to Sheffield but hasn’t made a semi final in his last 4 attempts. He is due to play Fu in the next round then Ronnie in the next so he will do well to improve that record here this year… Last 5 years results – Qf, 1R, 2R, Qf, Final
    Current odds 16/1…

Number 10 seed – Stephen Maguire
    The UK Champion back in 2005 he just hasn’t gone on to add anything else of substance since that victory. The World Championships haven’t been the best place for the Scot to show off his talents, with a best placed finish making the semis in 2007 and 2012. He has however made the semis of the Indian Open, Championship League and the Masters making it the best season since the 4 semis he made back in 2010. Very highly strung at times, he has been warned over his conduct around the table and is prone to kicking and punching the tables form time to time. God knows how he hasn’t broken a bone in his hand before now but if he can keep calm he is a hard player to beat. He was the last player to play and beat the legend that is Stephen Hendry in 2012 when he demolished him 13-2… Last 5 years results – 1R, Sf, 1R, 2R, Qf
    Current odds 33/1…

Number 11 seed – John Higgins
    To be classed a legend of the game you need to have won a fair amount of the top titles to be classed in that bracket and John Higgins fits that profile. He has won the Worlds 4 times, the UK 3 times and the Masters twice in his 21 year career. He won his first World Championships back in 1998 and his last in 2011 covering more than a decade between first and last victories, something that Davis and Hendry fell just short of. He isn’t the player that he was back then but he knows how to win, and that’s a big thing in these long framed matches. He hasn’t got passed the 2 round since his last title win in 2011 and only made 2 finals since as well, the last one being the Wuxi Classic earlier this year. He is one of my favourite players to watch but I think his time has gone to add another title to the 4 he already has… Last 5 years results – 1R, 2R, Won, 2R, Won
    Current odds 16/1…

Number 12 seed – Ricky Walden
    I have actually played against Ricky Walden before now, though to be honest playing him was more like watching him if I’m truthful. It was a 2-0 hammering where he potted everything in sight including a 109 in the opening frame. A really good bloke who has his own style of playing, probably the Jim Furyk of the snooker world, as he tends to line up off centre only to pull back and hit straight through the ball on delivery. It is his 10th year as a professional snooker player now and in those 10 years has won the Shanghai Masters in 2005 and the Wuxi Classic in 2013. Probably should have made the final last year when he led Barry Hawkins 12-8 only to lose to him 17-14 and that would have hurt him. He is a good potter and takes his chances well, it will be his lack of winning the big tournaments that could stop him from winning his first World title… Last 5 years results – Sf, DNQ, 1R, DNQ, 1R
    Current odds 66/1…

Number 13 seed – Mark Davis
    It would be hard to call Mark Davis a journey man pro at the moment but he has fought with keeping his ticket as a professional over the years before now. When he won the Benson & Hedges Championship in 2002 he maybe thought that this would propel him into the big time of top 16 rankings, but it never materialized for him. But come 2012 and the 6-Red World Championship where he beat Shaun Murphy 8-4, Mark returned to winning ways and got his name back amongst the elite. He must have been equally pleased to have defended the trophy when he beat Neil Robertson by the same score line the following year. A likeable player, he isn’t one that will punish you with his heavy break building but he does know his way around a table if you leave him in. Will meet Ding in the next round if all things go to plan, and I can’t see him passing him if he does meet him… Last 5 years results – 2R, 1R, DNQ, 2R, DNQ
    Current odds 125/1…

Number 14 seed – Ali Carter
    The twice runner up at the Worlds, losing on both occasions to Ronnie O’Sullivan, he hasn’t really threatened to become a serial winner. It is well documented that he has suffered from Crohn’s disease in the past, plus he got diagnosed with testicular cancer last year. Thankfully he has since been given the all clear from the cancer scare. This will be his 12th visit here to the Crucible and he has only made the semis on three occasions before now and I’m not sure that he will improve on these stats here this year. Mark Selby will be his next opponent should they both get passed their opening match, and I think it would stop there for me and this year’s attempt at winning the World title crown for the first time… Last 5 years results – 2R, Final, 2R, Sf, 2R
    Current odds 40/1…

Number 15 seed – Mark Allen
    Mark will be making his 8th return to the Crucible this year and it hasn’t been the best of venues for him in the past. Yes he made the semi final back in 2009 when he lost to eventual winner John Higgins 17-13, but he beat O’Sullivan 13-11 in the 2nd round then Ryan Day 16-8 in the quarters to show us that he was going to be around for a while. He just hasn’t kicked on from there really for me. An explosive potter who will take a pot on before playing safe, he has that knack of potting his way out of trouble and then clearing up to make you wonder what you have to do to beat him. He nearly completed a hat trick of World titles this year just falling short when he lost to Shaun Murphy 4-6 in the semi finals. Made the UK Championship in 2011 but hasn’t reached anything near that since when it comes to a ranking tournament. Has it all to do if he wants to progress as he faces Neil Robertson in the next round, and I don’t think the longer framed format suits him much anyway… Last 5 years results – 1R, 1R, Qf, Qf, Sf
    Current odds 25/1…

Number 16 seed – Joe Perry
    It took him 23 years of his professional career to record his first ranking points final when he beat Mark Selby in the 2013 final of the Yixing Open in China. A solid if not spectacular snooker player, you won’t see him screwing the ball around the table with deep running side or flashy pots. Joe goes about his business with a steady authority of a player who knows what he can and can’t do around a table. Hasn’t had the best of seasons this year and will be looking forward to his first match against whichever qualifier comes through as his next opponent will be the Rocket. Good luck Joe… Last 5 years results – DNQ, 2R, 1R, 2R, 1R
    Current odds 80/1...

I will look at the qualifiers after the full line ups have been done…<cheers>

3. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

In the process of trying to pick 2 out now red...they should give it to O'Sullivan already if the bookies are to be believed, ffs how short can they go on him like?? At least it leaves nice prices on the field for the rest of them.

Great write up :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Good write up Red

Do you play a lot of snooker?

As with the golf, i tend to stick to certain players throughout a season (& More!)

However, this year Matthew Stevens hasnt even qualified.

So i'll be on

Ricky Walden
    &
    Shaun Murphy

5. redcgull

Ask my other half if I play every now and again... err, that'll be 'all the bleedin time...!!!' Don't play as much as I used to do, but I got to a decent standard... I still hold the highest league break in one of the leagues I play in, 114, had it about 8 years ago and a highest in practice of 131 - and I missed the black...!!! Ive had loads of hundred breaks in practice and stopped counting them years back, but ive not had one for about 3 years now, might be an age thing...!!!

Im a good player but not the best in the leagues that I play in... 1 frame snooker is what I play, apart from the cup individuals which will be best of 3 or 5, but 1 frame snooker is the hardest format to win all the time. Some players can pot everything in practice, knock 100 after 100 break in, but get them in match conditions and they freeze up a bit and stop going for what they normally do...

My other half always says that around September through to April she becomes a snooker widow, which is unfair as I like football, horse racing, golf, cricket, rugby etc, etc, etc...<laugh><laugh>

Do you play much Smokin...?

6. redcgull

Draw for the Dafabet World Snooker Championships 2014

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Robin Hull
    Joe Perry v Jaime Burnett
    Shaun Murphy v Jaime Cope
    Marco Fu v Martin Gould
    ---------------------
    Barry Hawkins v Dave Gilbert
    Ricky Walden v Kyren Wilson
    Mark Davis v Dominic Dale
    Ding Junhui v Michael Wasley
    ---------------------
    Mark Selby v Michael White
    Ali Carter v Xiao Guodong
    John Higgins v Alan McManus
    Stuart Bingham v Ken Doherty
    ---------------------
    Judd Trump v Tom Ford
    Stephen Maguire v Ryan Day
    Mark Allen v Michael Holt
    Neil Robertson v Robbie Williams

Some good draws here, Selby v White will be close as will Higgins v McManus... Right im off to get my head around these qualifiers...<ok>

7. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Red

Used to play more through my late teens, could rack up 50+ breaks but my a*** used to fall out, and to be honest i was know for being a better potter than break builder.

Highest in the league was a 76, highest break in practice was around the same.

I did take the future FIL for a game in Jan, after a chance discussion in the pub that he was good. Lets just say i had to miss a few shots here and there just to keep the games interesting.

8. SaveTheHumans

Delighted to see Crafty Ken make it back, great character, not sure how well he will fare vs Ball Run Bingham but hopefully he put's up a good fight anyway. C'mon Ken! As for selections I am still mulling over who to go with :huh:

9. SaveTheHumans

The two I plumped for after all are Ding Junhui 7/1 and Ali Carter 50/1 - Ding, apart from Ronnie is probably the most in form player this year and he has to make his presence felt here sooner than later and Carter alway's seems to give his best showing in the long sessions so I hope he produces another good display at a venue that brings out the best in him.

Watching the Ronnie O'Sullivan show and reading his blog on Eurosport I get the impression Ronnie is in a tremendous place mentally, I have never seen him so at peace with the ins and outs of the game and if he gets on a roll he will be nigh on impossible to beat. I hope it's not a damp squib though and that the tournament produces some memorable games as it usually does and may the best man over the 17 day's win <cheers>

10. SaveTheHumans

Very glad to see Doherty beat Bingham, Bingham played about as bad as he can and Ken wasn't really at his best but played a lot better than he has in recent events so he was there to pounce on Binghams mistakes and won comfortably in the end. Look's like a few shocks may be in store as usual in the first round with Murphy and Maguire also struggling although I knew Day would give Maguire a good game.

11. SaveTheHumans

Helooooooooo...is there anybody out there <laugh>

Good win by Perry this morning red :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. redcgull

Timmmbbbeeerrrrrrr...!!!!!

Number 4 seed Ding, got donged...!!! Well played Michael Wasley...

Number 6 seed Bingham got dumped out by ole Ken Doherty...

Number 10 seed Maguire lost a final frame decider to Ryan Day...

Its turning out to be a great tournament already, unless you've had a bet on them - unlucky STH's... The lesser ranked players have given a great account for themselves this opening weekend and it may well carry on for the first week... Selby only just edged past Michael White 10-9, Murphy did the same with Jaime Cope. John Higgins is 6-3 down, though im not surprised with this, but I am surprised it's McManus who is dishing out the score line to him...

Anyway lest hope that this is the beginning to what could be a great tournament this year...

I've been mad busy this weekend but im back to my normal shifts now and so will be able to update the thread as the results go in... I eventually went with Selby @ 10/1 and Ricky Walden @ 66/1 both e/w... So fingers crossed...<cheers>

13. SaveTheHumans

Yeah, poor ol' Ding just cant' get to grips with the Crucible. Oh well, never mind, Carter has an easy 2nd round match anyway <laugh> gl red :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. SaveTheHumans

Good win by Murphy that 1st rd was tough for him but he Coped well ..gettit <laugh>

15. SaveTheHumans

Watching the Trump/Ford match here is like watching two amateurs play they are playing some terrible shots, whoever falls over the line will be glad to have scraped through. Juddernaut look's a shadow of the player from a few seasons back.

16. redcgull

It dos seem that all the extra matches that the lower ranked players are playing in is making them very match sharp. So much so that when they play the higher seed its not affecting them as much as it did years ago when they played all their pre-qualifiers back in September-November. Its amazing how many of them seem to be struggling to get over the winning line when they have the chance, which is great for us watching, but nervous as hell for the players playing...

Expect another close call soon, and maybe another shock win before the tournament is over...?!?!?

17. Smokin Beau

Smokin Beau Member

Ba Dum dum Tshhhh

I quite fancy my two players...if Murphy can get past O Sullivan in the 3rd round if he gets that far

18. SaveTheHumans

The 'spaceman' Dale is dishing it out to Mark Davis too, he hasn't been past the first round since 2000. So many matched are going the distance already whoever makes it to the final stages will be knackered, it makes compelling viewing though for us.

19. redcgull

Totally agree pal... Those ones smashing them to bits early doors of the comp will be a little bit sharper come the tension and struggle at the end of the tournament... Rocket 10-4, Allen 10-4, Robertson will win 10-2/3 or 4 and Hawkins by the same 10-4 - or 10-4 Broderick Crawford for the older generation out there...!!!

All good to see for us watching fans...<ok>

20. SaveTheHumans

Perry 5-3 up overnight as well, played decent although O'Sullivan was well off on his long game but still Perry had to capitalise and did so. This one could go to the wire should it continue in the same vein when they resume.

On another note Robertson has got to 97 centuries now for the season, WOW. I know there's more tourneys and that but to put it into context his nearest rival is on 45 (I think) some feat. He really took Stephen Hendry's advice about clearing the table rather than making a 70 and breaking down, love to see him do it and he has every chance vs Mark Allen as that one will possibly go all the way with their past games being very close affairs, so every chance he could make 3 during that game. All the best to him.