1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 6, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Officially registered as The Spa Novices' Hurdle, The Albert Bartlett was added to the festival in 2005 with the advent of the fourth day. It is run over 3 miles with 12 flights of hurdles to be jumped. One of the best winners, and one of my favourite horses ever, was Brindisi Breeze under Campbell Gillies. Due to tragic circumstances both horse and jockey are no longer with us but the memory of those slick jumps and unrelenting gallop will stay with us forever:

Other previous winners include Wichita Lineman and subsequent Gold Cup hero Bobs Worth as well as the hugely talented but desperately unlucky Weapon's Amnesty.

This year sees 57 entries and the market is headed at around 5/2 by Ben Pauling's ultra-tough Kalanisi gelding Barter's Hill, who is unbeaten in 7 runs including the Grade 1 Challow Novices Hurdle. Next best is Shantou Village (who also holds a Neptune entry) followed by the Mullins battalion of Gangster (definite runner), Up For Review (definite runner) and Thomas Hobson ("I'm thinking Albert Bartlett for him. He could be a class horse in the Bartlett.").

Latest prices from Oddschecker

Entries

Ron likes this.
  2. stick

stick Bumper King

BARTERS HILL a similarly unrelenting galloper to Brindisi Breeze odddy. Will gradually grind them all into submission methinks. Was one of my ex bumpers to follow this season and I will be as pleased as punch if he delivers!

Ron likes this.
  3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I'm a little concerned that he will be grinding away too soon and we know brilliant horses can get beaten in this. I wonder is the Mullins battalion will engage him early and try to break him.

Really hope he wins, but I am concerned about the race. Perhaps we have a Nicanor in here!

4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I'm more excited about Barters Hill going chasing. If the grounds a bit quick and he gets beaten into 3rd or 4th in this it is not the end of the world. Personally I think Shantou Village will win this quite smartly and he can improve for the nicer ground.

5. OddDog

Staff Member

Personally I hope Shantou Village goes for the Neptune <yikes>

6. TopClass

After what Yanworth did it's highly unlikely mate and the exchanges suggest Albert Bartlett.

Only thing that may change it is a soft ground festival.

(29.0 Neptune, 7.4 Albert Bartlett- should tell the story)

7. OddDog

Staff Member

Ah but Yanworth is a heavy ground bully who will get found out on spring ground - Mulholland knows that ;)

8. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

I actually think Shantou should go for the Neptune also but even if he goes for this ill still back him. Rewatching the race above its great to see all the jockeys giving him a handshake, they obviously knew how much that win meant and its great to see the respect shown to each other, so refreshing!

9. the don

the don Well-Known Member

Word is Gangster going for this and is working the house down!
    RR bullish on Thomas Hobson as well. Owners of Bachasson also very bullish on spring ground. Could be an absolute cracker.

10. TopClass

If Gangster wins it'll be an absolute robbery.

11. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

A crime?

TopClass likes this.
  12. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

It's a dangerous game to focus on Mullins horses in the Albert Bartlett. I'm not a big fan of Barters Hill because his jumping was dreadful lto but i'd expect him to beat all three of those and I wouldn't be shocked if none of them are placed.

13. the don

the don Well-Known Member

BH lost a shoe in his last run... not sure at what point tho.