1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Queen Mother Champion Chase

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 3, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The 2 mile Champion Chase, the creme de la creme, the bees knees in fast, accurate jumping and speed combine to make this race one of the highlights of the festival.

Or do they?

Run over 2 miles with 12 fences to be jumped, we should expect this to be an incredible spectacle of steeplechasing at its finest, with the best of the best slugging it out around this natural amphitheatre. Yet all too often, the race turns out to be something of an anti-climax. I found Dodging Bullets victory in 2015 particularly sterile, whilst Sire De Grugy the year before was emotional and profitable, but hardly a great race. Sprinter Sacre's demolition job was sexy but one sided, and Finian's Rainbow's defeat of Sizing Europe, aided by the last fence debacle was just disappointing.

This was a real race

Anyway, on to 2016 and hopefully a more interesting and thrilling race than simply a demolition job from Un De Sceaux. 16 are still engaged including the (apparently) rejuvenated former champions Sprinter Sacre and Sire De Grugy, reigning champ Dodging Bullets with plenty to prove, and of course hot favourite Un De Sceaux who looked to have finally matured a little when running away with the Clarence House Chase. Special Tiara will run his usual honest race and may make things interesting up front with UDS, whilst Sizing Granite is being touted as the forgotten horse.

You know what? It might just be a good race.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries

Ron likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Phew. How long ago would that have been called a dead heat?

3. OddDog

Staff Member

Nice to hear Big Mac with the prices at the beginning of that film <ok>

4. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

The champ at his best. I was there that day.

OddDog likes this.
  5. floridaspearl

I'm going Wednesday and been looking at the champion chase and I really think Felixs younger has got a good chance at the price., he's been in top form this year. I'm not sure vautour will turn up and un de sceaux is a worthy favourite but he's prone to make a few mistakes with his jumping. As far as I know these two have never met so who knows I don't know who'll ride but the Mullins kid has been riding but he's out injured. Special tiara is worth a mention.any thoughts.

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Agree Felix Yonger is in good form, would like to see him in the Ryanair though

7. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I wonder will they sidestep Cheltenham with Felix Yonger and head for Japan in April to try and win the Nakayama Grand Jump and emulate Blackstairmountain's win in 2013. Being realistic, he only has very slim place chances if he lines up at HQ and would relish firmer ground which he would get in Tokyo.

I read an article form The Irish Times not long ago stating the Japan option was a strong possibility, very costly though apparently. If he does line up at HQ next week them I guess he will be expected to run a big race there.

8. floridaspearl

He's won on all types of ground and the wylies will want to run him

9. SaveTheHumans

Can't see where I said he didn't. What I did say is that he prefers good ground. Or at least Willie and his team think so amd I must respect their opinions.

10. floridaspearl

Sorry no problem, went back and looked his form, most of it was soft or worse but if like you say he might prefer better ground he might get it Wednesday. Either way my money will be on.

11. SaveTheHumans

Good luck <ok> a nice winner he would be. Kind of has to run on that ground here as it's seldom good will appear with all the miserable weather we get, bodes well then if he can improve for better ground. I just think he's a tad short at this level but if, like you said, UDS misfires then who knows what will happen. Should be a good race hopefully.

floridaspearl likes this.
  12. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I backed Special Tiara in November. Very good ew claims again I think.

13. Ardent1965

Ardent1965 Well-Known Member

Oddy your making me feel old...i backed Edredon Blue that day and still think it got beat watching that back...

OddDog likes this.
  14. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

Really gets the juices flowing that vid Oddy!!

OddDog likes this.
  15. tward07

tward07 Well-Known Member

Im sure that they said if he were to go to Japan he would have had to left a week ago due to travelling and quarantine. So that now looks out of the question.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  16. SaveTheHumans

The Import quarantine law for a horse in Japan is a minimum stay of 7 days so they would have time still if they choose to travel. He's just going to turn up at HQ anyway <laugh>

I guess getting there earlier and getting some work into him would be a factor too so probably is staying here <ok>

17. OddDog

Staff Member

Great description of the key part of the race from the Racing Post website:

"The favourite came down the hill with the gap increasing until the third-last. At that point Sprinter Sacre moved past Special Tiara into second, and then, shockingly, began to close on the leader. The speed with which he shut down the gap drew gasps from the crowd and as he hit the front rounding the bend they began to roar him home."

Spine-tingling stuff.

18. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know we don't do after timing so I apologise but there is no way I was the only person who had 2 quid on him just before the race just in case. Fantastic performance from a fantastic horse.

NassauBoard likes this.
  19. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I didn't have two quid, but yes.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  20. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

"And Sprinter Sacre is coming through to challenge Un De Sceaux now as they race to the final....and takes it up! Sprinter Sacre, from Un De Sceaux...and then Special Tiara..and then Gods Own...and Nico De Boinville has got the favourite in trouble! They approach the second last, Sprinter Sacre he SOARED over it.. 4-5 lengths clear! Un De Sceaux is in trouble, and then Special Tiara. Here's the final fence, Sprinter Sacre, he's over safely! With the hill left to climb, Nico De Boinville goes for his whip here...this is the old Sprinter coming up the Cheltenham hill! Sprinter Sacre by 6 or 7 lengths, one of the great racing comebacks, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM COMING TRUE, AND HE REGAINNNNNS HIS TITLE. Sprinter Sacre wins the Queen Mother Champion Chase, for a second time- what an amazing horse."

God damn Simon Holt what an absolute justice you did that race, I could feel the tears of joy in the mans voice! Goosebumps all over. That's as close as you will come to joy in this sport. I have no words.

redcgull and Ron like this.