1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Ryanair Chase

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 5, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

One of several new races introduced when the 4th day was added to the festival in 2005, the Ryanair Chase is run over 2 miles 5 furlongs and there are 17 fences to be jumped. Pitched at horses who don't have the speed for the 2 mile Champion Chase but don't stay the 3m 2f Gold Cup trip, the Ryanair Chase has produced some spectacular and emotinal moments during its short history, including providing AP McCoy with a Grade 1 winner during his last festival on board Uxizandre last year. Here the previous winners:

upload_2016-3-5_10-33-59.png

A combination of speed and stamina is required to win this race, together with accurate jumping.

The market for the 2016 renewal has been heavily skewed by the presence of Willie Mullins Vautour, who shortened dramatically for the race when apparently failing to stay in the King George over Christmas. Whilst many feel he only needs to turn up here to win, connections remain adamant the Gold Cup will be his race, with Rich Ricci even going as far to say that if Vautour doesn't run in the Gold Cup then he won't run at Cheltenham at all this year. He remains odds-on for this race with a number of firms but most bookies have taken the chance to shorten other fancied runners on this news.

If we take Vautour out of the market, we have an uneasy favourite in Road To Riches, a close 3rd behind Coneygree in last years Gold Cup, followed by Toppy's old favourite Al Ferof. Indeed with 34 still entered, it is difficult enough to know who will run, never mind who will win. One horse I would love to see run is Felix Yonger, but Willie Mullins has said he goes Champion Chase. Although he couldn't get to Taquin De Seuil in the JLT a few years ago, I think as an older horse he would get this trip, and his defeat to Road To Riches on seasonal debut at Clonmel was probably due to lack of fitness. If you can get NRNB I think he might be worth a dabble at anywhere between 20 and 33-1.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries

2. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

I mentioned on the antepost thread that Road to Riches was one I really should have backed at 16s before Christmas but didn't but I did back him at 6/1 with Hills the other day. Seems a toss coin to me whether him or Valseur Lido go here, but what swayed me was at Willies press day Valseur Lido was automatically included in Willies Gold Cup horses...Add in the fact you could argue that RTR had his chance, and failed, in an easier Gold Cup than this year's I think RTR might just have to make do with the consolation race. To me he's blatantly the only Grade One horse in the race, I think it's really a case of whether he runs or not and at the price I'm happy to chance it. You could always go NRNB too, if you're more risk averse.

OddDog likes this.
  3. OddDog

Staff Member

Taquin De Seuil supplemented for this today and you can get anywhere between 7/1 and 14/1 about his chances. It also looks increasingly likely that Noel Meade will be overruled by Gigginstown and Road To Riches will end up here rather than in the Gold Cup.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  4. beeforsalmon

Yesssss, really hope you're right Oddy ;)

OddDog likes this.
  5. OddDog

Staff Member

Just backed Felix Yonger e/w at 16/1 NRNB for this. He'll probably go Champion Chase in which case I get my money back, but if this race cuts up as badly as I think it might, they might just get tempted to run him and I can see him going off 5/1 fav with Ruby riding. I guess it will depend on what the Gigg lads want to do with Valseur Lido.

6. beeforsalmon

Think Noel Meade has won the argument with Willie Mullins as it seems VALSEUR LIDO runs here, leaving my selection Gold Cup bound. This is the same Valseur Lido who finished a furlong behind Vautour over C & D last year and blatantly needs 3m+.... Incredibly it seems Ryanair just don't want to win their own race <yikes>

7. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Any ideas if Vautour will be running here or the Gold Cup, would be interested in lumping on him for this race, but wouldn't touch him for the Gold Cup.

8. stick

stick Bumper King

Runs in the Gold Cup

King Shergar likes this.
  9. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

Vautour confirmed for RyanAir according to Ricci on the morning line.

King Shergar likes this.
  10. King Shergar

Seems like the right call to me, far to much speed to win a Gold Cup if you ask me.

beeforsalmon likes this.

11. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

I think Village Vic could run a big one here. Tough and progressive. 33/1 e/w looks a sporting bet. Ground probably perfect for him. Have never prescribed to the view that Old Vic's progeny necessarily like heavy ground; good or good-to-soft probably best.

12. OddDog

Staff Member

I'm really struggling to get to grips with this race now that both Vautour and Road To Riches are confirmed. If you trust Vautour's form and fitness then this is a slam dunk BUT there have been so many strange vibes around the horse it is difficult to know where to stand as a punter. At cramped odds I'm happy to swerve Vautour and either (1) just watch and enjoy the race or (2) look for an e/w alternative. If Village Vic adopts front-running tactics it could make things very interesting and I also think Vibrato Valtat is interesting at the prices. Need to study this a bit more ........................

13. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Vautour hacks up doesn't he?

14. OddDog

Staff Member

Dunno Nass, what do you make of the fact connections say he isn't 100% so won't go to the Gold Cup? Was it just a jaded piece of work or something more? There is suddenly a bit more risk attached to the horse.

15. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Think Ruby chose Djak and that's why they switched. Even below his best he'd be tough to beat too.

16. OddDog

Staff Member

Really? I thought Ruby was in love with Vautour? Maybe knows he wouldn't get the trip?

17. King Shergar

I think saying he's not 100% is just an attempt to wriggle out of the criticism that's coming the owners way for switching races. I personally think he will hack up. Its a poor race Vautour aside.

Agree aswell that it is probably to do with the jockey situation, as I fancy they'd of tried to make the running in the Gold Cup, and they probably wouldn't trust another jockey to judge the pace right.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  18. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Maybe worth waiting till we see him pre race but i very much expect him to be at the very top of his game and i very much expect him to bounce off the ground.

19. beeforsalmon

If Road to Riches doesn't go close here it won't say much for last year's Gold Cup.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  20. OddDog

Staff Member

Dunno about that Beefy - the Gold Cup was 3m 2f on soft ground, this is 2m 4f on good. Some difference.

DreverSpur likes this.