1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 St James’ Place Foxhunter Chase Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 6, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Gold Cup for amateur riders, the Foxhunter Chase is run over the same 3 miles 2½ furlongs as the Blue Riband event with the same 22 fences to be jumped. Established in 1904, qualification for entry in the Foxhunter Chase is based on a horse's previous performances in certain types of race within a specific period. To be eligible a horse must have finished first or second twice in hunter chases, or have won two open point-to-point races, or have won one open point-to-point race and finished first or second in a hunter chase.

There have been 7 dual winners of the race (The Callant, Whinstone Hill, College Master, Double Silk, Fantus, Earthmover and most recently Salsify). The leading trainer is Richard Barber with 4 wins and leading jockey is Coleman Sweeney with 3 wins.

The lead-up to this year's event has been dominated by the potential participation of Olympic cycling gold-medalist Victoria Pendleton on Paul Nicholls' Pacha Du Polder, one of 41 entries in the race. Here is a picture of the lovely Victoria looking beautifully pensive in Andy Stewart's famous silks:

please log in to view this image

This is a level-weights race and we already have a pretty short-priced favourite in Enda Bolger's On The Fringe at 5/2. On official ratings, Mendip Express comes out top on 146, followed by Current Event (142), Marito and Pacha Du Polder (141) and Aupcharlie (140).

Latest prices from Oddschecker

Entries

Ron likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

She looks even better in her own silks

3. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Ok, there has been just about as much news of Ms. Pendleton as the race itself. Most on here and elsewhere have had their say on her chances. I can't help but feel that the woman is pretty much on a hiding to nothing. Some are suggesting that if she can just get around without hitting the deck, she'll have done a good job, but that to me is rubbish. I find it hard to believe that she's so bad that even if the horse does a good job of clearing the obstacles, her chances of finishing are slim. And with Pacha Du Polder being a 16-1 shot, the bookies obviously don't think he's the one to beat. I know nothing of the horse so can't comment on his chances. Nobody, owners and trainers included, can be certain about the chances of any of the runners in the race. They can believe they have a red hot prospect, but there is every chance that the animal will bottom out. Even great champions, with the best riders in the business in the saddle, have not lived up to expectations. So if Victoria Pendleton's mount jumps faultlessly, and she does everything right, and the horse tails off at the finish, she will have done nothing wrong, but there will be those who will jump at the opportunity to crucify the woman. And God forbid if the animal makes a mistake and brings them both crashing to the ground. Even if it's not her fault, she'll wear **** in spades. I say, good luck to the lady. She almost needs to win just to break even, anything less, and some will immediately start planting the knife.

Ron likes this.
  4. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

All the talk so far is about the jockeys, so I thought I might mention a horse I fancy. If he gets the trip dark lover has got to be in with a shout at 25/1. I've backed this horse his last two wins and he's a multiple winner round here, and like I say if he gets the trip he will win.

5. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

If you watch back last year's race it's hard to believe ON THE FRINGE isn't similarly priced to some of the more heralded horses like Thistlecrack and Yanworth. 11/4 looks an absolutely stonking price. Don't be too put off by his quiet reappearance, same as last year, merely a stepping stone to this. Not sure you could call any horse a 'machine' in this sphere, but this ones as close as you'll see. Hopefully Ms Pendleton can watch and learn about balance and presenting a horse at a fence from Nina too!

tward07 and SaveTheHumans like this.
  6. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Have to agree. Class horse, class jockey and fair price.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  7. floridaspearl

Come on lads! This is boring, where's the the romance. Anyone can tip up the favourite

8. stick

stick Bumper King

I like Culloty's youngster at what looks a very fair price.
    You got an angle on that one Beefy?

9. floridaspearl

My problem here is certain posters have been using the scatter gun approach for the last year tipping up horses that won't even run or are withdrawn due to injury and even the fox hunter is a faves race. Faves don't win every race at the festival and when you wake up to this fact you won't do your dough. Some people on here have got a problem. Stick this is no way aimed at you , you just happened to post next.

stick likes this.
  10. floridaspearl

11/4 a stinking price, are you f#cking mad !!!

11. beeforsalmon

Thought you're the man for whom it's all about Festival form?! What part of last year's 15l hack up job puts you off him then?! Then he followed up at Aintree and Punchestown, takes some horse to do that...11/4, should be Evens ;)

Stick- not really other than yer man couldn't train a dog to bark as they say!

stick likes this.
  12. floridaspearl

Beefy you been backing every good thing all year for the festival for most of them to fall by the wayside and with only a few more days to go there will be a few more good things re dunguib?.

13. beeforsalmon

Still got a few decent ones running mate including No More Heroes, Limini, Douvan and Min all at nice odds but yeah a fair few shockers too! Mullins has particularly vexed me with his Yorkhill and Black Herucles plans this season. Twat <laugh> What about you mate, big pay day ahead with Camping Ground in the Champion?

What's this craic with Dunguib lad by the way?!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. floridaspearl

Only rode and trained a gold cup winner, something your man ain't done yet.

15. floridaspearl

All I'm saying is, if it was that easy we'd all be maxing in sandy lanes for the rest of the year. There's lots of twists and turns to come. Re camping ground, I would get more satisfaction out of seeing that win than two or three hotspots. Good luck next week.

beeforsalmon likes this.