1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Champion Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Aug 31, 2016.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

No don't do ap mugs game.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  2. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

The unspoken truth.

floridaspearl likes this.
  3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

You called them Grade Two when you described it as a Grade Two Champion Hurdle. (Given that they are intended runners)?

4. beeforsalmon

Well I termed the race collectively a Grade 2 yes, as it's not likely to have many Grade One winners in it, is it?

5. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Only five 160+ rated hurdlers left with entries
    Brain Power - 162
    Jetzi - 167
    Petit Mouchoir - 162
    The New One - 162
    Yanworth - 164

beeforsalmon likes this.
  6. TopClass

Who knows. Time will tell.

i think BD would have won every Grade 1 Hurdle in England had he not gone chasing. I think he'd have won the Christmas Hurdle easily.

I just worry about him on quick ground- didn't quite quicken up round the bend in the Supreme before keeping on just behind Min.

Whats easier for Yorkhill though- JLT or Champion? Personally I think the former.

7. Doalittle

Behind an injured Min

beeforsalmon likes this.
  8. TopClass

Lol, Min ran well but got smoked up the hill by a machine called Altior. I don't think there's any evidence that he performed below or on the day either in how he travelled or how he kept on up the hill. He hasn't looked markedly better to me this year?

9. beeforsalmon

Fact of the matter is BVD wouldn't have been let within a million miles of the Champion Hurdle if Faugheen or Annie Power were around. He got well beaten in the Supreme, in a typical year would we be seeing the Supreme third vying for favoritism in the next years Champion? Especially one whose been fecking well chasing most of the season!!! That tells you plenty about the standard of the race now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    woolcombe-folly007 and Doalittle like this.
  10. Doalittle

He's trashed everything put in front of him.

11. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Whatever you think of the standard of this year's Champion Hurdle there is no substitute for proven Grade 1 form. Buveur D'Air has had 1 run outside novice company, last Saturday at Sandown in the race Binocular used to hack up in. Yorkhill has had no runs outside novice company. The form from their novice season, whilst relevant, is no direct guide to their chances in the Champion Hurdle. If you can get in NRNB then the 12s on offer for Jezki is possibly the last bit of value left in the market. I'd still have PM over Yanowrth, Yorkhill, BVD'Air based on what they have achieved this season.

12. TopClass

Well he has, but then again beating Three Wise Men and Ordinary World is not much of a measuring stick. He trashed everything last season before Cheltenham and to be fair beat all but one in the Supreme.

13. TopClass

Fair comment Oddy.

My own personal thoughts are that the 3rd in the Supreme and the 2nd in the Neptune might have achieved more than PM and Jezki is cracking on a bit these days.

But that said- only one way to prove it and that's on the day.

But I wouldn't touch the market right now, just wish I had BD at 33/1 single instead of in a speculative multiple with Min <doh> <laugh>

OddDog likes this.
  14. Doalittle

Same with Altior.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing left in the Champion Hurdle is good enough to win it. So it will be won by something that isn't good enough to win it. A lot of them have beaten each other. Every one I get interested in has some form that puts it out of the reckoning. Take your pick.

If it's heavy ground I think I would plump for BD but 4/1 is no price in an open renewal. Apples Jade ew at 25/1 (WH) for me

upload_2017-2-6_23-20-49.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    redcgull likes this.
  16. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

That's what I love about the sport Ron, and why I find this race even more interesting now. Anyone could tip up Faugheen at 5/4 but now we have to put much more effort in, consider all the form lines, weigh up form versus potential, look at trip, track and going effects. OK it might not be a classic but it is more interesting than a short priced jolly hosing up.

17. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Ok I got one and reasoning behind it and may happen. Only one bookie has priced him up! UN DES SCEAUX there was arguments at the beginning of his hurdling career that he should have gone to Cheltenham. Has a won a couple of graded races over in France (I'm pretty sure he has won a grade one over there) Anyway reverted back to hurdles last summer to win a grade 2 in good style (didn't stay 3m the other day). The ground ok he prefers the soft ground but his chasing record isn't too bad over good ground - only beaten by the aeroplane. you know he handles Cheltenham, stays , goes off in front and will try to turn the screw early on and get the others off the bridle early as he can.

There's no strong candidate that you can say if he turns up he is going to win and there are questions Over the field with some of them are they really quick enough for a 2m champion hurdle, or how they gonna step up from handicaps. UDS currently on a hurdle mark of 156. Is there really a race for him at the festival? He could very easily slide in and fill the void left by Faugheen!

18. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

But then agin he probably won't run in and will just go to the Ryanair <laugh>

19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Am somewhat pondering the jockey arrangements re that McManus chap having 2 so prominent in the betting. Who will climb aboard the Geraghty declined??? Will (i) the relevant trainer decide, (ii) the owner’s management make the decision, or (iii) will Mark Walsh be jetted over.

I’m guessing (but it is merely a guess) that the Geraghy lad will opt for Buveur so this could have serious implications for the 'county set'.

20. Doalittle

Mark Walsh get second pick. No question.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.