1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent point Rick - I was never that big a fan of either Murphy, but we got excellent money for them!! <ok> :emoticon-0102-bigsm

carrowcanario likes this.
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So before Silly Season get's truly silly, and pre-season gives us any pesky evidence, how do we all think we'll line up for the first game of the Premier League season? Any new signings in the XI?

My guess is essentially unchanged personnel, but a tweaked system:

Krul
    Aarons Zimmerman Klose Lewis
    Leitner Trybull
    Vrancic Stiepermann Buendia
    Pukki

Bench: New GK, Hanley, Godfrey, McLean, Hernandez, New Full Back, New ST

So a switch of wings for Emi (he spent all of 17-18 on the left), and Vrancic in the side as a wide midfielder, rather than using a winger. Vrancic would help with ball retention and winning the ball back, and also offer more of an out-ball if Krul needs to go long. I feel like that change would help us keep things tighter whilst still creative, with Onel as an impact sub.

Canary Rob likes this.
  3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. I’d be inclined to think Godfrey in for Zimmo, though that’s the toughest part of our team to decide.

I can still see us signing a new DM and AM

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Interesting DH. My go would be:

Krul
    Zimmerman Godfrey Klose
    Aarons Leitner Trybull Lewis
    Buendia Pukki Stiepermann

Bench: McGovern, Hanley, Vrancic, McLean, Hernandez, New FB (Zeffane?), New ST

The formation shown is when the opposition have the ball. When we have it, the formation changes to:

Krul
    Zimmerman Klose
    Trybull Godfrey
    Aarons Buendia Leitner Stiepermann Lewis
    Pukki

Depending on the opposition and home or away, Hernandez could replace Stiepermann, who either replaces Leitner in that role or drops to the bench. Zeffane (if he signs) rather than Heise as sub as he can play LB and RB, as well as WL or WR if we go more defensive to protect a lead.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Starting line up for me out of the current players we have at our disposal;

Krul
    Aarons Zimmerman Klose Lewis
    Godfrey Leitner
    Buendia Vrancic Hernandez
    Pukki

Godfrey to be the first line of defence in front of the back four, and feed into Leitner/Vrancic/Buendia who can all rotate in forward positions.

Hernandez and Pukki to utilise their pace on ther counter.

JM Fan likes this.
  6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I see no radical new dawn. Barring additions who tear it up in training I see it as very much as you were:

Krul
    Aarons Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis
    Trybull McLean/Vrancic
    Buendia Stiepermann Henandez/(Or new winger)
    Pukki

I don't foresee any changes to formation unless we play the top 6, then I think RER may have a point. As for Vrancic playing ahead of Henandez, I just don't see it, that has been an option this season, Henandez's form even dropped a little at times in the run in. Farke wasn't tempted then, I don't think he will be now.

Bah!

JM Fan and SuffolkCanary like this.
  7. RiverEndRick

I think DF also sees Vrancic as an impact sub. In the PL he'll be more likely to use subs more tactically and earlier due to the intensity and pressure of matches.

8. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Hernandez stretches teams with his pace and strength on the ball. His decision making isn't perfect but he is certainly a dangerous player and with us playing against less packed defences he could be a real handful.

I think Vrancic is one of our best players technically and would have him in the number 10 role over Steipermann personally, no doubt Stiepermann has been great this season but i'm not sure he can offer as much as Vrancic could in terms of goals and assists.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. RiverEndRick

The numbers back you up Suffolk. Stiepermann had 9 goals and 6 assists while Vrancic had 10 goals and 7 assists. That looks close, but Stiepermann had 34 starts and 6 sub appearances whereas Vrancic had only 14 starts and 22 sub appearances. 10 goals and 7 assists from that is mighty impressive considering he was playing deeper. His pass success rate is also 5 points higher. Perhaps DF saw a need for Stiepermann's height and physicality in the Championship, whereas the PL may favour the technical skills of players like Vrancic and Leitner far more. That's also true of Pukki and Buendia, IMO.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think Stieps was chosen for his classy celebrations <whistle>

RiverEndRick likes this.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

RiverEndRick, ncgandy and canary-dave like this.
  12. canary-dave

13. RiverEndRick

Yes, I read that article about Brady's comments and actually laughed out loud. These 'pundit' comments are so predictable and clichéd. I seem to recall the same patronising comments back in the 90s when under Mike Walker a tight team, with their spirit boosted by academy products like Jeremy Goss, Chris Sutton and Robert Ullathorne, lead the league most of the season and eventually finished third. The pundits were all looking very embarrassed and even more so the following year when we knocked out Bayern Munich in Munich. The great Franz Beckenbauer couldn't believe it after his cocky predictions beforehand. Stuff the pundits, I say!

canary-dave likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

A cracking article from Robin Sainty eulogising about the new ‘Mayor of Norwich’ and his impact on his first season at CR. JM was full of praise for him and I must admit he does add something to the team.
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...fine-end-to-the-season-from-a-quality-player/

Some excerpts – ‘The slide rule pass between two defenders which freed Onel Hernandez to set up Teemu Pukki at Villa Park on Sunday was just the latest important contribution from a player who has been on Stuart Webber’s radar for some considerable time. City’s Sporting Director admitted that he had tried to sign McLean when the latter was still at St Mirren four years ago. Two excellent goals against Bristol City in the win fuelled City’s final push as well as one at Rotherham when they were struggling to dominate their hosts. A sublime chip to set up Emi Buendia at Bolton and a 40 yard laser to the same player which set up his outrageous over the shoulder flick to Pukki against Hull were all key moments, but it’s what he has brought to City’s engine room that has been most impressive.
    Powerful in the air and the tackle, he has shown that he has the pace and ability to read the game to be able to screen the back four effectively despite having spent much of his career in a more advanced position, Also his comfort on the ball has meant that City’s passing game hasn’t suffered as a result of the absence of Tom Trybull following his season ending injury at Stoke.’'

Canary Rob and canary-dave like this.
  15. RiverEndRick

WhoScored sees him as a DM as well and I wonder whether he's found his best position. A DM with 'slide rule' passing could be very valuable in the PL.

16. RiverEndRick

Given Suffolk's point about Vrancic over Stiepermann, I've tweaked my line-up:

Krul
    Zimmerman Godfrey Klose
    Aarons Leitner Trybull Lewis
    Buendia Pukki Vrancic

Bench: McGovern, Hanley, Stiepermann, McLean, Hernandez, New FB (Zeffane?), New ST

The formation shown is when they have the ball. When we have it, it changes to:

Krul
    Zimmerman Klose
    Trybull Godfrey
    Aarons Buendia Leitner Vrancic Lewis
    Pukki

The alternative would be Hernandez on the left and Vrancic in midfield. I suspect that there's going to be healthy competition between Trybull and McLean at DM as well.

17. canary-dave

Shoot the proof reader Rick, when we have the ball and changes to when we have it

18. canary-dave

Forget that Rick <doh> my bad

RiverEndRick likes this.
  19. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more, I have been trying to persuade people how good I think he is for a couple of months.

As Rick says I actually thought he was best in the DM role when Trybull got injured.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

Good article by MB detailing what needs to happen before next season even starts, beginning with our expectations:

"Summer is a break but also a reset for you guys. If the rest doesn't come, the appetite doesn't return - and with it, generally comes expectation. That is one thing - but it's pride that should really kick in. Your club, playing in the league that has dominated European competition. Your city, back on the global football map and this time there should be no inferiority complex - rather a full appreciation for City's canny recruitment, youth products and stylish football taking on the big boys, just like it did in the heady days of 1992-93."

A reality check is needed for all of us. We will score fewer goals and concede lots more. It's about survival this time and much of it won't be pretty to watch. We have to take the pain to make the gain of long term stability.

Point 2: "Don't judge Norwich by how they went about the Championship. They know the next task is a different beast."

How we change and adapt our play will be crucial to survival or failure. It's easy to play confidence based football when things are going your way. How will our players react when they don't?

Points 3&4 involve how we will recruit the players we need within a budget of £20m? The challenge for SW, DF and the new name on the list, Kieran Scott.

Points 5&6 are about referees and VAR next season and old rivalries renewed.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/michael-bailey-6-things-for-premier-league-return-1-6046376