1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019 RSA Chase

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Feb 6, 2019.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The championship race for staying novice chasers, the RSA Chase is run on the Old Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 3 miles and 110 yards, and during its running there are nineteen fences to be jumped. Previous winners have included subsequent Gold Cup winners Lord Windemere, Bobs Worth, Denman, Garrison Savannah, Mandarin and of course Arkle, plus Grand National winners such as Miinehoma and, in memorably bizarre fashion, Might Bite. Last year's winner, Presenting Percy, is currently favourite for this year's Gold Cup.

48 initial entries were made for the 2019 renewal and of course there are several here with multiple entries in the Arkle, JLT and National Hunt Chase.

Current favourite (and highliy likely to run) is Nicky Henderson's Santini at around the 3/1 mark. Very much a "talking horse" after winning the Grade 1 Sefton Novices Hurdle at Aintree last season, he began his chasing career with a bloodless victory at Newbury. Things didn't quite go to plan at Kempton on Boxing Day when he could only finish 3rd behing Le Bague Au Roi (unlikely to reoppose here) and Topofthegame (very likely to reoppose and currently around 7/1 but shorter in places). Santini finished like a train at Kempton having been outpaced by the front two and it is thought the stiffer test of the RSA will bring out the best in him. Whether that will be enough to turn the form around with Paul Nicholls strapping Topofthegame remains to be seen. I think Topofthegame is a really impressive individual and can go right to the top of the tree. Sandwiched between the two in the betteing at around 4/1 is Gordon Elliot's Pertemps Final winner Delta Work, who is unbeaten over fences including two Grade 1 novice chase victories. Not certain whether he runs here or in the JLT at the moment. Another Nicky Henderson inmate, OK Corral, is next in the betting at a best-priced 16/1 and he has already won twice including at listed level. We then have the likes of Vinndication (disappointing over the shorter trip of the Scilly Isles), On The Blind Side (impressively back to form over 3 miles at Kempton), last year's Martin Pipe winner Champagne Classic (needs more chasing experience?) and the 150-rated Drovers Lane and Hardline.

This has the potential to be a really good renewal if most of the main protagonists turn up and I am really keen on Paul Nicholls Topofthegame who I hope can follow in the hoofprints of his famous stablemate Denman and take this en route to much bigger things.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

He’s a bit on the soft side still isn’t he? The run last time showed for me that he needs yet another summer off and to grow into his massive frame. He’s clearly a talented horse, but I’d want a battle hardened horse in the RSA, something that knuckles down and responds to pressure

3. OddDog

Staff Member

Possibly Nass, he is clearly still a big baby BUT he was trying to give 7lbs to an exceptional mare at Kempton and he will have learnt plenty from that. Do you know whether he is due to run again prior to the RSA? I think I read somewhere that he won't.

4. OddDog

Staff Member

5. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I like the mare but look at how quickly he folded between the last two fences!

I also think Santini is a similar profile, but I’d be wanting to take both of them on.

6. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

All about SANTINI for this correspondent and as I’ve been saying for a good year, on these pages, I can think of no more likely winner of the 2020 CGC than he. An outstanding prospect and probably the horse I’ve been most excited about in the old NH sphere for many, many, and I do mean, many, many, seasons.

First time out, this term, when far from fully fit he was outstanding to win a Newbury Grade 2 and then I thought he ran an exceptional race, on a track that was never going to suit, at Kempton Park on St Stephen’s Day. The way the old boy stayed on that day roared that what he wants is 3 miles + around a more testing track. 3 miles and a more undulating track is what he will get on 13 March. And next term Santini will be even better over 26.5 furlongs when, all being well, he contests the 2020 CGC. Kempton Park was all about, as old boy Tony Blair used to drone, ‘education, education, education’ and that he got in the race as it was vital he prepped against Grade 1 contenders in a real race prior to March. Is also, of course, handled, by the forum’s favourite trainer, the best in the business, our inspiration and pin-up, Lieutenant Henderson, so you can guarantee he will be placed and prepared to total perfection.

I know that above I’ve spoken more about next term than this but really believe Santini will turn this race into a procession as well. Plus, he has the added advantage that 2 of his main rivals are almost certain to sidestep the race (Le Bague Au Roi and Bags Groove) due to severe doubts about them acting around Cheltenham. Re the latter, incidentally, I’d be most interested in him re the ’19 ‘King George VI Chase’.

7. OddDog

Staff Member

Down to 31 entries at the 20th Feb forefeit stage with all of the market principals standing their ground.