1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2024/25 Season

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Ron, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, I was thinking of Runcorn. I remember one of their players dropped his shorts at some of the Wycombe supporters - classy <doh>. My memory is terrible sometimes. I thought we banged 6 past them but it was 4-1

2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

All I remember was our crowd comapared to their's & what an easy game it was.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did they have a crowd? Looked like family and friends only <laugh>

4. philhythe

It was a bit like our play-off against Sunderland we out numbered them three or four to one

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What's all this about a 22 man squad limit Wrexam refer to? It made me look up League 1 squad limits and foud this:

"
    The Professional Footballers' Association has said it will have to consider legal action if the English Football League does not scrap its proposed limits on squad sizes.

Under the proposals, teams in the Championship will be able to name a 25-man squad while those in Leagues One and Two will be restricted to 20.

The PFA wants teams at all three levels to be allowed to name 25-man squads.

The union said that suggestion has been rejected by the EFL.

In an open letter to EFL clubs and players, the PFA said that limiting squad sizes in Leagues One and Two would "increase the risk of injury to players" because of the demands of a 46-match season.

And it said clubs relegated from the Championship would "be forced to honour multi-year contracts to players who are no longer able to play due to reduced squad sizes".

We have 20 under contract and 3 more offered

6. philhythe

Yep it's mad in this instance I think the PFA are right

7. philhythe

I am beginning to feel sorry for Bloomfield, let's be honest most supporters are realistic enough to be happy with a top half finish in league 1 (like this season) now the pressure is going to come down from the top.

8. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Joe Low starting for Wales, new signing Bartolo on the bench for Gibraltar. Former player De Barr starts. Good experience for everyone.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Matt Bloomfield celebrated his graduation from the UEFA Pro Licence course at a special ceremony at the National Football Museum in Manchester on Wednesday night.

The UEFA Pro Licence is a course that develops highly-skilled leaders, managers and coaches capable of creating sustained success.

It’s the highest professional game coaching course and takes 18 months to complete.

Bloomfield said: "It's the culmination of nearly two years of hard work since my application.

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In February, plans were revealed by the Bucks Free Press which show details of a new training facility that could be built in Little Marlow by the club.

In the leaked documents, it states the club intends to submit a hybrid planning application with Bede Group Sports & Leisure for the development of a sports hub and Country Park on Westhorpe Farm Lane off Marlow Road.

The plans show how Wanderers would own a community football facility with a "state-of-the-art" sports hall and five new pitches.

upload_2024-6-10_14-34-12.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024 at 2:45 PM

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dan Rice, the club’s new Chief Football Officer and Interim Chairman of the Board of Directors commented: “Our vision for the sustainable growth and success of the club are underpinned by the need for Wycombe Wanderers to have access to first-class training facilities and we are delighted to have secured our deal with Imperial College London to achieve our goal.

“Harlington is an excellent venue for us to develop our plans for establishing our first team at a higher level, and for creating an academy at the highest possible standard. We have undergone a thorough process to identify and secure the right facility for us and Harlington - with convenient transport links and located close to both Wycombe and London - suits our requirements

Aiming to move to Harlington as soon as possible, the Imperial College London owned site boats '18 full-size grass pitches and a floodlit FIFA-certified 3G astro, as well as a gymnasium, canteen, changing rooms, office and classroom space, meeting and video analysis rooms and a media studio.'

Eduard Vyshnyakov, a member of the club’s Board of Directors said: “We are delighted to be moving to Harlington, which offers opportunity to develop first-class training facilities. Harlington's floodlights and all-weather pitches ensure our players can train at an elite level all year round, overcoming the winter restrictions, and will support our player availability for the entirety of the season.

"With regards to the current training ground at Marlow Road, we are considering it as an alternative training site, alongside other possible opportunities.”

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024 at 2:43 PM
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wycombe Wanderers owner Rob Couhig had publicly spoken out on the potential plans to move the club’s training ground facility.
    This comes just months after their training base in Marlow was renovated
    In documents shared with the Bucks Free Press, it stated the Chairboys intend to submit a hybrid planning application with Bede Group Sports & Leisure, for the development of a sports hub and Country Park on Westhorpe Farm Lane off Marlow Road. The plans say how Wanderers will own a community football facility with a ‘state-of-the-art’ sports hall and five new pitches
    upload_2024-6-10_14-47-38.png

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wycombe Wanderers 'apologise' for developing training ground without permission
    upload_2024-6-10_15-1-10.png

The current Marlow Road training facility had major developments last summer with the club recently submitting a retrospective application. The club doubled the size of the medical facility, added a new boot room, kit room, and media room as well as increased the office space for the coaches and staff. In addition, the car parking area was re-surfaced and extended in order to provide a location for cars, away from training activities

Speaking earlier this year, Wycombe owner, Rob Couhig said: “I think [the training ground], gets into our philosophy that we are developing a Championship infrastructure. “If you get a chance and you go by the training grounds that we presently use, you’ll see that we have poured a tonne of money into it, to upgrade it to Championship level quality.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So now we have a training ground which cost a fortune to renovate, a planning application for a new state of the art training ground in Little Marlow and now a state of the art training ground in Harlington (presumably rented). Not sure what to make of that unless Harlington is temporary until we get our own. I can only imagine that, one day, either the Marlow Road training ground or the Little Marlow site will be the home of a new stadium. But then, what would happen to Adams Park? The mind boggles

15. philhythe

It does, when you think we looked at Reading's as well, to a certain extant I can understand the training at Harlington, it's a guess more players live that way. With the owner we have now & the money he has who knows what is going to happen. As long as they don't try an MK Dons/Wimbledon. The thing that surprises me now is how far players travel to even get to home games, when you look at some of the transfers in league1 & 2 some players going from one end of the country to the other. You only have to look at Blooms how much travelling he must do.

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes. Once upon a time, all the players worked in High Wycombe and wore their hearts on their sleeves. Didn't they used to have living quarters in one of Ivor Beeks' hotels

17. philhythe

Must admit it's only in the last few years I have begun to realise how much driving & travelling players do, after the Beast famous comment when Ainsworth signed him, You never told me it was going to take two hours to get here

18. philhythe

Anybody fancy the First Team Coach job at Wycombe:1980_boogie_down:

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wanderers will head to Swindon Town for a pre-season friendly on Saturday 3rd August, kicking off at 3pm.

The game at the County Ground will be open for supporters to attend, with ticket details to follow in due course.

Matt Bloomfield's men take on Watford four days earlier at Adams Park on Tuesday 30th July (k.o. 7.30pm).

A number of other practice matches will be played behind-closed-doors, while the development squad will also be giving opportunities to trialists at a number of friendlies against local non-league opposition.

20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Definitely - if it hadn't been for all the requirements <laugh>