1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Yes, think we have this beast of a business which never quite fits the loyalty of what the fans crave, as essentially footy is a tribal game. It’s a constant balance of trying to be pragmatic due to the reality of the game, and just being pissed off at what is seen as greed and rejection.

2. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

The trouble is that Le Tissier and Channon have both already got Saturday jobs, now

3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

4. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Agreed, but fans are such hypocrites anyway. How often do we demand loyalty from our players, but then when they become prone to injury, it’s “get rid” without any thoughts of their circumstances. Clubs offer contracts. Players play. If they are good we should expect bigger clubs to be interested. I think we got a great price but replacing a proven goal scorer will be difficult as everyone wants them. We March On.

5. Shandy_top_89

Think you might want to reread SaintMarvs comment tbf.

6. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

He said he “wanted” CL football. That actually translates to “I’d like much more money & a bigger club with higher ambitions”. He went to the best he could get! So sad but that’s football nowadays. Said already, no ill but he’s gone & my only interest in him is that he & Villa fail. Harsh? Maybe but that’s my view & flip side of the above.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I'm worrying about your positivity there Lincoln <laugh>. I need to raise my game :)

8. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If we got the same price for Ings but he went to one of the top clubs we would probably be much less wound up by it. It's the fact that he is a Southampton lad, and he said he was happy to stay here unless a top club came in for him that play Champions League football, and then he'd probably take the opportunity...and whats he done? Jumped ship for Aston ****ing Villa. Just feels like more of a slap in the face to us then it would have felt if it was to a Champions League team.
    However, taking a step back a bit, £28m is £28m whether it was from Man City, Liverpool or Aston Villa. We would have been in the same position either way, so it's just down to the club to bring in the right players now and hope that they work out here because there really are no guarentees.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  9. Lemons and Oranges

Saints play Villa at St Marys on Saturday 6th November. That's after (about) ten games, for each of us. It's a long way in the future, but it will be very interesting to see our relative league positions by then, and whether or not Ings will be on Villa's teamsheet. He'll probably be injured, but it is a toss up between Ings having an injury before the game, or being injured by Romeo during the game.

10. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021

11. Lemons and Oranges

I can't be bothered to check, but it would be interesting to find out Villa fans' opinion on Ings' move. Do they think that they've unearthed a real talent at a bargain price, or that Villa's management are wasting their money on an old has-been?

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

My biggest dilemma is, how do I tell my Villa supporting mate, who is a genuinely lovely human being, that I hope her **** club gets relegated?

13. Lemons and Oranges

Maybe they can add letters either side, and get: 'ThINGS can only get better'

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, the bloody cheapskates. Serves them right for not having Vestergaard in the first place

15. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Don't worry mate, 4.50 on match day will roll around soon enough. Normal service will be resumed

16. Shandy_top_89

They seem quite happy and about as surprised as we were, they are struggling to see how he fits in their side though as they usually play one up front and Watkins already fills that position.

I don’t think they are particularly worried about paying over the odds at the moment…

Ings is a good signing for them, but how good will depend on whether he stays fit. The bastard will definitely score against us though, that is as much of a dead cert as it gets.

SaintinNZ and Lemons and Oranges like this.
  17. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Sad to see Danny go now but we'd all accepted he was leaving in a season anyway. Best get on with it with 25 large in our pockets.

And fingers crossed that Man City pull out of the Grealish deal, as it seems Villa have already spent the money :D

Lemons and Oranges likes this.
  18. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

All things considered, good business by Saints.
    So we`ve had one-goal, we`ve had half-season - who`s next ?

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

So turns out my mate who knows him was right when he told me awhile ago that he wasn’t fussed by CL football or even playing that much (if he had gone somewhere like Man City), he just wanted a massive final payday, which Saints couldn’t offer him

20. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

I made this for you.

Sad Little Life Danny.png

RSS and LincolnSaint like this.