1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Button Question?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

There is considerable merit in what you say and certainly in exactly identical cars, if this is even remotely possible, Hamilton will always extract more performance from it than Jenson.

Although I do believe the pairing of Hamilton and Button to be the best on the grid and for McLaren.

Interestingly McLaren have stated they have identified the negative issues with the detail of Jensons set-up in Canada and are expecting better results at Valencia.

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not asking to much then <whistle>

3. TheModestMatt

TheModestMatt Member

McLaren still dont have the answers for Jenson so they have resorted this. The irony is that they couldve worked on this at Mugello.

"I guess the first thing you do is set up the car like the other car, and that's what we'll do initially," the 2009 World Champion confirmed. "There will be settings that Lewis prefers more than anybody else does because that's how he sets it up.

"I won't be as quick as him on those settings, but then we can work from there and find a set-up that works for me."

4. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

I don't understand this season, last year Button did well on high tyre wear, this year should be the same.... but Lewis seems to have understood the tyres and is now on a par with Jensen.
    So that means, Lewis is faster in quali and in the race.... Unless it rains.

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this year there is a fundemental difference between drivers managing the tyres and the car being tyre effecient through set up! Lewis's performance in Spain is a prime example! We all know that Lewis's natural style is not focused around tyre preservation but he was able to do a far higher race stinit mileage than any other driver whilst maintaining a reasonable pace - although not front running pace. Similiar points can be taken from the Lotus and Sauber in Canada!

I personally think it is more about the natural charachteristics of the car, the set up and then how the driver races - hence the term sweet spot. Whilst I would not want to inferr that the techies dont understand, but I think there is an element of pot luck in both the original set up of a car for the race weekend and how the track developes! Just my opinion and based purley on my personal observations.

6. Drudeboy

Drudeboy Well-Known Member

according to alguesuari, the problem with button's tyre wear was that they misinterpreted the problem.

button thought it was a problem with warming up the tyres, and so changed things to get more heat into them.

however, alguesuari says it was actually a problem with over-heating, and so their changes only made it worse. a valid theory it seems to me, don't know how he knows this though, and quite a large error from mclaren if thats the case.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18529174 near the bottom

7. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Sounds like bollocks to me. Their telemetry would show if there were issues with heat in the tyres so they'd know if the issue was too hot or too cold. That the team and someone independent are giving different answers also doesn't help!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100515

This suggests McLaren/Button have fixed the problem. Doesn't say how or what they have done, so just looks like some PR speak before an event in the hope that he will go better.

8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

An excellent point. If the problems are specific to Jenson, with respect to Paffett & Turvey(?) they can't find the answers for him.

9. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

It makes you wonder if it was just dodgy reporting but the way it seemed only Hamilton was keen to go to Mugello. If Button knew he was struggling with set up why not push to go to Mugello?

10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well Mugello was after Bahrain where if Jenson hadn't been unlucky with a puncture/car failure he would have finished 5th and been the joint leader of the championship. Sure it was the first sign of troubles but he probably wasn't too worried about it then or thought it was track specific.

11. Smithers

Forum Moderator

12. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

He has changed back to his preferred brakes. This is what I was talking about after the Canadian Grand Prix, as I believed it was a major factor in his troubles.

Button prefers a softer brake set-up than that afforded by the Carbon brakes &#8211;which require a higher operating temperature and bite very suddenly. They go against his natural driving style. Conversely, the Brembos give more 'feel', allowing more finesse, although perhaps ultimately less powerful.

13. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

He sounded pretty dour on the radio in free practice, seemed he'd lost all ability to brake without locking up the fronts.

14. Smithers

Forum Moderator

According to Mark Hughes;

"Perhaps there are more things on his mind at the moment even than getting out of his downward spiral of form. There were even whispers of the 'R' word at the weekend"

15. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

What's the R word?!
    please log in to view this image

16. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Whats the "R Word", surely it's not retirement?

17. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Rheumatism? Rhinoplasty? Rallying?

What does it mean Smithers?

18. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Racing? He is an F1 driver after all.

19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I don't think he has the time to take up rhythmic dance tbh

20. Kyle?