1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Button Question?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Smithers, Jun 11, 2012.

1. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Can't believe Smithers dropped that little bombshell and then left us hanging like this. I assume it's in Mark Hughes's Autosport column if anyone fancies buying a digital copy of today's mag. <cheers>

2. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

3. u408379965

That still doesn't explain it. <grr> He's spoken before of wanting to race in Le Mans so maybe he is planning to leave F1. :(

4. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Don't see how that is an excuse for Jenson performing badly, Seb had the same trouble of transferring practice pace into Quali pace early into the season and it didn't affect his results with an ok car. He almost got on the podium twice with the same problems until Bahrain came around!

5. u408379965

Hughes makes it sound like they were given a defective set of tyres by Pirelli. Twice. No one else has complained of this, so I don't buy into it happening twice to Button at crucial moments.

6. StoneRosesRam

StoneRosesRam Member

Why is everyone trying to find excuses for Button's poor form?, i think he was a great champion but the simple fact of the matter in my opinion is that he cannot successfully drive a car when eveything is not exactly perfect, when it is as we have seen in 2009 and last year he can be one of the best but for me Jenson just does not have the ability to produce good results when the car is not perfect, whereas Hamilton and in particular Alonso can (as we have seen this year)

His inability to be flexible with the car is a fault it should not be used as an excuse, someone like Alonso has adapted his driving style through his career to suit the car he is driving

7. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably becuase all drivers have torid time at some point or another, good car or not.

8. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Everybody is narked by it for some reason, when Button gets on the good side of life again, this will be forgotten.

9. Basil_Brushzenberger

Yes. It will be back to "it's just the car" again.

10. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Button seems to have bad spells quite regular though.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 I can recall bad spells where he is well off the pace compared to his team mate for several races

11. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I dont think you could class 2009 as a bad spell and I thought he was very strong in 2010 going into a new team and more or less matching Lewis. 2011 he was very strong again! I would agree that his Honda days weren't great but his team mates didn't exactly set the world on fire. He was very strong for BAR and exceptional in 2004 where if it were not for the dominance of Ferrari and MSC he would have won races and maybe even a championship.

However as a big JB fan I would have to agree that he is absolute tripe at the moment and not keeping the car on track in Sepang and the poor last pit stop in China would have made a drastic difference to his season, both points and confidence wise.

12. Basil_Brushzenberger

2004 was the car. See how easy it is to be a chat room hero? 2009? That was the car. Now Vettel in 2011 and 2010? What a great driver. I've loved him forever. Ever since it looked like he was going to win the Championship, in fact. It's always good to be in on the ground floor. People really respect the fans of winners, I've heard. I would hate to be the fan of someone who wasn't winning. Imagine that.

13. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Not really sure what your point is? I am making the assumption that you view is that you cant support a driver in a top car who is winning. If thats the correct then so be it - everyone is entitled to their view. I support JB who isnt in the best car and isnt winning races, I also support Kimi who is in a strong car but is not winning races. I also like to see drivers from supposed midfield teams do well!

14. Basil_Brushzenberger

I didn't think that my sarcasm was that subtle. If you reverse the meaning of my post then that will be a fairly accurate representation of my point of view. I like Button. He speaks like an adult, drives beautifully and overtakes with sheer class. Fans of his team-mate are quick to criticise him, forgetting Shamilton's abject performance last year.

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Point taken, when I have re read your previous posts it seems obvious! :emoticon-0181-fubar

16. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Excellent drive and he looks like he's got his Mojo back. Didnt quite have the pace, and maybe if he had been on a better run he would have had a little more confidence to really go for the win. Hope he gets another podium in Hungary.

17. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Has the Button Question been Answered?

18. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Probably not, and t ill depend on how the rest of the season goes.

19. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's back! Shame he couldn't win, but a great drive at last.

20. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

A good drive from Button but even better for him is that McLaren appeared to have the fastest car.