1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Ched Evans to Oldham decision is...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by South West 'Ulltra, Jan 6, 2015.

1. South West 'Ulltra

South West 'Ulltra Well-Known Member

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oldham didn't get this much grief when they signed Lee Hughes and he got six and a half years for killing someone ffs.

3. Quill

Quill Bastard

I hope he signs, just to see what chants are created.

Stockholm Tiger and PLT like this.
  4. South West 'Ulltra

South West 'Ulltra Well-Known Member

I can't see them signing him if I'm honest. Sponsors willing to pull out will talk - if they do it'd be interesting to see if they could get anyone else in.

If he was to go to someone, Oldham would be the one after giving Lee Hughes a 2nd chance.

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think their owners are desperate for cash and their sponsorship deals will be tiny, if they sign him now, they'll probably have a £3m player on their hands by the summer and the next club that sign him won't have anything like this sort of agro.

In fact, I'll stick my neck out, nobody calls a joint press conference to announce they're not signing a player, I think he's about to be announced as an Oldham player.

6. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Such is the case with modern social media, specific cases or incidents begin to snowball to an extent that mob justice rules and actually influences the real world.

When in reality much worse goes on and is completely unchallenged.

Its what happens when you give idiots a voice.

7. Quill

Quill Bastard

Agreed. Why would you go through all the trouble to say no?

8. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

It - conceivably - could be a joint PFA/Oldham statement as to the fact that the whole thing is now becoming 'punishment by media'....

9. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Lee Hughes defo worse that Ched, looks nailed on he's on his way, fans are fickle and if he starts banging them in, the masses will forgive (or forget) past issues

10. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

The man's a convicted rapist. The jury considered the evidence and convicted him. His then lost his appeal.

I wonder if the woman he raped thinks he's getting a fair deal. She's had to change her name 5 times because of the idiots supporting him outing her on social media.

11. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

It was debated to death on here when it happened, but I dont think the police did enough. Both he and and the young lad from man City were accused of the same crime, yet the other kid was acquitted. The woman was totally out of it, had no idea what was going in and said she 'might' have been raped. It's almost hearsay. I don't know why the jury moved to convict based on nothing more than the young girls recollection, which was hazy at best.

Luke Mccormick was responsible for the death of a young girl through dangerous driving and is now back playing again. And his conviction was plain as day. If you can't try and rehabilitate this people, what's the point? Commit a crime, serve your punishment and then do nothing? It's not how it works.

PattyNchips2 and Jack Lesterfan like this.
  12. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

Do you have civil lawsuits? She could take most of that new salary of his easy here.

13. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

The issue much bigger than Ched Evans, his victim or his crime.

Both him and to a lesser extent his victim are now subjected to trial by social media which undermines the court ruling and the laws which we chose to live by.

What's the point in having a trial, a judge and a jury if the public are then going to administer their own 'justice' on a whim.

He has the right to work and she has the right to anonymity, both are currently denied that because people sat behind their keyboards think they have privilege and the right to undermine the law.

What's worse is this vigilante culture is selective and inconsistent, as others have mentioned killers have been allowed to return to football and people barely raised an eyebrow.

14. Obadiah

The woman didn't claim she was raped. either before, during or after the trial. She said she couldn't remember. MacDonald was acquitted because he picked her up and took her back to the hotel. Her actions implied consent which is why he was acquitted. Evans lied to get into the room, left by the fire escape and couldn't show that she was in any fit state to say yes, that's why he was convicted. Its also why the appeal court judges throw his appeal out. Especially as he claimed she'd had black outs before.

The evidence I've seen supports his conviction. I believe football fans should have a say in the running of their club and that includes whether a convicted rapist plays for them. An employer has the choice, but it usually done in private. How many convicted rapists do you think have been found unsuitable for a post they applied?

15. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Convicted and guilty are not always the same.

What he did, while abhorrent was not much different to what thousands of young lads have done and continue to do every weekend up and down the country. This is a result of the society we live in and both male and female attitudes to sex.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Great post and 100% correct.

The twatterati have been hounding this bloke since the minute he was released, they've bombarded interested clubs with their pious moralising and then frightened their sponsors.

It's a sad inditement of our time that these gobshites can ride roughshod over the entire meida spectrum making their misguided nonsense appear to be the consensus view.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  17. UnitedinRed

I've seen some of these idiots state how much of a hero Mike Tyson is to them too.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  18. Obadiah

The burden of proof is higher in a criminal court and he was convicted. He may already have an order for compensation against him. It may be why he's protesting his innocence so much.

19. UnitedinRed

45000 signatures against him joining Oldham.

Last home gate....5000.

20. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

Sure I know the burden of proof is less. Most of the time here when it happens, like with Ben R and Kobe they settle out of court before it even gets to that point, with a guilty verdict he would have to settle as he would have no chance at winning the case.