1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

THE CLEAROUT HAS BEGUN !

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, May 2, 2017.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure we're only keeping McGovern, as he's only a year into a 3 year contract.
    Yet another example of AN's fantastic transfer dealings!!! <doh>

PS - don't forget, we've also got Smith!! <getscoatemoticn>

2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Plus apparently, somehow, we have no money.

So already have 7 first team squad leaving. Losing those 3 would make 10.

That's a lot of free transfers we have to try and find this summer.

3. Forgot_My_Lines

Who's Smith!?

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Our very own cook!!! <laugh>

5. Forgot_My_Lines

I bet she's on a hefty wage! TV Chef to cook meals!? I dread to think the catering cost.

Did you see the Russell Martin day Video!? Did you see the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner buffet!?

No wonder we haven't got a penny to rub together to sign a player!! And they haven't even earned that kind of treatment!!!

JM Fan likes this.
  6. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Bit surprised at this. I only saw 2 live games this season but in both Naismith was one of our best, if not the best, player. The problem is that all of these players, and others, are earning more money than they can earn in all other Championship or lower leagues and no Premierships Clubs would be interested. They have every right to just see out their contracts. Like it or not, and I am quite happy with this, Wes is in the same situation but if we play both Naismith and Pritchard then we will need both Wes and Maddison as cover although we also have that lad on loan to Dundee who I assume will return and is also under contract. Rudd, McGovern and Matthews in the GK area does not inspire me with confidence and I cannot see that Toffolo has done anything to justify him being anything than 3rd choice LB. Personally, I am also delighted to see the back of Bennett and the remainder were too old to be even considered for further contracts.

DHCanary likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spot on <ok>
    From perpetual sick-note 2 or 3 seasons ago to Calamity Jane as soon as he got a decent run in the side. I've seen cries on here, twitter and elsewhere "but why Ruddy and Bennett"
    Well sorry, but if a new broom is to sweep clean, it has to get into all the corners and do a thorough job <ok>

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  8. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Fully agree Cromer. When we are promised a major cull what sense would there be in retaining players who are out of contract and/or at the end of their careers? Ruddy got the jitters whenever he made a mistake and then just fell apart and if you ignore all his mistakes and his inability to mark whoever he was supposed to mark then Bennett was a half decent third choice CB.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  9. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

At least we will now be getting a new defence which we have been crying out for for ages. Just hope it's better than the last one.

10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Sixty nine goals conceded in the second tier of English football??
    It can hardly be any worse <yikes> <doh>

11. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Not sure about Jarvis. Granted he's injured more than fit but when he has played I seem to remember him being quite handy. We seem to have a few players in his position so no bother if he does go but I'd not put him in the "get rid" bin just yet.

12. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Yay.... I hope this inspires us to get a decent defense! I expect even Gordon Banks would struggle with our defense over the past few years. Is a measure of the responsibility have to lie with inept coaching as well? Either way we need a new start in defense!

JM Fan likes this.
  13. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Delighted with the clean out. Sends a message to the current remainers that we are not a retirement home. That Bassong was still here shows just how shoddily we were renewing contracts. How he went from Player of the Season to plonker of the back four amazes me to this day.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've seen him in a couple of under 23 games and whilst he has displayed flashes of brilliance, he hasn't overly impressed me.
    Just seen this news - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...r-as-canaries-look-to-continue-cull-1-5000276
    It would certainly trim a large chunk off the wage bill and is another example of AN's DISASTROUS transfer dealings (£8.5M!!!) and I don't remember anyone being strongly in favour if his recruitment. As the article states, his game has improved over the last few weeks and IMO, he is a better player with AP in the team than when Wes is playing.

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Our resident ITK has unsurprisingly re-surfaced after a period of inactivity.

unknown‏@Norwich12435678

The player RBennett decide for the best to leave.
    Contract there for this player, not sign. You know I know :emoticon-0112-wonde

16. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Naismith on a free?! I'm not buying this for second. I can understand cutting your loses, but this would be throwing money away.

JM Fan likes this.
  17. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Morning 1950, I just think it´s about time we seriously went down the youthful route, even if it does take a few years. I can quite easily understand your feelings about Naismith though, I thought he´d have much more to offer too, when he came, but he´s done it far too seldom. I ´d have thought keeping Martin, Howson (new cpt?) Dorrans, Wes and Jerome, would be quite enough of the old boys for next season. But as you say, I´m sure Naismith would happily see out his contract here, so would I if I was a player, but put the price low enough, and I´m sure Celtic or Rangers would come running, that way we´d at least lose his wages.

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Great news

19. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Wouldn't upset me if all 3 go. I think Tettey perhaps more than any other player sets the wrong tone of the team and perhaps sums up all that is wrong at the moment. An aging player on a downward slope who is unable to play sufficient games for a Championship player, even when not missing through cards or injury. His inability to quickly turn defence into attack has constantly held us back and not help in releasing pressure on our defence, not that a lack of goals is the reason we failed to get promoted.

chinacanary and Walsh.i.am like this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Pretty sure the only reason he featured so much was the long term injury to Louis Thompson who, on the odd occasion he did play, looked far more assured and composed than Tettey has in the last 12 - 18 months. Hope he's made a full recovery by August <ok>