1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Climate debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eric Le Merde, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

The effects of human-caused global warming are happening now, are irreversible on the timescale of people alive today, and will worsen in the decades to come.

Global climate change has already had observable effects on the environment. Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and trees are flowering sooner.

Effects that scientists had predicted in the past would result from global climate change are now occurring: loss of sea ice, accelerated sea level rise and longer, more intense heat waves.

What do you think?

Jammy 07 likes this.
  2. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

???????? Contact that Greta gob sh1te Scandinavian bitch, she’ll get you up to speed.

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Countries like India, Russia and China won’t ever play ball but then you look at the West and our desire for affordable goods.

The population growth around the globe also fuelled by our desire to help feed the starving in Africa and a few other places. I’m not stating let them starve but the millions charity donates for goods to be sent must leave a footprint.

During COVID emission dropped 6.4% which was far less than expected, this is the scary thing, it proves we’re just not going to reduce output nearly enough in the foreseeable future https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00090-3

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Overpopulation.....and if you look at various headlines from the past this has been predicted before, what happened to the prediction of an ice age? Maybe the sage Attenborough will be along shortly to give his wisdom it seems nobody bar Greta gets a look in....<confused>

ristac likes this.
  5. Eric Le Merde

So does this quite dire scenario that is being predicted lead us to throw up our arms and say we can't make a difference so live, drink and be happy etc or are there any things that should be done? At this stage I honestly don't know but genuinely I would be interested to hear what people think about this "Armageddon" type prediction. I'm sure we all have children or relatives younger than us that will have to deal with this problem, if it is correct.

Here in Australia we are hoping innovation and technology will solve the problem. It's only recently that our government has actually accepted that there could be an issue. We are however quite a small part of global CO2 numbers, but does every little help?

6. Eric Le Merde

I don't think, apart from drawing media attention, she helps advance the discussion. If there is an issue then her generation and beyond could have to deal with it but honestly I don't think she helps and is a focal point for haters and derision.

2 pennth likes this.
  7. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Hope their predictions are better than their Covid ones

ellandback, FORZA LEEDS and OLOF like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No it doesn’t but on a personal level I’ve certainly cut back a bit. The largest area for improvement is certainly vehicle use but in an ever changing world it’s no longer acceptable to want things delivered in 3-4 days time, Amazon even offer same day (before 10pm) delivery now.

Australias figure does not take into account the many bush fires that happen on a yearly basis, nor those in places like America. Government officials predict 830 million tons were released in 2020 from Bushfires in Australia. That would jump Australia to 5th on this chart https://climatetrade.com/which-countries-are-the-worlds-biggest-carbon-polluters/

I agree with your comments on Greta, she means well but she causes more resistance. Going back to her generation, schools no longer expect you to use books and pens, it’s all typed up on a powered PC. Kids have PCs at home, next to their games machine, probably a TV next to their monitor.

Their iPads, headphones, mobile phones all on charge not to mention game controllers. God forbid you expect a kid to walk to school, all those parents with their engines running in the morning warming a cold car then sitting outside the school again as they pick them up.

Huge companies like Apple ensuring their products have a two year lifespan. Mobile data, 3G 4G 5G and 6G being worked on, huge masts being erected everywhere.

Throw in the increasing population, oldies living longer, the average family having three cars by the time the oldest turns 17. We’re also living in a world where blaming politicians and governments for everything is the normal and not looking at what we do. If the government came up with a plan that would cost the parent of a child an extra 30 minutes a day, or cost the average household £30 a month to implement all hell would break lose.

Smokers put 84 million tons of C02 into the atmosphere every year, this figure doesn’t include the 5% deforestation it creates. It doesn’t include the extra carbon footprint it creates with ill health and medication. I’m not blaming smokers but just pointing out another area that gets overlooked.

9. Eric Le Merde

I don't

10. Eric Le Merde

But getting down to basics what do you think should be done. Corporates, Governments and extremists of any persuasion are a good groups to point at but do you think we should be doing anything?

11. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Another lie so the bastards can charge us more tax.

OLOF and Eric Le Merde like this.
  12. Eric Le Merde

But do you really think that?

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

And all those things you mentioned especially the gadgets the kids have/want do you see them changing! You also didn't mention all those cows etc burping and farting increasing the co2 :emoticon-0131-angel you can do as much as is possible to reduce your footprint, it won't make an iota of difference....see China for an explanation :emoticon-0148-yes:

ristac, 2 pennth and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  14. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Like seemingly everything else in society, it appears you have to have polar extremes (pun intended) of opinions these days.

You're either a doomer or a denier.

I'm in the middle. It's real. We are causing it/exacerbating it. It will have significant effects on our lives and most definitely on those of our children. How serious? That's still up to us. I remain optimistic that science (generally at its most productive in times of emergency) will help find ways to meet the ever increasing demand on resources in ways that help stem the demise of the planet. But at the same time I recognise that there are no guarantees and it requires governments to view 'self interest' from a different perspective than short-term local votes.

We should all be mindful and do our bit to help buy time but as countries we should be investing as heavily as possible in solutions to electricity generation, battery power, water shortages, food production and so on. Even, if you're a denier, what's to lose from the world having more efficient production, greater efficiency and cheaper reliable energy sources etc etc.

Eric Le Merde and esteponawhite like this.
  15. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

Go to the OLOF. He'll tell you global warming is a myth perpetuated by the government to get us all to stay at home and not mix with others for fear of creating pods of CO2 by gathering in large groups and laughing a lot.

ellandback, 2 pennth and xbpod like this.
  16. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Glad it wasn’t me who rattled the cage

17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What can be done if you’re trying to reach an agreement with China, Russia and India? Americans go ape **** at just the mention of gun laws so you haven’t a chance of getting them to cut back.

Like Milky said, science is probably the best chance of reversing things. Green Energy must be a part answer, slow down population growth which certainly would meet a rebellion

18. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

The planet will look after itself.

As Jeff Goldblum said "nature will find a way".

It's overpopulated. Too much **** and pollution. The planet will cull us soon to sort the ecosystem out. Its usually disease (covid?) or famine (africa/asia) but with vaccines and gmo foods and science basically letting humans carry on exploding in numbers it will find another way.

Places will become uninhabitable, or the weather disasters will become worse forcing us to huddle together even more leaving us to stew in our own cesspit of pollution, crime, disease until the numbers decline enough for the planet to balance itself out.

Luckily, the probability is that it won't be a problem in our lifetime or maybe even another couple of generations lifetime, certainly in the area where Britain is.

Tha Africans, Aussies, Central Americans and Asians are going to be the first to succumb and we are already seeing the migrations away from these areas.

Anyway.... enjoy your evening.

19. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Afraid I can’t get interested in this climate thingy until thunderbum does one(and those behind her) and until China India and America get serious about cutting emissions in the meantime I will carry on regardless

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

What annoys me is that global warming is a natural phenomenon. Its cycles will last as long as the Human Race - and well beyond.

For me, it's the unnecessary poisoning of the planet that's the big problem. It's quite different from global warming, but the results can be similar.

The key 'poisoning' culprit today appears to be excessive CO2 production. There are ways of dealing with this, but it's so much easier to point at certain countries & blame them, rather than to do something positive. And yet 10(ish) years ago, it was announced that there was an effective way of fighting back! An artificial tree that can absorb more than 1000x of CO2 than a real tree can. Fairly cheap to put in production too, & the design seems to be spot on. Yet it's been ignored. That tells you exactly how interested governments are to deal with the problem.