1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Debate Part 2 Ben Woodburn

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I agree - I'm sure he will get mins throughout. I just don't want to see him as the bench option every match because we really should have better options to call up on.

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So if we are playing the usual, what is our best bench? 7 players I think?

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I'd say

Karius/Migs
    TAA
    Lovren (assuming VVD Signs). If not, then Klavan
    Gini
    Origi/Solanke
    Sturridge
    Milner/Robertson/Moreno (depending on who starts)

luvgonzo likes this.
  4. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I think this kid's something special. I think he will make the bench and get a bit of playing time, how much depends on injuries imo. Quiet, unassuming, totally focussed and for his age not easily pushed off the ball. Plus Barcelona haven't made us an offer so we should be able to keep him .... for now <whistle> <laugh>

jenners04, DirtyFrank and luvgonzo like this.
  5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah tough to get in when everyone is fit.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  6. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

He should change it to....The Incinerator!

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Ben The Incinerator Woodburn?

Going to cost a fortune to get that on the back of a shirt.

8. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Nope...Ben>The Woodburn>Incinerator

**** Ben it makes me think of hqdefault.jpg

luvgonzo likes this.
  9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Okay calm down jimmy, TAA has only had like what, 3 appearances. this time 2/3 years ago you were all raving about Ibe, Gomez (some people with Flanno), Wisdom and Suso. Sterling made it but none of the other boys have really

One is a full time england international, the other one a great prospect but still up and coming

You can hardly claim one is very close to Clyne, for the record i think Clyne is one of the best (defensively) in the league (weak aerially though)

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Clyne needs to up his game, run down the wing stop pass sideways or backwards just doesn't cut it, I'd have TAA in ahead of him as well, the lad has some ambition about him.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

So does Moreno but no one is banging about him being being the new LB (the man can't stop playing like a left winger). The most important thing especially in a flat back 4 is that your full backs are solid. TAA has a bit about going forward, whether he can defend remains to be seen (remember him making a few mistakes last season when he did play)

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

His defending is pretty good, not as good as Clyne he needs to improve but he's not like Moreno and does hold his runs until play has developed.

Moreno has also learned this in the last 2 friendlies which is nice but I still don't trust him.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

In fairness bobby you have not seen much of the lad.

frankly the lad is very good going forward but raw as raw can be defensively. What you've said on clyne is quite fair, but his main issue is playing safe. he's a back passer and you really need to play it into space for him to run onto or he will control it stop dead and play it square or back.

Taa is a very good prospect but defensively he has a lot to learn.

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

As i said, TAA has played like what 2 PL games if that and some cup games. I wouldn't really count friendlies as we know thats all mickey mouse. I'm not saying he won't go onto be the next cafu but to equate him to a seasoned England right back on the basis of 2 games and to say he's good defensively is a bit of a joke.

He will get better with games and it'll be great that you are developing youth but to say he's close to Clyne is super rose tinted glasses.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

well that is and isn't true.

If klopp wants them to play forward a lot then its their job to play forward a lot. Thats his tactic so they can't be in tw places at once.

Now for other tams one full back might go and the other stay or there might be two DMS to let them go... or in city's case they was supposedly CMs or something...

But klopp needs more than solid. IF all he needed was solid he has flanagan who is quite simply awesome until the ball comes within 5 feet of him.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I haven't and you are correct, likewise i didn't see much of wisdom Ibe etc etc.

But to compare TAA and Clyne and say they are really really close based on his youth appearances, cups and at 160 mins of PL football alongside some meaningless friendlies is too much for me

17. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah well you are probably right about that.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

wisdom at 18 looked good, but unfortunately he is as dim as a post and he looked good comapred to lads who ended up in league 1. Ibe had the physique to be a player but he too seems utterly bereft of brains in a footballing sense. He reminds me of david amoo now.. that lad was awesome beating up u18s but never looked up and ended up in scotland.

Suso is where? Ac milan.. football brain.

Gomez.. he got two injuries.. he is completely one footed and now looks short of experience too. nice lad but plays risky balls, positioning not where it should be. .. he has very little time to learn it now.

The message would be who has the brains and the work rate rather than raw talent. TAA has a bit about him but he's got to show it. Woodburn has the brain ithink but he's not got the pace. I think klopp trying him in midfield will help him

Kent is another guy... he's got the build as well in terms of he looks like he can cope physically but the lad is a runner. I don't think he's up to the prem. At best if he gets chances he's nathn redmond... he might make a career but who knows

Peopel want the "scouse heart" too so thats why these guys are getting pushed.

BobbyD likes this.
  19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The problem is most Liverpool fans are sick of Clyne, he's a good defender but next to useless going forward. He used to be decent, I think his pace has gone over time and he no longer believes he can go past a man.

TAA looks a decent defender and very good going forward so fans are starting to sway towards him.

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

And good for it. I wish chelsea would give their youth a chance even if it meant we were not as successful as we are now (maybe a bit of balance, some years youth, some years buying the league, at the moment i'm in the former cycle) but it appears we shall never get this as we seem to be selling off all our best.

What i object to is saying how close the youth are to your established stars. Imagine if i said Tammy Abraham is probably is really close to Morata and Batshuayi, you'd probably think i was mental. Likewise Baker to Matic or RLC to Willian