1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread The Drama of the FA Cup

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

My prediction is on...6 more to go

2. Spanish

Hmmm, gonna be difficult now<laugh><laugh>

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Damn it

Oldham score

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Sloppy passes it seems, might be a chance to bring on Team B to show their merits. Other L1 teams losing to L2, thats the good old FA Cup.

My forecast holding good at 3-1, unlike someone else who was Cup Happy!

Spanish likes this.
  5. Spanish

Wtf is going on, I'm watching Barça so not got a clue how we are playing but after being 1 up early, i thought we would kick on and stuff them

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice, I could just hear the song that was written by that fan this week.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Walton saves a penalty

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Well, who predicted this scoreline? Last thing we need is a replay.

Credit to Oldham. Serious risk of railroading our League form. Gotta be Team B to go up North!

9. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

The draw for the next round is before the replay right?

that might be a contributing factor as to who we take up to Lancashire

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  10. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Defo scowey.

frustrating game; as per the league the 4 forwards aren’t finding ways to combine well and pull teams apart. As technical players they should be able to interchange much better. Like a poor mans Man City.

Bonne was unable to win any of the many long balls sent up to him and against their 3 man Def he struggled. had no clear cut chances and our forwards were unable to get past them enough. It’s a defensive sive set up we struggle with in the league too with 1 striker and often not enough Men to aim at for crosses and the 3 cb’s just hoover up.

good to see Chaplin on for Edward’s as a left winger.

Celina came deep second half to collect as he was awol first half and not brought in by his team mates at all. Partly why I’d like to see Fraser alongside Morsy because the progression from midfield into the forwards and into the final third is really a bit uninventive. As we can’t win any high balls and have no second striker to feed flick ons even if we did win aerially that lack of cleverness ans collective interplay from tricksters like Edward’s and Celina and Chaplin is a major problem.

11. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Glad I didn’t waste an afternoon on that!

In other news I see our friends up the road will be dusting off the open-top bus!!

12. Southcoastoldgaffer

Obvious to many of us that one day, hopefully soon, PC will scratch his head and say..

"Why the f...k dont we try 2 up front for a change?"

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Why would you change anything up front when we regularly score goals for fun? Maybe late in a game to try to recover a losing position but otherwise if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

14. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

It’s a valid point especially when you’re slogging against LTD L2 opposition and you have a 6 foot striker on the bench who scored a hatful last season. I thought he would have Been an easy choice to get game time and offer that aerial outlet Bonne doesn’t. After all, we’ve won 5, lost and drawn 5 a piece so whilst things are more fixed than before we’re still not a settled dead Cert team with a dead Cert outcome against whatever opposition.

the idea that an old fashioned two up front will be better only works if you have the personel. Ian Marshall won every long ball I ever saw and flicked it on perfectly for Mathie. We don’t possess a player like him. What we do have is some excellent technicians that we lacked back then. So packing the team with them makes sense in a game that nowadays has more technicians than grunts and hoofers because they tend to win games.

Even with two up top though, with our squad, there’s a lack of creativity from the midfield with the two sitters, neither of whom are a ‘regista’ in a Pirlo way. So things are a bit stodgy in there unless the 10 drops deep or we add the flair in there by sacrificing one of the 4 we currently have and using three in midfield like Liverpool or Di Matteos (inherited) Chelsea with lampard, easien and that wonderful Portuguese meireles where the spark of creativity came from deep and fuelled the attack. We’re playing it up to these guys up the pitch and there’s just no time or space to create much by then.

15. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree Bucky, even on our good days i.e. Portsmouth, Doncaster and Wycombe I don't feel the balance of the team has been quite right. There's no doubting one thing, we have quality but whilst Bonne has been superb he certainly lacks in some areas for a lone striker, he's great at running the channels, being in the right place, causing a nuisance but I don't think he's a players who's going to hold the ball up and sometimes does have quiet spells in the game.

Again the 3 behind him whoever it is have quality on the ball but play 100 miles an hour, there's alot of runners in there and sometimes perhaps our play in those front positions could be a little more nuanced. Alot of those players look better when they're hugging the touchline out wide, rather than cutting inside.

When it's going our way those front 4 are devastating but when it's not I sometimes feel they're not as involved in the game as they should be and that puts pressure on other positions especially the CMs and the full backs. There does feel a gap between the 2 CMs and the 3 attacking midfielders/forwards and would prefer to see either more of a ball playing no.10 in there or a support striker. We basically need to see those 4 positions hold onto the ball abit more.

I've never been a big fan of playing a lone striker and certainly feel in games we certainly could change the formation sometimes to a 442 so Bonne is more supported up top and we can hold on to the ball better or a 433 with an extra play maker in midfield or even a 532 with the CBs stepping up into the positions that Morsey and Evans sometimes occupy to leave them to be a bit more attacking.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Any way to see the replay online?

17. Spanish

Don't think so Yorkie

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Listening to Radio Suffolk. Doesn’t sound like we’re playing well, but then sometimes the commentary bears no resemblance at all to the events on the pitch!

19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Time to step it up lads, goal down now

20. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like Rakeem and Idris getting bullied in midfield.
    Need to start sticking the boot in and being tougher